Cracking the Tech Tree

chimeracreator

So I've been playing around to see how item insertions work, and from what I can tell it is based largely on scripting events, but for the life of me I can't find what upk file these are stored in or any ini links associated with these. Here's a quick summary of what I've found so far which is mostly a retread of what's already know:

1. The defaultgamecore.ini stores both techbalance and itembalance entries which are used to determine how much time and resources are required to research and create items. These do NOT include links to special resources which means these are stored via a symbolic link somewhere, but the question is where.

2. All model / weapon combinations MUST be listed individually in the defaultcontent.ini file as these are referenced to armor kits and kit types. So a lot of copy paste is often involved in this even if using existing models.

3. Armor type determines how many small and large items you can use, so it's possible for an armor to grant use of two or more small items.

So, has anyone had any luck pulling anything for this?

did you notice that in the defaultgamecore.ini the production of workshop items, guns, armour etc, does have an iTime associated with it.. but somewhere that time is obviously being turned-off.

it would be great to turn that back on so that items are no longer manufactured instantly.

the upk format is just slightly changed for their needs

as udk use bytecode this can be decompiled quite nicely

it wont produce realy usable things, but good enough for have a peak ;)

What are you using to do the decompiling on the udks? I've had no luck sorting out how they're segmented so I can toss logical bits into IDA which has mostly stuck me trying to sort out string relationships, which doesn't tell much.

Are you cutting the UPK's into chunks before using tools like uhood and ue explorer? I've had no luck with the unreal package extractor or decompressor when applied to it directly. I know the entire file isn't compressed as there are straight plaintext strings and uncompressed ogg stream files within some UDKs.