First ever mod - lore unfriendly

Dimentionalrift

Hi everybody!

Recently got some spare time on my hands, figured I'd try making a mod from scratch.

Been playing FO4 since launch, obviously not 24/7, not even 24/1...sometimes months would go by that I don't touch the game...also, never finished Nuka World and only finished the main story once, sided with the Institute (gonna try the other 3 at some point).

Anyway, so, in playing, I sometimes felt like something was missing in the weapon department, particularly when it came to heavy weapons.

The calibers just seemed...too small.

So why not make something to compensate for that...or, better yet, overcompensate, to the extreme?!

So, I've started learning how to model in 3DS and Blender to make a weapon mod.

The weapon is probably super OP and completely game-breaking, but I could always list it under God-Items in the Nexus.

This is my idea:

A portable bullpup tank cannon.

Not a tank rifle, that one's already made, or a cannon with a shield, also done (one of my favorite mods, by Skibadda), but a 120mm smoothbore cannon and loading system ripped from an M1A2 Abrams tank.

And bullpup, because otherwise, at 6 meters in length, the gun would take up roughly 40% of the screen, making the game unplayable in 1st person, and looking "super unrealistic" in 3rd...although, how realistic is it to begin with?

Anyway, the idea's like this.

Total length is about 6.5 meters.

A large counter-weight, auto-loader and recoil dampener at the back, taking up 30% of the length of the weapon.

The mid section would be shoulder-mounted, with a firing control system (fancy way of saying handles and trigger), about 20%.

The remaining 50% will be the rest of the barrel.

In terms of numbers, I was thinking of making it so that just by having the weapon in your inventory, no matter the level of Strength or the perks unlocked, even with an inventory with nothing in it other than the cannon itself and it's ammo, you would almost be over-encumbered.

IMPORTANT NOTE: FIRING THIS WEAPON WHILE NOT IN POWER ARMOR WILL KNOCK YOU DOWN AND INFLICT HEAVY DAMAGE, POSSIBLY CRIPPLING BOTH ARMS AND TORSO, SMALL CHANCE OF INSTANT DEATH AT LOW LEVELS!!!

Weapon (no mods, level 1 with no perks)

Weight: 500lb (real-world 120mm guns are between 2,600lb and 3,200lb...the ones I've read about)

Damage: 10K

Reload speed: 6 seconds

Max rate of fire: 0.16

Accuracy: 90%

Range: 300 (is it realistic for the game? Can it be bigger?)

VATS AP cost: 100

Critical rate: 75%

Critical damage: x1.75

Ammo (no mods)

HE - 120mm

Weight: 25lb (a single round)

Type: Explosive, ignores 30% armor, AoE up to 12m (x0.75 at 3m, x0.5 at 6m, x0.25 at 8m, x0.1 at 10m, x0.05 at 12m)

DU - 120mm

Weight: 30lb

Type: Kinetic, ignores 100% armor, penetrates every target until hitting a game wall, AoE at every impact including the final one (x0.5 at 3m, 0.1 at 5m)

Weapon mods

Loaders:

1) Mechanical auto-loader: default

2) Hydraulic auto-loader: +25% reload speed, +30lb to weapon weight (530lb)

3) Electrical servo-loader: +50% reload speed, +75lb to weapon weight (575lb)

Recoil dampener:

1) Mechanical: default

2) Hydraulic: -25% recoil, -10% AP cost in VATS, +10lb

3) Servos: -50% recoil, -20% AP cost in VATS, +15lb

Targeting system:

1) None: default

2) Scope: x1, x2, x4 zoom, +5% accuracy, +2lb, can improve stability by holding your breath (why the heck not? I mean, it's just an over-sized sniper rifle, right?)

3) Targeting computer: x1, x2, x4 zoom, +5% accuracy, +5lb, can mark targets (only mark them, no ATGMs, this is an American MBT cannon, not some red Soviet tin can! BETTER DEAD THAN RED!!!)

Barrel:

1) None: default

2) Rifled: +10% accuracy, +5% armor penetration

3) MARS MK V: replaces the normal tank gun with the Magnetic Acceleration Rail System (MARS), changing a lot of the weapon's properties. Every launch creates a small "fire nova" around the player, sets everything on fire including the player for 3 seconds at -100HP/sec (my reasoning is the immense heat caused by the acceleration of the projectile through friction with the air). The projectile travels just like the regular guass/railgun in the vanilla game. However, it now ignores 100% of the armor, removes critical damage completely, increases VATS AP cost by 25%, decreases recoil by 10%, increases weight by 150lb for a total of 650lb (not including any other mods) and increases the damage x2. If the player doesn't wear Power Armor, firing the weapon will also cripple both arms, but will not knockdown or insta-kill the player.

