Help with DDS files

Cthorthu

Hello

Usually, I like to edit DDS images from vanilla game and from mods for personal use retextures. In most cases I can do it (I use photoshop DDS plugin).

But sometimes I can't. There is a "type" of DDS images that I cannot edit. This type of files have no icon in windows folder. Photoshop can't open this images (format issues).

Also, GIMP can open this images, but the result is not good (I open the image, export a copy of that image, replace original image: the result on the NIF model is not the original).

I think there is a lack of data of alpha channel or something similar. But I tried to do many test editing the alpha channel and have no good results. This causes a problem with specular and normal maps.

I tried DDS Converter 2, but have no good results :tongue:

Can you help me? What program can I use?

Thank you for reading

And excuse my poor english

Have a nice day

Maybe these textures are BC7 compressed. If you use Photoshop, download Intel Texture Works (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin). It's probably the only plugin for PS that can read those files. Some mod authors use this format as it's the same size as DXT5 but better quality.

Maybe these textures are BC7 compressed. If you use Photoshop, download Intel Texture Works (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin). It's probably the only plugin for PS that can read those files. Some mod authors use this format as it's the same size as DXT5 but better quality.

Need to update my old Photoshop XD

Thank you!! :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the last "Texconv.exe", I tried on the Define Map, and... The texture is now all black :

texconv.exe -y -f DXT5 tricentennialx1arm_d.dds

pause

But nothing ingame, maybe I have to do it on the normal map only ?

EDIT : No, still nothing with the normal map in DXT5... But the texture is not all black this time, it didnt change of color, only in "shape" (cant explain or publish a screen, this forum is a bit limited about that :'( ...).

Edited by nemesis6661