Need help running the game

Deleted6131448User

Hello. I've been having some weird problems just trying to run the game.

It doesn't start or, at max, only the process is started, but nothing else happens - even shows "Running" on Steam, but without the game really starting. Very, very rarely, the game starts as it should.

I tried running it with these compatibility options on both XcomEW and its launcher, on various combinations: Windos 8/7; running as administrator; disable screen optimizations. Very few times it worked, most of the times it didn't. Some times the process was running at background, but the game itself wasn't.

I thought it was a problem with the "hosts" file, since I use Zonealarm firewall. Made sure this last time to enable writing on that file. At first, the game run, without any compatibility options selected.

The second time I tried running the game, at most 1 or two minutes after closing it first without doing anything to the hosts file, welp, the game did not start.

I've been running verify game files each time I finish downloading the game, and every time I press the start button - after verifying if the game runs or not, or after manually closing the process if the game don't start.

Also downloaded the last available version of Directx 9 from Microsoft website. The game and Steam weren't installed on Program Files or any variation of it.

Currently it is uninstalled since I lost my patience tinkering with it.

System specs:

Windows 10 64 bits 1903 update
Intel I7 7700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1050 w/ 4 GB
SSD

Please see the "Basic Guide to installing mods", the "Environment" section in particular. This has everything we learned about getting this game to run, "modded" or not.

Also it is very important that you run the basic game up to the Main Menu TWICE, before you attempt to add any mods or tweak any game settings. This is explained in the "Basic Guide" wiki article. "Verifying files" will break any mods you have installed, as in this game they virtually all (excluding only INI file edits) require making changes to the game executable.

Is your version of Windows 32 or 64-bit? (32-bit may require BOOT.INI changes to use more than 2GB of memory. See this 2-4GB game memory limits and solutions article.) XCOM EU/EW/LW is a 32-bit game, so you need the 32-bit versions of any downloadable tools or libraries, like "C++ Runtimes" or "DirectX drivers" installed on your 64-bit system. 32-bit libraries are not interchangeable with 64-bit versions. They install to different locations. There is a reason MS makes both versions available.

Some games try to install an older DX version they come bundled with. Those versions may not be compatible with the later versions of Windows, which is why you should manually install the version you know is compatible. Then those games will see that DX version is already installed and not try to install their bundled version causing incompatibility problems.

• When the DX installer asks where to install the files to, you choose any folder you like, but generally have it unpack the files to a folder on the desktop or one dedicated to that purpose anywhere, because this folder can be deleted or emptied after the final install is done. (DirectX does not actually get installed at this point. The files are only 'unpacked' from an archive)
  • Once the files are unpacked to this folder you open the folder and locate DXSETUP.exe (the actual installer).
  • Run this installer (as an Administrator) to finalize the DirectX re-installation.
  • When the installer is finished delete this folder.

Each game uses a specific DX file, or files, (e.g. d3dx9_32). A newer game may use two DX files (e.g. d3dx9_42 and d3dx10_42).

See the MS article How to make Win10 run DirectX 9.0 for more details.

I stopped playing XCom about 5 years ago, so I don't have any additional advice to offer.

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

So I seem to have this exact same issue. I've done the same things as the original poster with similar results of the game launching occasionally after doing something, but the game launches only once, after which it doesn't launch anymore again. I also happen to use Zonealarm as my firewall, and disabling it got the game to launch, but again just once. The game used to work just fine with Long War and the Long War Rebalanced mods. Right now I can get the launcher to start (where you can select enemy within or unknown) every time by making all the XCOM executables run as admin, but the game itself doesn't launch (only as a background process). I've also tried installing the game on 2 different disks, on an SSD and an HDD.

System specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel i7 4770

8 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 770

If you cannot get an unmodded game to launch at least twice to the Main Menu, you need to speak with Steam Technical Support.

Modding this game requires making edits to the game EXE, which Steam Support won't really help you with. This forum is essentially "dead", going weeks at a time between questions. (I check it daily just so people know SOMEONE is listening and to direct them to the Wiki. But I haven't played it since 2014 and there hasn't been any new information since then.)

-Dubious-