All weapons useable by all classes

raabec

I've had some success, but running into a problem. Here's the story:

I could never comprehend how a rookie, limited to the assault rifle, would eventually be promoted, specialize in a certain class such as Heavy or Sniper, then never be able to use the assault rifle again.

Also, while getting on a one track mind with my research, I ended up neglecting my heavies throughout the game so Snipers and Supporters got to use fancy plasma weapons while my poor Heavies were reduced to the ancient ways of the basic LMG. I wished they could have at least used one of my spare plasma rifles in the mean time considering they trained with rifles as rookies, but that was never the case.

While looking through the DefaultGameCore I found the following:

The weapon properties towards the top of the file were laid out in the order of [Weapon ID] [Abilities 0-5] [Properties 0-5] [iValues for damage, range, etc.]

The [Properties 0-5] defined who could use them, what limitations they have (for example, the sniper rifle cannot be fired after movement), and a few other notes. As you may imagine, I am focused on who can use what.

The specific properties that determine who could use the weapon are eWP_Assault, eWP_Rifle, eWP_Sniper, and eWP_Heavy.

So I began by modifying all of the starter weapons (Assault rifle, LMG, Sniper rifle, and Shotgun) and setting properties 0-3 to the eWP's above so that each class could use all the weapons. The results are making my head hurt.

The success lies with the Assault, Support, and even basic rookies. They can utilize any weapon they want.

The problem is the Snipers and Heavies. While they will have their initial weapons already equipped, bringing up the weapon screen will show ALL weapons, including their own, unavailable to them.

I've been banging my head against the desk on this problem. While I swear I had the heavies working at one time, I cannot for the life of me figure out where I went wrong with them.

Here is where it gets strange. From this point if I set the sniper rifle back to where it originally was, (Properties[0]=eWP_Sniper, Properties[1]=eWP_MoveLimited, and the rest eWP_None), The sniper class will work regularly, but no other classes can use the sniper rifle. All this, while still having the other weapons contain the property eWP_Sniper, the sniper class cannot use any of them.

Before I even started working on the weapon properties, I've been looking for anything in the DefaultGameCore and other files that shows the Classes listing the weapon types specific to them, opposed to the weapons listing the class type specific to that weapon. Haven't found anything in that regard... yet.

I'm wondering if there is a conflict with snipers and heavies because of the skills they utilize. For example, how would a heavy go about suppressing an enemy with a sniper rifle since that skill uses, what I imagine, is a specific animation sequence (perhaps relying on an LMG? I haven't seen any properties or abilities within the LMGs that suggest a specific skill such as suppression relies on them.)

Ideas? Suggestions? I've never worked on a modification this in-depth before and this is the first time I've ever consulted a forum about mods so understand my technical experience at this is very limited.

I was interested in doing this as well, and I initially ran into the same problem as you. I tried adding the eWP_AnyClass property to the assault rifle. That's the property that universal items like medkits and grenades have. It allowed my snipers to equip assault rifles, but my heavies still couldn't. No idea why not. I added eWP_Heavy as the next property and that fixed it.

It is even possible to change the shotgun as a secondary weapon like a pistol. It shows on the right leg of the soldier, but ingame it doesn't work. If you change to shotgun ingame it plays the change weapon animation but the main weapon still remains. It DOES fire like the shotgun when you attack, it even plays the reload animation but the soldier holds his main weapon, not the shotgun. Haven't figure it out yet.

I can't believe I missed that eWP_AnyClass property. If only I read one more line lol, thank you PaxEmpyrean for that bit of information . Anyway, I used that and got the sniper working, then added the heavy fix you mentioned and here's what I have found so far.

In order for snipers to utilize Headshot, whatever weapon they use must have the eWP_Sniper property, otherwise I noticed it won't show up even for sniper rifles without the property. Also when using heavies, they won't be able to suppress without an actual LMG. So i think utilizing certain skills will require that class to be holding its class specific weapon.

Just for an example, I have sniper rifles set as:

Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass, Properties[1]=eWP_Heavy, Properties[2]=eWP_MoveLimited, Properties[3]=eWP_Sniper, Properties[4]=eWP_None, Properties[5]=eWP_None,

and the sniper class seems to work just fine.

