COOP Play With Friends

nexusmodaccount

Hi guys,

Firstly I'd like to thank all the people who've made mods for Dark Souls. The resolution/FPS/texture fix's totally make this into a PC game.

The next big thing needed is a way to COOP play reliably with friends.

I've read forum posts on this topic elsewhere, which really seems to polarize opinion. All I'd say is: what's the harm in having it? If people want to enjoy this amazing game with their friends, lets find a way to make it happen!

I realize it would require a completely different skill set to the usual type of modding. But honestly, the DSfix mod let the game wander places the Dev's were just too low level to handle. Someone out there must be able to do the same for COOP play.

If Summon Signs can be manipulated with trial and error, a full understanding of the process should lead us to mastering it - or at the very least significantly reducing the odds to make it quicker.

First though, lets brainstorm!

What are the parameters used to decide coop play? Have read there may be multiple servers, so how might we go about forcing the same server? Tried sync starting the game with a friend who lives in another country. Couldn't seem to get in the same game at all, so maybe it relates to geographical area somehow?

Heh anyways, welcome any thoughts on what some would probably call an impossible task. Will keep researching, to try and update with more info.

The unorthodox online mode is certainly a characteristic feature of the Souls Series.

Changing it is bound to be controvercial. It makes the rare encounters with other players that more special and memorable.

That said, today I tried about 20 times in a row to summon three different people, and every single time it failed. I could see their signs, but the connection simply couldn't be established. So I wouldn't be opposed to a bit more reliable online system.

An existing mod that could be interesting to you is DS Spectate: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/110/

Hi Kaffee, thanks for your input. It's great having the random coop - chance meetings of new gaming buddies that may never have happened otherwise. Being able to play with them again can only be a good thing. Mmm I suppose the solution to this would be classed as more of a crack / hack than a mod?!

Been wondering how the problem could be approached. Presumably the game traffic goes through a certain port, perhaps a program could intercept and alter that info? Read a forum post which said the games were P2P, maybe meaning that the users are linked directly? If that's true might be relatively easy to join two people up.

Will try messaging the creator of DS Spectate and keep you guys posted. Also, have heard of unofficial mmorpg servers being set up for games like WoW - sounds like the kind of knowledge that may also apply to this.