Right now I'm working on the sketches for weapon and all the parts.

What do you think?

Does this mod sound like anything you'd want to try out?

Kind regards,

D.R

Edited by Dimentionalrift

I am not a big user of weapon mods (if I remember, I have just one 1 time downloaded "immersive swords" or something like that for Skyrim), but weapon mods in general landing most times always in the hotfiles if not a big mod comes out, or a large set of clothings (like the pampas [pampers?] set as example).

So... I would bet that there are definitely people out there that would like to see your new weapon, if she is bug free of course :smile:.

Edited by taryl80

10K is extremely high damage and for most part is redundant anyway. the highest health enemy only has like 2k health.

either way this mod does sound interesting, but hopefully in its final form you tune the damage way down, as to not make the game very easy and boring.

i am definitely interested though. we need some proper hardware in this game.

Thanks for the input!

Yep, I've got no problems with changing the base numbers...I actually didn't do any research on the wiki yet on what the numbers should be.

I just used my foggy memory, trying to remember what was my damage with the Fatman when I was level 140 with the explosives perk at max...think it was about 2K, but now that I think about it, can't remember that either :P

Does 1000 base sound more reasonable? In the end, it's just a base value I'll add to a formula, everything else is a multiple of said value.

Finished a rough sketch of the thing late last night...haven't doodled in ages, pretty rusty.

Gonna do some of the heavy work today, hopefully will have something to add on here for people to get a general idea of what it would look like.

Cheers,

D.R

yea 1k damage is much more reasonable :smile:

i would make it so its very expensive to use, such as make the ammo for it very uncommon. but yea these details are really for when you are ready to do the ESP work.

Fatman = 485 Damage - (No Perks)

Fatman = 727 Damage - (Nuclear Physicist perk)

Fatman = 1454 Damage - (Nuclear Physicist + Heavy Gunner Rank 5)

Fatman = 1490 Damage - (Nuclear Physicist + Heavy Gunner Rank 5 + Demolition Expert Rank 4)

and then if you have Nuka World DLC - the absolute most powerful weapon in the game will be the Nuka Nuke Launcher

Nuka Nuke Launcher = 794 Damage (No Perks)

Nuka Nuke Launcher = 1590 Damage - (Nuclear Physicist + Heavy Gunner Rank 5 + Demolition Expert Rank 4)

thought i would write that for ya, so you have something to compare your weapon to :smile:

Note: i am pretty sure Demolition Expert only affects the Fatman Projectile itself, not the actual launcher. hence the small damage increase with that perk, however if it also effects the launcher itself, then we are looking at over 2k damage

Note: all damage numbers includes both the Fatman Launcher itself damage + the Fatman Nuke. <-- the actual effective damage of the Fatman Launcher however is much higher then numbers listed, due to the radiation damage, and blast radius.

with all that, good luck with your project, i look forward to it :)

Hey there,

The idea is that the cannon is a one-of-a-kind prototype.

During the BoS main quest line, there's a mission to raid some place on the coast, where you later learn from terminals that it was the place where they developed the Fatman miniature nuclear catapult...though I can't remember the name as I've only seen this in one of Oxhorn's lore videos (love that channel).

My thinking was, what if they had a rival company, also rushing to produce a prototype to win the contract, but either failed to deliver it on time due to costs of manufacturing the parts for the weapon as well as making the ammo.

You'd find it in some warehouse while exploring the Southern edge of downtown Boston, locked behind a blast door with a Very Hard locked terminal being the only way in - no keys, no shortcuts, because I'd rather that players who'd want to get it would almost certainly be inside, or at least have in one of their settlements, a full suit of Power Armor, so that they can actually pick the thing up and walk around with it.

Lore-wise, I guess I could make something up, like an obsessed pair of engineers continuing to toil on the project in secret in order to show it off to military in spite of them losing the bidding war against the creators of the Fatman.

Or perhaps they were contacted by an outside 3rd party and given the funds to finish the prototype for them, rather than for the US government.

