Obsolete Masters

GoldenGlobesCEO

I try setting it up tomorrow and update the post, for now I have a question that might sound very dumb but here it goes.

First I started playing the game regulary and I got idea for a mod during gameplay so right now im using Vortex to manage mods and when I work on my mod I switch to a new profile which in theory is clean with only official dlcs installed and when im done I switch back to my regular gameplay profile so this might be a source of my problem I think, Anyway should I finish my gameplay and then start modding? or it dosent matter that much as long as I setup mod organizer correctly?

Not possible. not at least at this point. I know due to trial and error sessions, other wise I would be supporting that application here.

Portable is local, web site versions is gobble and does not allow what we are doing here.

It is best to use an external usb drive or any type of external drive you may own to accomplish these tasks.

Or--be very creative on your setup's as far as naming the directories and install paths to completely Isolate the modding assets from a globe program.

I try setting it up tomorrow and update the post, for now I have a question that might sound very dumb but here it goes.

First I started playing the game regulary and I got idea for a mod during gameplay so right now im using Vortex to manage mods and when I work on my mod I switch to a new profile which in theory is clean with only official dlcs installed and when im done I switch back to my regular gameplay profile so this might be a source of my problem I think, Anyway should I finish my gameplay and then start modding? or it dosent matter that much as long as I setup mod organizer correctly?

Not possible. not at least at this point. I know due to trial and error sessions, other wise I would be supporting that application here.

Portable is local, web site versions is gobble and does not allow what we are doing here.

It is best to use an external usb drive or any type of external drive you may own to accomplish these tasks.

Or--be very creative on your setup's as far as naming the directories and install paths to completely Isolate the modding assets from a globe program.

Could I in theory have GOG version installed for regular gameplay/testing and copy all of the files from install directory to an external drive and do my modding on that drive? sorry for all the question but im new to modding and have lots of ideas

Could I in theory have GOG version installed for regular gameplay/testing and copy all of the files from install directory to an external drive and do my modding on that drive? sorry for all the question but im new to modding and have lots of ideas

you can run both. I own both versions myself for modding reasons. you can install Galaxy on a usb and use MO 2 for your tools set and leave all the other stuff you currently have alone.

The issue most people have is drive space. Let me tell you a secret. at wall mart or your favorite brick and mortar store, you can buy usb cards, the ones used for cell phones. they come with a card adapter or you can get from FedX office a usb card to usb adapter and use any size card as a drive.

they are after all ssd cards. very fast and Isolated too.

The modding programs do not talk to each other unless you allow it or deliberately link them to one-another ---doing that is when dumb things take place.

That's a mistake. Do not expect registry entities to abide by your idea, the answer is NO. you can't

The programs them selves are linked to install directories for a reason, applications will fail if you move game root data away from the install paths.

But if you follow my directions to the letter? then you won't have any problems.

Jesus Christ, what are you recommending? Just use FNVEdit to delete master dependency (and you can also check if you're inadvertently using something you didn't want to use). It's a simple click on there. Much easier than all this bullshit. Just open your mod in FNVEdit, right-click, and select Clean Masters.

@WarMachineDD7: I think you misread the original question and would not recommend using "Clean Masters" to remove the DLCs except where they are unintentionally included in a mod, as it will not solve the problem of them being loaded by the GECK. By far the easiest way to handle this specific issue when creating a new mod is the following from the 'GECK: Common Problems' section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

Issue - GECK automatically loads unwanted DLC Masters

When you open the GECK, you may notice that it automatically opens all the DLC ESM files. Often this means you have to manually disable each of the unwanted files or they will become "masters" to your plugin each time you open a new edit session.

This behavior is initiated by the presence of files with those DLC names and the ".nam" extension in the "Data" folder. These are nothing more than a plaintext ASCII file with the name of the DLC on a single line internally, and a filename that matches the significant portion of the plugin name (e.g. "DeadMoney.nam"). (You can create a ".nam" file for "master files" you want to automatically be loaded when working on your own plugin. Don't forget to remove them when you move on to a different mod project.)

It is recommended to simply add a different extension (e.g. "DeadMoney.nam.disabled") to the unwanted "nam" files instead of deleting them. That way they can easily be restored when needed.

The GECK Extender NVSE Plugin can enable the bIgnoreNAMFiles option in it's INI file as an alternative to manually disabling them individually.

Kitty is talking about a setup for someone who is intending to get involved in creating mods, and keeping that environment separate from the one where you actually play the game. That does indeed get more complicated than the original question, but also addresses longer term issues.

@Purr4me/Kitty Black: Thanks for the tip about using USB Memory cards as SSDs. Hadn't thought of that. Might mention it is important to check you are using cables rated for the speed of your USB port (i.e. USB2 vs USB3) on both sides of the connection to avoid accidentally throttling your throughput.

-Dubious-

One of you are incorrect, this user just want only the main master file showing in the geck, that's all..

Simple. But is new at modding.

Tell me where I mentioned anything about what either of you are even talking about?.

Edited by Purr4me

there is no data loss as far as speed is concerned, rather it is a gain in speed.

It's cheap, fast, and very dirty...from a girl who knows the differences.

You need Clean Environments, and fast drives data.

These ssd cards are meant for extreme speed anyway. They are used in photography, and that's a hell of lot faster than any PC ssd drive.

EDIT: the geck ran through Vortex is a complete utter Joke.

The issue is to remove all Bottle necks for a fresh modder. Experiences I program are excellence beyond compare.

Not only will this set up allow more control over the GECK's really strange operational hic ups, there won't be any.

It will respond like it's on steroids. There won't be any need for extenders, or power up's unless he or she intends to involve script extending in their mod's.

I use this for others mods in diagnostics and it only takes me a few minutes to set up as well.

I go so far as to name the MO installations after the users nexus profile name to keep things isolated.

I can use this set up to make hot patches on the fly for mod's too.

But anyway, stick around and learn a few things.

Kitty Black.

Edited by Purr4me

When you load and edit a mod in the Geck, any ESMs that were also enabled at that time are added as masters. For example, creating a mod with these ticked would set them all as parent masters for your mod. The vanilla Geck and NV itself use the .NAM files in the Fallout New Vegas/Data folder to determine what should be automatically ticked when you start the program.

If you use Geck Extender, you can prevent the .NAM files being used, saving you from having to untick every DLC ESM before loading your mod.

You can use xEdit to remove the accidentally included masters from your mod.

When you load and edit a mod in the Geck, any ESMs that were also enabled at that time are added as masters. For example, creating a mod with these ticked would set them all as parent masters for your mod. The vanilla Geck and NV itself use the .NAM files in the Fallout New Vegas/Data folder to determine what should be automatically ticked when you start the program.

If you use Geck Extender, you can prevent the .NAM files being used, saving you from having to untick every DLC ESM before loading your mod.

You can use xEdit to remove the accidentally included masters from your mod.

How about we just simply avoid unnecessary editing for new beginner?

Why make things more complicated.