All weapons useable by all classes

raabec

SHIV suppression is a Foundry project, not a weapon ability.

Short range pistols? My assaults wouldn't like that. Their shotguns already work at that range.

And rapid fire? Just imagine what a pistol-skilled sniper could do with a plasma pistol and some foundry pistol buffs...

The aiming reduction would hardly dent the aim skill of a sniper.

yeah but assaults can use assault rifles if they want range.

it doesnt make much sense to me (in "reality") for pistols to ahve the same ranges as Assault Rifles.

Having said that the "gameplay" reason for it is enitrely justified.

Currently using a pistol of range 17 in-game and its fine.... the assault shotgun penalty is over 10, so the pistol extends their range by 70%..... vanilla its 170% wygrdti

"And rapid fire? Just imagine what a pistol-skilled sniper could do with a plasma pistol and some foundry pistol buffs..."

Yeah thats why i was a bit undecided on rapid fire.

Also havent entirely made my mind up on headshot for that matter.

-------

re SHIV...I dont have the game files here but i was pretty certain the SHIV weapons are listed in with the other weapons and ahve suppression by default on them.

The thing to keep in mind is that the classes are balanced with their weapon in mind. The LMG weapons do more damage than assault rifles and neither one has an accuracy modifier on it, but the Heavy class gains Offense ("Aim" in game) at a slower rate than other classes so in practice the LMGs have their superior damage balanced out by their poor accuracy. I've been juggling this with my own mod project that I've been working on, and unlocking weapons for all classes is a big part of it. The main thing I need to learn how to do is edit the abilities themselves; I'd love to switch abilities between classes, edit their functions, or change the rank at which those abilities become available.

I can't contribute much to this discussion as I have no idea what most of it is saying, but 1 thing that annoys me is ...

I swap my sniper over to a laser/plasma pistol as she has incredibly good aim (117 with upgraded scope) and the damage the pistol does with the foundry upgrades and the +2 damage with pistols ability make her very deadly, so she can still be on overwatch after moving (not a big fan of the sniper rifle needing 2 "action points" but I can live with that one) I'd like her to be able to use the "Squad Sight" ability with ANY equipped weapon and not just the Sniper Rifle

As far as I know, we still don't know where the ability information is stored. Most abilities seem to be keyed to specific weapons, and you'd need to add pistols to the list for it to work with them.

A possible workaround is to add eAbility_Squadsight to the pistol, but if it works that would give the Squadsight ability to anyone using the pistol, not just those who have the ability unlocked. I've added other abilities to weapons this way and that's how it worked, but I haven't tested Squadsight specifically.

Making squad sight available to everybody with every weapon wouldn't be the worst thing in terms of just shooting. Only characters with a very high offense would be able to overcome effective weapon range at those distances.

The only imbalance I can see is for Assault skills such as tactical sense and aggression, where a soldier gains bonuses by number of enemies they can see.

Also if everybody sitting on overwatch can see enemies wayyyyy beyond their chance to hit and are still able to take a reaction shot... might as well just throw rocks at that point and hope the closer opponent doesn't decide to move next and close in on you.

I can't contribute much to this discussion as I have no idea what most of it is saying, but 1 thing that annoys me is ...

I swap my sniper over to a laser/plasma pistol as she has incredibly good aim (117 with upgraded scope) and the damage the pistol does with the foundry upgrades and the +2 damage with pistols ability make her very deadly, so she can still be on overwatch after moving (not a big fan of the sniper rifle needing 2 "action points" but I can live with that one) I'd like her to be able to use the "Squad Sight" ability with ANY equipped weapon and not just the Sniper Rifle

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8092169371_834124b4ee_o.jpg

As far as I know, we still don't know where the ability information is stored. Most abilities seem to be keyed to specific weapons, and you'd need to add pistols to the list for it to work with them.

A possible workaround is to add eAbility_Squadsight to the pistol, but if it works that would give the Squadsight ability to anyone using the pistol, not just those who have the ability unlocked. I've added other abilities to weapons this way and that's how it worked, but I haven't tested Squadsight specifically.

not true - you can restrict any ability to any property - such as soldier type.

See above image - squad-sight restricted to Sniper use only on Assault Rifle and Pistol/// no other class can do this.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/807501-modding-soldiers-weapons-and-items/

Edited by Anbar

not true - you can restrict any ability to any property - such as soldier type.

See above image - squad-sight restricted to Sniper use only on Assault Rifle and Pistol/// no other class can do this.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/807501-modding-soldiers-weapons-and-items/

How did you add the ability to a weapon while restricting it to a specific class? Also, does this work for any soldier of that class, or do they need to have the ability themselves as well?

Apologies for the double post. It would seem that some weapon abilities are class restricted. PrecisionShot only works for Snipers. Others are universal, like ShotSuppress or RapidFire. Weirdly enough, ShotSuppress seems to work fine for everyone. RapidFire shows up on the bar for everyone but can't be activated; it's grayed out like an ability that has no charges.