Or maybe it was all a front to create a weapon to fight the alien Zetans? FOUL XENOS!!! DIE SCUM!!! NO PRISONERS!!! FOR THE EMPEROR!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Also, it being a OOAK, there will only be a handful of shells next to it (considering each shell is over 20lb and the cannon itself is 500lb in it's basic form), but there will also be blueprints for the various mods and ammo types lying around the containment chamber - poor guys had amazing ideas, but never got the chance to make them a reality before the end of the world came knocking.

Quick question - can you switch ammo types in FO4 like in FNV? For the life of me, I can't seem to remember basic mechanics...this is embarrassing...

D.R

you can switch ammo types in f04, however not by default (if we are talking on the fly ammo switching), on the fly ammo switching would require a script.

their is 2 mods that i know of that has on the fly ammo switching capability:

Grenade Expansion Pack 2: which if remember correctly does it via reloads

and Modern Firearms: which allows ammo switching via hotkey.

their is however: loads of ammo mod, which is a modders resource (ammo switching framework), so you could potentially use that mod for on the fly ammo switching: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9057/

however if we are talking about standard method of ammo switching (as in changing the ammo type, like you would do if you was for example changing the grip of a gun) then yea, via the weapons workbench. which would simply require you to create object modifications (OMODS)

Note: on the fly ammo switching, as in being able to switch ammo types at any given time, without having to use the weapons workbench.

Hello again, everybody!

After several long hours of trials, errors and lots of tutorials, I've finally managed to get to a point I have something to share.

This is a collection of basic geometry, not even finished yet.

I have no idea if I'm even doing it properly...first time modding, like I said.

Anyway, here it is:

https://i.gyazo.com/f21b135236d2c66df2fe545b7298ea8e.png

(the pic works for me, but do let me know if it doesn't for you)

The mid-section I messed up, so I have to redo the whole thing, again...the rotary shell loader is the only thing presentable at the moment...3 shells will be, like, the default you get when you pick up the weapon...the modded loaders will look differently - bigger and with more shells...I'm thinking first 4 shells, then 6 shells for the highest tier...8 would look too out of place.

Will continue either tomorrow, or on Friday.

Cheers,

D.R

The weapon sounds like fun albeit quite unrealistic. I don't wear power armor and so could not use it, but I find the idea of a superstrong gun intriguing. I made my commonwealth quite primitive (crossbows, pipe weapons and melee mostly), so a real punch weapon would be handy against the overly strong (deathclaws, robots, synths, to name a few), but it's hard to imagine how the primitive economy could make the ammo for such a cannon. And how do you run around with enough ammo, given the weight?

I think the sensible heavy weapons are already in the base game, the missile launcher which resembles the rocket and/or recoilless systems, and the fatman which resembles the nuclear madness. In my game a missile launcher deals 200 direct plus 800 explosive damage, a fatman 50 direct and 4.000 explosive damage. The problem is the access to and the weight of the weapons and the ammo (as it should be). Too heavy to carry them around on a regular base. But your gun is a bit weak compared to the effort and weight, if set at 1.000 damage.

Well, the idea is for it to be similar to the alien blaster from Fallout 3 - with the vanilla game only, without the Mothership Zeta DLC installed, you find the blaster next to the crashed ship and dead alien body with some alien cartridges lying around. That blaster is a one-of-a-kind, there aren't anymore anywhere else in the vanilla game, and the same goes for the cartridges - once you run out of ammo, or the weapon breaks, that's it.

The difference is that, at least with this cannon, it's human-made, and is housed with several blueprints for its mods and ammo, meaning that with high enough perk levels and crafting materials, you could, in theory, keep it loaded and operational.

The 1,000 damage was in response to G4M3's post, where he said that my original number of 10K was total overkill.

All the numbers are subject to change, as I am still very early on in the process of making the mod - Have to finish the weapon model, figure out how to prep it for the game, texture it somehow, make animations for reloading and firing, figure out how to import it and make it an actual weapon in the game, figure out how and where to place it, and a thousand other things I have no clue on how to do... :P

With regards to the power armor part, like I've stated in the original post, you don't strictly have to be inside a power armor to use the weapon at all, but rather it is suggested you are in one to negate/avoid the effects of carrying and firing it would have on you if you're not in one, i.e the knockdown, the crippling of limbs/setting yourself on fire and the ever-so-slight chance of catching that pesky "instant death" syndrome ;)

The weight of the cannon and its shells is just a poor attempt to somehow balance out a WMD.

D.R