MO 2...what a mess I made of this

SirTrijj

MO2 is not Saving my Playthrus. The Save Folder is empty. I can c the Saves within the Save Tab within MO2 but when I go to launch thru SKSE in MO2, the Game won't launch. It'll launch using the Steam Icon or that runtime icon but the Load tab is greyed out. I have to start a new game. MO I am not too familiar with...alot has changed since I last used it. I got all confused on trying to follow YouTube how to's. Some do it one way & another does it different. Help me, plz...lol (Skyrim Special Edition)

Edited by SirTrijj

So you basically have two problems? No saves and SKSE not working?

OK, let's try to sort this out. You say there are no saves in the Save folder. Per default SSE uses ...documents \ my games \ skyrim special editon as path for the save folder. Is this where you checked and couldn't find save files?

What are these saves you find on the MO2 saves tab? The ones you recently made but can't see in the default save folder or ingame under the "Load" button? There is a setting in MO2 that makes saves profile specific. I don't use this so I can't tell if this would change the path for the save files. Check your profile settings and disable the feature if enabled.

SKSE not working can have a lot of reasons. In most cases I would say, an incorrect installation is the cause. Make sure you did it right, some files must be copied by yourself directly to the game directory, this CAN'T BE DONE BY MO2! Then there is the scripts folder for SKSE which you can install by MO2 as separate mod.

And if you have done everything correctly but still no saves and/or SKSE fail to lauch: I had the exact same combination of issues not long ago. The reason was, I turned on Windows Ransomware Protection. By doing this SkyrimSE.exe and skse_loader.exe.were no longer allowed to write to the..documents folder. SKSE needs this for a log file on launch and Skyrim for making saves. So I had to add those 2 executables to the list of programs not blocked by Windows.

Thnx greatly for responding. I've been away from Skyrim (Oldrim) & Skyrim SE for a long time. Coming back & I c a whole lot has changed. Yesterday was my 3rd attempt to sort all things out but it was no use. i uninstalled everything that was associated with SE (that's the only way I know to get a "clean" start. It takes me hours to do this. I thought, well I'll just go back to Oldrim & do without some things. That didn't work either... with no Vortex around on the Nexus & posts about avoiding it like a plague. I go step by step with the YouTube how to's but those guys "assume way too much imo. But u r correct...there r no Saves in the MO2 Save Folder. When I log out & start up again...it goes back to "Load'---greyed out...I have to hit New & start all over. It will say SKSE is not working....yet in game...it is right there with the proper SKYUI Tabs. I turned on no Anti-Ware programs. I'd rather play the SE version, so I'll try once again to install everything for SE. What I need most (& will never get) is some1 right next to me to answer questions that continue to pop up as I go along. Like when the mod authors say do this...& it doesn't do that for me. Let me c if I can ask u a few 'trouble-areas" questions here. 1) Does MO2 need to b placed in the Folder where SE is installed? { I use Steam...do I go to Local Files where Steam put it or do I go to Program Files x 86 where I put my Skyrim Install Folder? 2) Which "Tools"...SKSE, FNIS, LOOT, TESVEdit or whatever....go where? Saw somewhere..never put so & so in a Game Folder...followed by some1 else saying..this has to b in the place where the game was installed. So confusing. If u can help me out, I'd b truly grateful. TY

C:\games\steam

C:\modding\MO2

All tools install into MO 2 except scriptextender.

Loot is built into MO 2

Avoid C:\Program Files And Folder (x86) at all costs

Never run tools or anything you intend to modify in windows default installation path...never.

reason is you need full write permissions to all software's and tools.

C:\USERS is a UAC controlled folder area heavily---Test: browse the C:\ drive, click on users and see it for your self.

@purr...I don't have a C:\games\steam......I got C:\games\downloads or mods or overwrite or profiles or webcache. Just create a folder called Steam & put it in this list? I just installed Skyrim SE using Steam but haven't launched it yet.

The information is to inform you why you might experience issues with modding and game run-time.

The current thought processes as to how to edit and modify data is incorrect.

each and every instance is requiring Elevated privileges times a million.

If you ran the test, I need not say any more. this practice, using the global location is not correct.

"Where is your steam main folder located? not the website here location but the actual steam folder?

Nut's this place is hard if we post things that make no sense.

The question is where is your Original steam installed at?

Not what you edited.

This pertains to my Informational post.

Update: C;\users\ "user profile name"

It will flat out tell you why your about to have problems.

Edited by Purr4me

This PC > Windows (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Skyrim Install or r u looking for where it is in Steam Site itself? That would b...Steam Library > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition > Properties> Local Files > Browse Local Files. There r 13 Files in the Browse Local Files. Am not sure what it is u ask of me. The other Path would b This PC > Windows (C:) > Users > trijj . There r 24 Files in trijj .

This PC > Windows (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Skyrim Install or r u looking for where it is in Steam Site itself? That would b...Steam Library > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition > Properties> Local Files > Browse Local Files. There r 13 Files in the Browse Local Files. Am not sure what it is u ask of me. The other Path would b This PC > Windows (C:) > Users > trijj . There r 24 Files in trijj .

ok on both accounts. yep.

A suggestion only.

1. Download and reinstall steam any where else and re-install the game there.
  2. In Mod Organizer, reinstall to C:\modding and choose Portable, NOT global.

reinstall the mods through MO 2.

Before you do anything make sure the new game runs cleanly from the steam Play button from inside steam and save the game.

then install Mod Organizer and set it up as I am telling you.

From this point, the only complaints we might see from you is mod compatibility or load order issues..maybe.

My assertion was correct. I am only here to save you a ton of grief.

Kitty Black

Edited by Purr4me

Absolutely understand. This has been a nightmare for me. I acknowledge ur concern. Thnx I will do as u suggest.

I don't want you to feel your alone, because your not.

No two systems will be the same, no 2 people will think the same.

The only constant in reality is the software.

The other Constant is every one will do different things.

Take all of that into account and we are on a level playing field.

1. Microsoft works only 1 way and is a constant.
  2. Applications are built on THAT constant due to the above statement.
  3. But people will not be in this Constant, people have free will and have choice.
  4. Choices are in tremendous varying themes.

It's those facts that is what i look at.

Kitty Black