How can i fix this white space?

Sullaysur

Actually you don't need Roombounds. Even Bethesda didn't used them in most more complex interiors. PreVis also works in interiors. Interiors can be made out of multiple cells. Look at cells like Sentinal Site. They just used PreVis which is less of a hassle and works good enough. At least in my tests.

Ah well, unless someone like me comes along, decides to build a settlement and disables previs for the cell - that's how I know :smile:

Beth didn't care to make them Roombounds/Portals proper either, that's right. So, many interiors have these "voidspace bugs" w/ previs disabled :/

Confirms my opinion on previs: It's much more of a really dirty kludge than a solution. Unless Beth's "problem" was how to get away w/ sloppyness, heh.

• 4 weeks later...

Beth didn't care to make them Roombounds/Portals proper either, that's right. So, many interiors have these "voidspace bugs" w/ previs disabled :/

Can things of that kind be called "bugs"? They are the result of user's destructive intervention, so Beth can't be blamed here. Think i completely misunderstood the situation primarily, but anyway, when previs is disabled, shouldn't all the behind be visible instead - the new room (actual space fill) - as opposite to void being shown, if vanilla door removed and original previs is active for the current viewpoint?

Can things of that kind be called "bugs"? They are the result of user's destructive intervention, so Beth can't be blamed here. Think i completely misunderstood the situation primarily, but anyway, when previs is disabled, shouldn't all the behind be visible instead - the new room (actual space fill) - as opposite to void being shown, if vanilla door removed and original previs is active for the current viewpoint?

That would be the case if Bethesda didn't implement them at all. Instead they did a half-assed job. So rather than performance plummeting like a rock with a rocket booster attached when previs is disabled in interior cells, you just get some performance impact, disappearing objects (which sometimes include bits of the wall) based on where in the room you stand, and, if the Cell does not have any sky data, glimpses of The Void.

That is why people consider it to be a bug, because disabling an optimization system shouldn't cause objects that are right in front of you to disappear, then reappear if you turn the camera at a 45° angle away from them and take two steps back. Also, Bethesda purposefully made the system auto-disable previs and precombineds if your mod touches a precombined REFR without regenerating them, which makes it easier for your mods changes to be applied but also makes it easier for the systems to be disabled accidentally.

And I wouldn't really call previs a dirty kludge. It is a great system - for a game that doesn't allow modding. For a game where you promote modding as one of the selling points, it is a lazy alternative* to actually putting in the effort to make proper roombounds and portals (for interior cells), or having occlusion planes associated with the regular meshes (which would have had the added benefit of letting settlements you build in-game get the same benefits, allowing massive settlements with a minimal performance impact.

*Bethesda developed the precombineds system, which is its own mod compatibility problem, but previs is third party. Check out the Umbra occlusion culling.

Still, not any bug in regular sense, just leak lack of knowledge. Btw, as i understand, roombounds is a working concept, if set up properly, so it's user's duty to build'em up, if desired.

Well, yes, dynamic occlusion would be great, previs is a complete bs imo, it's like a 21st century outside there...

Edited by hereami