New Vegas Geck's Overseer desk

datdepdai2003

Im new to modding new vegas , and working on my first mod , it is a vault , i want to make the overseer desk open with the terminal inside the room , but i dont know how , i dont know anything about scripting , does anyone have a script of this ? i cant find it anything online , the closest thing i can find is a forum from 2013 but i cant make head or tail of it . can someone help me with this ?

You need to "Activate" the desk. Since you want to do this with a Terminal, you'll need to use a basic Result Script.

• First, double click the Desk you've placed in the game world.

This will open a new window with information about that specific instance of the desk. A "Reference" of the Base Object.

• At the top of this window will be an empty field, Input anything you like into that field. This is the "Reference ID" of this object, which will be used in scripts to refer to that specific object. I'll call it "MyDeskRef" for the purpose of this post.
  • Make sure the "Persistent Ref" at the bottom of this window is Ticked. This is required for the script to work.

Congratulations, you're done with the desk. Now we'll set up the Terminal:

• Create a *New* Terminal Object by either Duplicating an existing Terminal object, or changing its Editor ID and saving it as a new object.

It is very important that you create a *new* terminal object, otherwise you will end up adding your "Open" command to every instance of the original terminal that exists in the game world.

(The reason you'd want to duplicate is to save the hassle of manually specifying a model for the terminal, which would require you to have extracted files from the game's archives)

• Double click your terminal to open its reference properties, then click Edit Base Object to access its Base Properties. (or right-click, the Terminal in the Object Window and select EDIT.)
  • Create a new Entry. These are the "Buttons" the player will interact with in the terminal.

Most of the fields here can be filled out however you want and will be what the player sees in-game: The important one we're looking at is the Result Script field.

Anytime an Object in the game does something, like a door opening, a button being pressed; pretty much everything you can do with E (and more), we call it an Activation. So simply put, we just need to tell the Desk to "Activate."

Result Scripts are very easy for beginners to use, because they assume things. In this case, clicking the Button/Entry you added to your terminal will run the code we write in the Result Script field.

Even more handy is that the Function (or "Script Action") we need that will tell the Desk to Activate is literally, "Activate."

Script Syntax is something that's most easily learned by example (at least it was for me), so the highly complex script we need to write in order to tell the Desk to activate is:

• MyDeskRef.Activate

We're calling a Reference (The Desk) and telling it to Activate. There's not much more to it than that.

Assuming I didn't forget something, your Desk should now be opening and closing on command via the Terminal entry.

You need to "Activate" the desk. Since you want to do this with a Terminal, you'll need to use a basic Result Script.

• First, double click the Desk you've placed in the game world.

This will open a new window with information about that specific instance of the desk. A "Reference" of the Base Object.

• At the top of this window will be an empty field, Input anything you like into that field. This is the "Reference ID" of this object, which will be used in scripts to refer to that specific object. I'll call it "MyDeskRef" for the purpose of this post.
  • Make sure the "Persistent Ref" at the bottom of this window is Ticked. This is required for the script to work.

Congratulations, you're done with the desk. Now we'll set up the Terminal:

• Create a *New* Terminal Object by either Duplicating an existing Terminal object, or changing its Editor ID and saving it as a new object.

It is very important that you create a *new* terminal object, otherwise you will end up adding your "Open" command to every instance of the original terminal that exists in the game world.

(The reason you'd want to duplicate is to save the hassle of manually specifying a model for the terminal, which would require you to have extracted files from the game's archives)

• Double click your terminal to open its reference properties, then click Edit Base Object to access its Base Properties. (or right-click, the Terminal in the Object Window and select EDIT.)
  • Create a new Entry. These are the "Buttons" the player will interact with in the terminal.

Most of the fields here can be filled out however you want and will be what the player sees in-game: The important one we're looking at is the Result Script field.

Anytime an Object in the game does something, like a door opening, a button being pressed; pretty much everything you can do with E (and more), we call it an Activation. So simply put, we just need to tell the Desk to "Activate."

Result Scripts are very easy for beginners to use, because they assume things. In this case, clicking the Button/Entry you added to your terminal will run the code we write in the Result Script field.

Even more handy is that the Function (or "Script Action") we need that will tell the Desk to Activate is literally, "Activate."

Script Syntax is something that's most easily learned by example (at least it was for me), so the highly complex script we need to write in order to tell the Desk to activate is:

• MyDeskRef.Activate

We're calling a Reference (The Desk) and telling it to Activate. There's not much more to it than that.

Assuming I didn't forget something, your Desk should now be opening and closing on command via the Terminal entry.

i did what you told me to do , i didnt work

-I clicked on persistent reference

-changed the desk's reference ID

-make a new terminal by changing the editor ID

-delete every entries in that terminal

-make a new open door entry

-use the script you told me on that result script thingy

and when i get in the game , click on the entry , it didnt work

My bad, it's not Activate that you want to call on the Desk, it's: SetOpenState 1

SetOpenState 0 can be used to close it again. You can use the Conditions field (GetOpenState) to make it so that only one option will appear, depending on whether the desk is open or not.

Edited by Radioactivelad