Activating second wave

PepprmintButler

You guys might have noticed that although it's still not activated without modding (AFAIK), the menu bugs have been ironed out and -to my great pleasure- marathon has been added.And it's really nice.

I'm a little worried that something is wrong about it though - after the base attack, I need 2 devices to build the hyperspace relay. Of course the base attack gave me only one. I see two possibilities :

1.bug

2.two base attacks :)

I'm rooting for number 2 ! Still waiting for any sign that it would come up though. My current objective is still to build the relay but that's not gonna happen as is

If you never get a second one there "Might" be a work around in that your can see the "Chance" to get the relay to 200% and "maybe" you'll get two of them. It wouldn't effect "normal" play at all since after you use the first one the extra would just kinda sit in storage..

I have NOT tested this, its just a theory of something you could do to fix you needing multiples.

I tried this and can't get it to show up. I used the Modpatcher and changed ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE to = 1 but the option is not there. I also changed Sectoid health to 10 just to test and that worked. Edited by rikjs

I tried this and can't get it to show up. I used the Modpatcher and changed ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE to = 1 but the option is not there. I also changed Sectoid health to 10 just to test and that worked.

have you completed the game on any difficulty yet? (I made the same mistake!)

I'm a little worried that something is wrong about it though - after the base attack, I need 2 devices to build the hyperspace relay. Of course the base attack gave me only one. I see two possibilities :

1.bug

I'm rooting for number 2 ! Still waiting for any sign that it would come up though. My current objective is still to build the relay but that's not gonna happen as is

I'm afraid that it is probably 1 as fwict the marathon change just alters most things by a factor (of 2 by default).

Change the marathon setting to 3.0f and seee if you then need 3 items...

(If you do, then change it to 1.0f) get passed that "Hurdle" then set it back to 2.0f

Edited by Anbar

I tried this and can't get it to show up. I used the Modpatcher and changed ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE to = 1 but the option is not there. I also changed Sectoid health to 10 just to test and that worked.

Whoops. Not yet. I feel a bit stupid now.

Whoops. Not yet. I feel a bit stupid now.

yeah so did I! ;-0

(finished it on xbox, hadnt even really played it on the PC!)

You guys might have noticed that although it's still not activated without modding (AFAIK), the menu bugs have been ironed out and -to my great pleasure- marathon has been added.And it's really nice.

1.bug

Try stunning another one of those energy shard guys on a ufo mission. That seems to be the trigger to getting a base... I know it wouldn't make sense since you did it already but who knows...

What are all these options supposed to do?

Here is what was found in the demo :

Damage Roulette Weapons have a much wider range of damage.

Total Loss Lose all gear from soldiers who die in combat.

Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.

Hidden Potential Rookies will have random starting stats.

Results Driven As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.

New Economy A country will offer less funding as its panic increases.

War Weariness Overall funding levels drop inexorably with every month that passes.

High Stakes The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.

Diminishing Returns The cost of satellites increases with every one that is built.

E-115 Elerium stores will degrade over time.

The Blitz The aliens will target a larger number of cities every time they launch an abduction attack.

Absolutely Critical A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.

More Than Human The psionic gift is extremely rare.

The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.

Marathon The game takes considerably longer to complete.

Alternate Sources The power requirements of all facilities are increased.

As you can see only some of these are available in the menu. There are traces of the others, maybe they are not implemented yet. (although the options in the activated menu are functional, the whole thing seems quite "beta" for the moment. I suppose it's planned for release in a future patch.

Thanks for this!

1.bug

Try stunning another one of those energy shard guys on a ufo mission. That seems to be the trigger to getting a base... I know it wouldn't make sense since you did it already but who knows...

I actually tried this and now I just have a second shard sitting in storage. I can't use it for anything....

I have been playing insane ironman with marathon active and a few other second wave options.... it's rough...

EDIT: I changed the variable for marathon from 2.0f to 1.0f and it indeed allowed me to build the facility, then changed it back without issue. Looks like this is the way to go for now until/unless they release a completed second wave mode in a patch or *sigh* as a DLC.... I really hope it isn't the latter.

Either that or until some intrepid modder can alter only that particular aspect of it.

Edited by Sepherose