[GUIDE] Using VSCode and CK With Mod Organizer 2 for Papyrus code editing and easy compilation (includes project template)

nimrodxy

This guide is now obsolete!

Everything is included in the extension now!

just download vscode from https://code.visualstudio.com/ and type @joelday into the search box of the extension installer to install the extension. It now includes instructions for everything!

I finally got this all set up the way I like so I wrote up this guide on how to do it. Basically this tells you how to:

• Use MO2 to keep your mod development files all in one place so they aren't mixed in with the game dir
  • Use VSCode to edit Papyrus scripts, easily compile them, and jump to compile error locations
  • Includes a VSCode project template with the needed configuration (you don't need to know anything about VSCode to start using it)
  • Also includes instructions for setting up Debug support

Click Here for the Guide and Template

Short description:

Project template and guide for the text editor VSCode that allows you to use VSCode with Mod Organizer 2 and Joel Day's Papyrus extension (syntax highlighting, completion etc.) to compile your Papyrus scripts with a simple Shift-Ctrl-B. Also includes an error recognizer for jump-to-error functionality, and instructions on installing debug support.

If you do NOT want to use MO2, here is a no-MO2 version of the guide.

Screenshot of what you get:

29491-1570728386-1585549388.jpeg

Edited by nimrodxy

There was an issue with the template not having a PPJ file that was needed by the language server. Check the guide because the file needs editing. I updated the template and the guide, so if you were having any issues with symbols not being found when trying to use this check out the latest template version.

(I'm planning to write some project generator code for the extension that will just generate this project template, but for now there's the template.)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick poll for people using vscode for Skyrim SE:

If you could use PPJ files for configuring builds like Fallout 4 does, would you want this feature?

(I'm currently working on eliminating the need for this template and moving all of the stuff the template does into the vscode extension, plus other features to make builds easier and more obvious to configure.)