Any luck opening UPK files?

acky1

Found the correct switches in order to get at the hi res textures. What I did was:

1. Copy the .upk that you want to work with into a working folder, along with gildors umodel as well as the .dll he includes in his package. Also copy the CharTexture.tlc (for soldiers or aliens) or Textures.tlc (for buildings, scenery elements etc) over.

2. From the command prompt, navigate to the folder and use the command line "umodel -export filename -dds. This will extract all the textures as .dds files, including the hi-res ones, into the Texture2d folder.

3. Use gildors ActorXImport script to import into 3DS Max.

Looking at how to go the other way now, getting it back to a usable upk. Looks like it should be easy enough to do re-skinning, but actually more interested in if we can create additional maps (URB_xxxxx.upk) although yes Caiman, I assume the same process could be used to add new assets like helmets, weapons etc. Would be nice if they just released something like Bethesda's GECK for FO3 tho, looking at the ini's it lookslike the model referencing is a little convoluted (or I'm just a little slow). Seem to have at least 3 of them where the files get referenced.

Hah! Got myself a mesh and texture! :D

Thanks ripptide2! :)

Is there an im-/exporter for Blender?

p.s.: I don´t model nor texture a lot- If I can do it, anyone can! :D Go wild, soldiers! :woot:

Edited by Caiman

OK, I've gotten to the stage where I can extract the mesh and low res textures from the UPK, and using gildors ActorX can bring them into 3DMax, but still can't find a way to get at the hi-res textures which I'm assuming are in the Textures.tfc and CharTextures.tfc files. Following some reading on gildors forums, I tried putting those files into the same folder as the .upk, and reading the log created during extraction I can see it reads from those files several times for higher res textures, but they don't seem to get extracted. Anyon familiar with or been able to extract from tfcs? Can't find much on the web.

Where the heck are the mesh files? Im wandering through the CookedPCconsole folder extracting everything and I can't seem to find them.

@KMA: I suspect you are correct as far as they are natively targas, at least in trying to repack them in UDK it wants .bmp, .tga or .png for textures when importing, and does not take .dds. The -dds switch just seemed to be they way to get textures extracted at a higher res. Without it, all the .tga textures seemed to be 64x64 or lower.

@Ashryu: the mesh is the .psk file, it's a skeletal mesh. Once you have it extracted you can import it into 3DS Max using the AxtorX script on gildors site. Max treats it as a skinned mesh on import, with the bone structure. Not sure what is out there if you don't use Max.

Still trying to figure a way to repack the upk, unfortunately not having a lot of success. UDK doesn't seem to like the XCom .upk files (at least it throws an error trying to open them), but you can rebuild the .upk with it. Takes a bit and still learning what all the settings on import or creation of the various parts of the file. I created a new texture (all white just so it sticks out) and added it to the upk, recreated all the Mat and MatInstance components and it shows up as an all white Titan armour soldier in the UDK viewer. When I use UModel on the new upk, it decompresses with all the same folders and files as the original (except for the new ones added obviously). When I added it to the Cooked folder of the game however, nothing changed. Both in the Barracks style view and on the tactical grid, the coloring is the same as original. The part I can't figure is that the game also did not give me any errors, so not sure if the "custom color" shader is affecting seeing it, if its only pulling the textures from the .tfc file (which does not get modified unfortunately) or some combination of the two. Trying to learn some more about the UDK (my head hurts) and reading on some of the other forums about how they do skinning in U3 games but if anyone has any insights, they would be more than welcome.

Cheers

Thanks for the info and the update ripptide

It was suggested in the "finding the first step" thread that firaxis had altered thier version of the UDK on a programming level during development, maybe that's why the UDK is giving you an error when trying to open XCOM .upks. I haven't messed with the UDK in over a year but I plan on re-installing it this weekend. I was going to try changing a mesh and seeing if that shows up in the game with a UDK re-packed file, just to see if it's possible, unless you or someone else has already tried that. In any case hopefully soon somebody can figure out a way to re-pack these things so that the game will recognize them. Thanks again for the information.