[LE] Can someone help me with this strange bug..?

nikolaf

Hey all,

I have made an interior cell in my mod, but for some reason, a bug persists in it. I made it to look like an exterior, an island surrounded by lava; the thing is, everything works okay in the Creation Kit, but when I load it in-game, a piece of the lava floor (not missing, a new one, if I'm seeing right) spawns in the center of my island OR near the entrance/door to the cell. I do not know why this keeps happening, but it's a problem.

There is no lava piece in the CK in the cell in that place, it just randomly appears at one of these two locations. I've duplicated the cell, and in the second one, the floor piece appears only in the center (I think). I do not know what to make of this... Can anyone help me?

Interior cells have limits in their dimensions, meaning that you can't go in a straight line indefinitely or for that matters exceed those dimension limits - borders.

if your meshes that are placed in 3d space are beyond the " Borders/Limintations " they will automaticaly be move to the center ( X, Y, Z = 0, 0 ,0 ) or in some cases wherever your coc Marker is.

Unfortunately there is no way to see in CK render window those " Borders/Limits " other than your own experience gain after a lot of cells contractions and/or experimentation.

When you reach that point, the only thing you can do is turn the other way.

* Cell " limitation/border " are like a big square invisible box that you are "Allowed" to construct only in it.

Thanks for the info. I thought something like this was the case...

Anyway, do you know how far are the 'usable' coordinates? I found a post for Fallout 4 that said: "From -32768 to 32768 on each axis, Havok doesn't work beyond that and CK will actually warn you."

I tried removing a lot of tiles, I had 4096 for the lava floors, now around 3000. It doesn't seem to fix it yet (I checked, the farthest tiles go ~30000 on the axis) If I go any further, though, I'll have to change the whole area...

Sounds like you need to put something this size in its own worldspace, much like Bethesda put Blackreach in a worldspace. You don't need to care about land or sea so just create a new worldspace in the CK and try copying everything into it.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_Exterior_Worldspace

I don't remember the coordinates is been so long ago (what i'll suggest below) and is has become an automatic process for me after so many cells and experiments.

In contrary to Fallout 4, CK doesn't warn you here.

What you can do to find out the coordinates is to put a corridor mesh (oneway mesh) in a test cell, the first mesh starting from X, Y, Z = 0, 0, 0.

Place them in a straight line and test in game, if the result is, let's say = 50 meshes = 30000 axis units then the dimensions will be.

99 meshes in X axis

99 meshes in Y axis

99 meshes in Z axis

This won't take you more than half an hours.

In your situation i would do what agerweb suggested.

Unfortunately there are things you can and can't do in an interior cell and vise versa.

* I had the opposite problem to yours with 3 of my massive heavy load cells, i had all three of them in its own worldspaces but because i was having big... Big issues with lighting, exterior cells lighting system was a real problem i couldn't achive what i was aiming for, i had to sacrifice weather system for lighting and move everything in an interior cell, this cost me four month of extra work !.

Lighting is a different challenge in an exterior cell which is pretending to be an interior space; but you can at least check out how Bethesda did it in Blackreach. Pro's and con's as always.

Hmm if it is around 30000, I might be able to avoid using worldspaces. My intention actually was for an interior with weather effects, but as you say, it can't be done with interiors. So I might actually do it.

What you proposed is possible, I'll experiment with the axis and see how far it goes.

On another note, if I'm to copy everything into a worldspace, how would I go about copying navmesh into it? I've never done something like that, after all.

I think you would have to redo the navmesh, dont think you can copy and paste that. To copy everything you would have to wrestle with TesVedits copy with features. I have only used it for exterior to exterior cell copying not sure whether it will work for what you want.

It doesn't work for 'cell to worldspace', the CK hangs forever when I try to paste the objects. Navmesh or no. And crashes if I boldly attempt to copy navmesh parts...

Too bad though, the weather effects would have been perfect. I'll try to test the cell limit now and see if that can be made to work. Also, is there a limit to how many objects/activators can be in a place or the whole cell?

Edit: FIgured out the limit. It seems to be exactly 30000, after that, objects spawn in the center of the cell.

Edited by nikolaf

Lighting is a different challenge in an exterior cell which is pretending to be an interior space; but you can at least check out how Bethesda did it in Blackreach. Pro's and con's as always.

The way Bethesda did Blackreach doesn't come nowhere near close to what i've done.
I've done things that haven't been done, nor in the game or in a mod ( at least from all the mods i've played ), example:
To achieve by not using load doors or a cell to cell transition, a smooth and realistic lighting transition from a pitch black dark dungeon > to a bright open space (canyon) > to a semi bright semi open space (close canyon) > to a frozen pitch black underwater cave > to an epic ice cave with small sky holes and each one of those with their own atmosphere and corridors transition using different lighting, and all of this in the same cell.
The only way i could do this was only in an interior cell in which i can have total control of lighting and to develop an Environmental Script that will handle all aspect of it ( all except wind force ).
* My main goal is to offer the player a nice steady visual experience without the need to load continuously different cells in order to achieve different atmospheres.
Edited by maxarturo