Who is a**hole? Mystery follower who lives up to his name

automanic

I recently started a new save in FNV and when I exited Doc Mitchell's house, he was waiting for me. His name is literally "Asshole" and he has no interactions other than I can pickpocket him.

When I press E to speak to him, it simply zooms in slightly, then releases. He doesn't speak at all, no sound or subtitles.

He is very annoying because he has this weird looking gun that looks like a normal pistol or something with an antenna attached to it going out in the direction of fire. He exclusively uses this weapon even though looking in his inventory via pickpocket reveals nothing more than a Fire Axe.

He lives up to his name because he frequently gets in my way, reacts to enemies much faster than me, and steals my kills. He will kill a target in 1-3 shots with perfect accuracy and unlike a normal companion, no XP is awarded to me.

He is impossible to aggro or kill. Shooting him does nothing at all. He is invincible. I have no idea what purpose he serves. If there is any indication I was supposed to see to what he's there for and if he plays any role at all, I have not found it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of him, let alone what mod he is actually a part of. I have scoured through pages relating to all my installed mods and I can't seem to find anything relating to Mr. Asshole.

I am desperate, someone please help me.

You are the second person to report this unexpected "companion" this week. Haven't heard back from the first poster, so we don't know which mod is adding him.

Please see Issue - Find the source mod-index of an object in-game under the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article. See the "Help: Form-IDs" article if you don't know how to interpret that information.

If you would be so kind as to report the results, I'll add the info to that wiki article to warn others about it.

-Dubious-

You are the second person to report this unexpected "companion" this week. Haven't heard back from the first poster, so we don't know which mod is adding him.

Please see Issue - Find the source mod-index of an object in-game under the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article. See the "Help: Form-IDs" article if you don't know how to interpret that information.

If you would be so kind as to report the results, I'll add the info to that wiki article to warn others about it.

-Dubious-

Oh thank you so much!! It looks like it's coming from the BummerBoi's Mega Pack mod!

Of course, I have no idea how to address this right now without simply disabling the mod, but I guess that's a sacrifice I'll have to make until a fix is found. I don't think I've even found any of the weapons the mod adds yet so it's not big loss.

I disabled the mod and loaded the game and sure enough, he's gone.

Thanks again for your help! It's much appreciated :D

Thank YOU for reporting back. The author's advice for disabling (in the mod "comments" page) follows (expanded upon by me):

Enter console mode (default key is "~") and click on the companion (important to ensure the next command operates on the correct "Actor"). Then type in the command "disable" and save the game. He should be gone (until the next "new game").

Note: his "activator" is not presently known. It may be that he will re-join you whenever you exit Doc's house. The only reports so far have been from people starting a "new game". Apparently he was an experiment in creating a companion which was never completed and not intended to be included when v1.0 was released.

Added as 'Issue - Obnoxious Companion A**hole' to the 'Miscellaneous' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

Thank YOU for reporting back. The author's advice for disabling (in the mod "comments" page) follows (expanded upon by me):

Enter console mode (default key is "~") and click on the companion (important to ensure the next command operates on the correct "Actor"). Then type in the command "disable" and save the game. He should be gone (until the next "new game").

Note: his "activator" is not presently known. It may be that he will re-join you whenever you exit Doc's house. The only reports so far have been from people starting a "new game". Apparently he was an experiment in creating a companion which was never completed and not intended to be included when v1.0 was released.

Added as 'Issue - Obnoxious Companion A**hole' to the 'Miscellaneous' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

This worked for me! Thanks again! Glad I could help fix this bizarre problem.

• 2 months later...

-Dubious-

Oh thank you so much!! It looks like it's coming from the BummerBoi's Mega Pack mod!

Of course, I have no idea how to address this right now without simply disabling the mod, but I guess that's a sacrifice I'll have to make until a fix is found. I don't think I've even found any of the weapons the mod adds yet so it's not big loss.

I disabled the mod and loaded the game and sure enough, he's gone.

Thanks again for your help! It's much appreciated :D

this did not work, maybe I am doing it wrong. I have made sure A**hole is directly in front of me. I typed ~ and it does not allow me to click on the "companion" so I type disable but it does not allow me to save. all other commands are highlighted except save. I have also tried disable actor, disable companion, and disable a**hole [without the sanitizing]. If you need a screenshot, let me know. Thanks for your help.

The "tilde" ("~") key is the FNV game default key assigned to bring up the "console command line". (On some keyboards the tilde is the upper case version of the backtick/"accent grave" ("`") key, which does not need to be "shifted"; on others it is under the "ESC" key or elsewhere. On some keyboards/regional versions this key may be different, but you can try the mod "Console Key Rebinder" if necessary.

An old problem has been with the Microsoft "infrared device" driver installed but not used. Use "control panel -> system and security -> system -> device manager -> human interface devices -> microsoft ehome infrared transceiver -> disable or uninstall". If you choose "uninstall" you will be prompted to reboot. "Disabling" shouldn't need a reboot.

When you are in the console, all that you will see different is a blank line at the bottom left edge of your screen with an "underscore" (_) as it awaits your input. You should then be able to left-click your mouse on your target actor/object.

If you determine that "A**hole" does indeed come from some other mod, I would appreciate hearing about to add to the wiki.

-Dubious-