I've done some quick testing up through laser weapons so it looks like this method runs pretty smoothly across the board. What I want to figure out now is how to enable the Heavy class to use a pistol as a secondary weapon instead of having to lug around a rocket launcher all the time. Adding eWP_Heavy or AllClass to the property hasn't worked, but that just goes to show NEFE.

I haven't tried using the shotgun as a secondary weapon yet. Its something I'd like to try out in the near future. I can't think of any way around what zerothenumber described.

If everything I'm working on somehow comes together I'll try to post any big finds or details. I don't think I'll be submitting a mod or file of any kind because I have a lot of big things coming up very soon and I won't have any free time for a while.

I think this little project is off to a good start anyway. Somebody's bound to take it to the next level.

Nice. Any downside to putting the eWP_Sniper or eWP_Heavy on all the weapons (except things like shotguns and pistols)? I'm assuming an Assaulter wouldn't be doing Headshots without the skill.

Shotguns as secondary wont work. Heavies without the rocket launcher as a secondary on their back won't work either. Heavies with shotguns or pistols as their secondary won't work aswell. All I managed do was set the rocket launcher as a backpack item, the heavy equips it on its back near the normal rocket launcher but you can't get more rockets ingame or something like that (because the ability to fire a set number of rockets has nothing to do with the rocket launcher itself...well sort of).

As far as I can tell right now that gamecore ini file is not the answer when it comes to actual modding of this game. Plus, at the end of the day, the game is really short and somewhat easy, so I don't know if modding is really necessary afterall.

I don't really see a downside to putting eWP_Sniper/Heavy on everything (I did just for giggles). All it does is make it available for use. A sniper can attempt a head shot with a shotgun, but its a short range weapon so you'll still have to consider that. I haven't noticed any real imbalance in the game. I haven't noticed too many benefits either early on other than the sniper using a primary weapon that doesn't have limited movement.

The biggest benefit I can see is later in the game. I can focus my research and production on a single weapon that everybody can use until I have enough time and resources to properly equip my squad with the variety that suits them. Especially when enabling Marathon through second wave, I won't have to neglect a class during the long research periods just to wait for the right weapon type to wrap up its research time.

And I agree, the game was a bit short and not what I expected (Wanted something more like the original). But we'll see what other mods down the road come out and what kind of replayability gets added.

Ok, I guess I'm missing something here. I load up my game but nothing is different.

Code example...

Weapons=(iType=eItem_AssaultRifle,...Properties[0]=eWP_Rifle,Properties[1]=eWP_Sniper,Properties[2]=eWP_Heavy,Properties[3]=eWP_AnyClass,Properties[4]=eWP_None,Properties[5]=eWP_None,...

Does AnyClass need to replace rifle or is it in the wrong order or do I need to start a new game?

Thanks again.

Edited by James009

Unfortunately, you need to start a new game to see the changes take effect. At least I've had to. Also that code should work fine, but if for some reason a class becomes broken, just relace eWP_Rifle with eWP_AnyClass and change the other AnyClass property to eWP_None.

Come to think of it, eWP_Rifle 'might' be necessary for the Support class to use Rifle Suppression (Lieutenant Ability) Similarly to eWP_Sniper being needed to use Headshot. Meh, I dunno.

Heres a tip if you plan on a lot of trial and error (And theres probably a better way than this)... To speed up having to go through that first mission before you can get to your base, change three things in gamecore.

Kevlar armor, (the top one I believe), change the health bonus to 40.

Find Weapons=(iType=eItem_FragGrenade and set its damage to 10 and radius to like 6000 or so. Too high (50000) crashed my game o_O

Scroll wayyyyyyyyy down and find the OTS Upgrades

OTSBalance=(eTech=eOTS_XP_II, iCash=250, eRank=eRank_Major)

Set eRank=eRank_Rookie

One grenade toss will usually knock the first mission out so you can get down to business and buying that OTS upgrade will make everybody a squaddie so you can test all the different classes at once.