Starting Characters

Levantinium

I've been diving through the games files and I can't seem to find where the game comes up with the starting characters, either through enabled or disabled tutorial starts. I'm wondering if it's even possible to modify the first four (or more) agents. Would it be possible to modify the agents in the barracks as well, or are they generated after the first mission and not before like the first four agents you get in the Skyranger?

I've been diving through the games files and I can't seem to find where the game comes up with the starting characters, either through enabled or disabled tutorial starts. I'm wondering if it's even possible to modify the first four (or more) agents. Would it be possible to modify the agents in the barracks as well, or are they generated after the first mission and not before like the first four agents you get in the Skyranger?

All soldiers are generated, based off of a template set of data.

The core settings are found in DefaultGameCore.ini. Note that this data is actually now embedded in XComGame.ini. You'll need to use ModPatcher or Resource Hacker, to change these values. See the First Steps thread for more information.

Well I know the starting mission is generated based off the continent of your base. Is that drawn from a line in the gamecore.ini, because I can't find that line. I haven't tried the resource hacker, though. I've just been using the modpatcher to mess with the defaultgamecore.ini.