[LE] Can someone help me with this strange bug..?

nikolaf

nikolaf

" My intention actually was for an interior with weather effects, but as you say, it can't be done with interiors. "

It can be done but requires more than a good knowledge of Papyrus and CK to achieve it, here is where modder's innovation comes in !.

" how would I go about copying navmesh into it? "

You can't copy NavMesh to an exterior worldspace, the exterior NavMesh works completely different from the interior.

" It doesn't work for 'cell to worldspace', the CK hangs forever when I try to paste the objects. "

You can't just copy/paste everything and expect CK not to crash, you need to Copy and Paste in Place sections/groups of meshes, the smaller the groups the smaller the chances of CK crashing.

" Also, is there a limit to how many objects/activators can be in a place or the whole cell? "

You should keep track of your object-memory count in the top left of your Render Window. I think the limit is M#550.00% (850.00 MB / 157.00 MB).
The objects load will have different performances in different systems, the heavier the object load > the heavier the performance impact > the bigger the need for more and targeted optimization.
Optimization is critical for heavy load cells, so that the engine doesn't render everything simultaneously but in sections of actual objects real time visibility.

Have a happy modding !.

Edited by maxarturo

Thank you for explaining it to me!

I don't necessarily need 'real-like weather', I could do with an animated skybox. Just add a static object somewhere up on the z-axis and animate it. Can it work like that?

Edit: It works.

Edited by nikolaf

" Just add a static object somewhere up on the z-axis and animate it "

I guess that you mean " Movable Static " FX, if this is what you mean, then yes ( as you already found out ), but you can go one more step further with it ( if you don't already know this ).

If your cell - sky hole has let's say a " Weather Ice " sky showing ( the sky you can see from the hole ), this sky system has its own lighting emittance data that can be transferred to the " Movable Static " FX, meaning that the color of your " Movable Static " FX can change according to the time of the day and synchronize itself with the " Sky ".

Here is a short tutorial that shows the process with pic, is as simple as pie.

Go to " Using Effects and External Emittance ".

You can add real weather to an interior cell ( rain, snow, wind... etc ), but the real problem and challenge is to attach and synchronize all of this FX with the " Sky ", which in an interior cell is just an animated image with no weather system data to extract, nothing like the exterior weather system works.

Nevertheless, you can add some cool " Camera Attach " FX to your cell like mist, fog, wind, wind sound loop, dust... etc, but most of them require a custom made script to combine them, because they are pretty lame by themself, and you need a combination of FX to have a nice and realistic result.

Thank you for the detailed information and link. Yes, I made it work as you described, though it took me a while.

I've run into another problem with another interior cell. I've made a static skybox (it is supposed to be 'static'), but it doesn't show up in-game.

The problem with this one is that i have set Fog Near to 4096 and Fog Far to 14000, which is perfect for the area, but then the skybox is hidden by thick fog. The Fog Near option isn't a problem in this case, but the other one.

I basically need to set it over ~25000 to be able to see parts of the skybox, and that's with a smaller one of scale 5. I'd like to use it at scale 10, but that is impossible with the current cell lighting.

I want to keep the fog settings the way they are, but also be able to see the skybox in the distance scaled to 10. I checked the 'Visible When Distant', 'Never Fade', and even 'Is Full LOD' options, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Edited by nikolaf

" Lighting Template " fog needs to work side by side with " Light Fade Distance ", " Lighting Template " fog will disable all light sources after some point ( depending on your set up ) there is nothing you can do about it.

What you are trying to do ( from what i can understand ) can only be achieved by not using " Lighting Template " fog at all or setting it very far, but by using " Camera Attach FXs " to simulate the cell's fog and setting the " Light Fade Distance " in the " Lighting Template " as far as possible.

* Never use 'Is Full LOD' options, use it ONLY FOR TESTING PURPOSES !.

I've managed to solve the issue in a completely different, albeit simpler way!

It took me hours, but it finally did it, all I had to do was lower the skybox in the cell, and voila! Since it is a sphere, the top was closer but still far enough to look like sky, and with the fog in the mix too.

It is preferable to use - make an actual hole in your cell, and use the " Show Sky " ( no use sky light ) options in the Lighting Template of your cell, it is more realistic and you need this option ON in order for the " Emittance " in your " Mouvable Static FX " to work in game.

Edited by maxarturo