Unable to install New Vegas to a different file path despite all my efforts

EshamTheUnholy

I have spent days without a solution to a problem I have not had until I recently got a new PC. My Steam copy of Fallout: New Vegas, no matter what I've tried, seemingly forbids that I try to install the game into another path than Program Files. Since I've noticed how this is a major issue with New Vegas on Windows 10, I wanted to perform a completely clean install which involved going into Steam's settings to change the path. Even if I managed to add another path in the list by modifying the configuration file, before the game begins installing I am prompted with a disk write error. Regardless of if I set the install to Program Files, Games, ect. it simply won't allow me to do so.

Feel free to judge me if I should be posting this problem in the Steam forums, but after countless threads I've looked through my experience was quite unsatisfactory and perhaps the community here has better knowledge on this sort of issue. Rarely anything on those threads seems to actually help with many of the issues I experience with NV on PC.

To expand a bit on what jim_uk said: You can only have one "Steam Library" folder (generally considered the "Steam" folder but actually a sub-folder under it: "Steam" has the client files which can remain where they are, and 'SteamApps' (for older games) or 'Steam Library\SteamApps' (for later or moved games) has the game files on any given disk drive, but you can have one on each drive (e.g. one on "C:" and one on "D:", etc.). Assuming you have installed any other Steam game(s) to "C:\Program Files", then you have to move the entire "Library" with all the other games out of there first. You can tell the "Steam Client" under the "Library" tab in "online mode" to create a new "Steam Library" on a different drive.

Please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

Disabling "User Account Control" (UAC) only stops Windows from prompting you to grant "administrative" credentials to an application that the system says must have a "UAC elevation". Disabling UAC does not automatically then enable the permission for such applications. Instead, (for all intents and purposes) it automatically denies them. (Please read this MS article on how it works in Win10. The basics have been there since the inception of UAC with Vista.)

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-

I just now reinstalled my steam to a new folder I created on my C drive called "SteamGames". Now I checked just to be sure and New Vegas is currently installing to that folder. I feel as if I should've just done that to begin with but I was reluctant to do anything else until I had some advice on this issue specifically. I'll wait for the game to install and post another update on whether or not I have further problems, although since I live in the middle of the woods it probably won't be today.

Edited by EshamTheUnholy