How do modders handle nif collisions these days?

Nuparu00

So...I have wanted to add a collision box to my item so I can interact with it. It turns out that is quite difficult.

There is not many tutorials or documentation for this topic and even the ones that I found are unusable - since 3ds max 2013 is basically unobtainable.

So my question is how I should make the collision box for my items without 3ds max. I suppose that there has to be some way as people are releasing mods. I do not think that every modder that released some mod has some super-secret modder-only copy of 3ds max 2013.

I've been making static collection (SCOL) out of small objects like wood planks following the shape of target mesh, and then copying the combined physics of that SCOL to the target mesh in NIFskope. This method is pretty flexible, as it can work on complex shapes, but is very time consuming.

That seems to be a somewhat decent solution. Do you know about any guide/documentation about how to do this? The only one I found has the images no longer available. I have successfully created the static collection and tested its nif - that works fine. However, I have issues with copying the collision data to the nif file with my mesh. I have tried copying the branch that contains hkNPCollisionObject with no success.

EDIT: Ok, I have just got the collision box working by copying the mesh to the SCOL nif. Now I just have to somehow make it "movable".

Edited by Nuparu00

Ah good, you got it working! payl0ad, I think the most flexible collision sources are in the Machine Kit folder, as you can cover just about any geometries combining those pieces.

Just in case someone else is wondering about how to do this, I've created a step by step tutorial.

For this example I will use "RailroadScanner.nif" as this one contains no physics data :

34555-1569070358-1466322263.png
34555-1569070324-1265189323.png

1. Open Creation Kit and place the RailroadScanner in your interior cell :

34555-1569070331-511018351.png

2. I'm going to use "MacRod07" static object from the Machine Kit as a collision source (to illustrate the point about using multiple small objects as the collision source) :

34555-1569070335-465350795.png

3. I've flipped the MacRod07 upside down, and placed 6 of them to create the shape :

34555-1569070340-327003893.png

4. Select the collision source pieces and then select the RailroadScanner (whatever you select last will give the center point for the SCOL), and right click + select "Make Static Collection" (or alt + O). This will create a new static collection.
5. Open this new static collection, and press the "Recreate NIF from Data" button :

34555-1569070344-878946705.png

This will create a new NIF in the folder : Data - Meshes - SCOL - (a folder with your .esp name).
6 Open this new NIF in NIFSkope :

34555-1569070348-1737839210.png

As you can see, now this mesh has the "PhysicsMerged". You can now delete the branch containing the MacRod pieces. You will be left with this :

34555-1569070353-1678812175.png

Now your NIF has a collision :

34555-1569070364-1558652445.png34555-1569070383-373779723.png

Well, I still do have the 2013 version of MAX as well as the HCT. Too bad Autodesk pulled it completely, as it's the only tool that can export physics data properly.

I usually offer other modders to create collision for them as it's just a few clicks. What I need is just the source NIF, and what type of collision you want to have (static, prop, animated, etc).

If it's not a hundred meshes, you may PM me if you want me to create collision NIFs for you.

Oh cool you guys got it sorted. I'll admit I posted the joke as more of a reminder to come back to this as I was pretty sure I knew of a youtube guide for it but didn't have time to search... I was mistaken though as I could not find the video.

I usually offer other modders to create collision for them as it's just a few clicks. What I need is just the source NIF, and what type of collision you want to have (static, prop, animated, etc).

If it's not a hundred meshes, you may PM me if you want me to create collision NIFs for you.

You are my new god.

Just in case someone else is wondering about how to do this, I've created a step by step tutorial. [....]

Nice little tutorial, thank you very much DiodeLadder!