From L3DT to Skyrim: Heightmap Tutorial

iakamil

• 1 month later...

@iakamil

I followed your tutorial at the best I could but my result was a very distorted map. Now I tried to "debug" a little and found out that my L3DT only allows some 5 or 6 decimal places when it comes to those long numbers you advised us to use. Might this cause the problems with distortion? Do I have to use the professional version or is it just the same there?

@Noobo

What did i do wrong?

I can only guess but I think you probably mistyped something in the BAT-file (steps 30/31/32). I suggest to try the following:

Do everything up to and including step 29. Now instead of doing 30 to 32 you open the programm "CommandConsole" in the TESAnnwyn directory. Type this part of step 30 by hand:

tesannwyn -i Skyrim -w WorldspaceName -p 1 -b 16 -d 1024x1024 -h -8192 -x -16 -y -16 HeightmapName.raw

If your heightmap has a different size than 1024x1024 you have to put the respective numbers behind -d

Hit enter and see, if you get an ESP file. Make sure you typed everything correctly! If it works, put this text into the BAT file (make sure this file is in the TESAnnwyn directory and that you typed everything correctly!) as described in steps 30 to 32 and try again.

• 3 weeks later...

Please, I need help I followed your guide to the letter but once i opened CK and added my esp, and i click on the world space i created, the mountains are HUUUGE, and i did a new map quickly , and used just 5, and 6 for altitude, no higher and the mountains are still extending FAarrr ABOVE the map. When i open the world space editor, to show a aerial view, everything is red and orange, indicating the height of everything is way outa where it outa be, i cant figure it out, i did everything right.

Please, I need help I followed your guide to the letter but once i opened CK and added my esp, and i click on the world space i created, the mountains are HUUUGE...

At step 28.
Select RAW as the File Format and then click the Options box next to it.
Double click the top line,...Mode (another box pops up).
Select the 4th option down...16-bit unsigned (manual scale) Click OK
Make sure that below Mode, the manual scale is set to 0.114301. If it's not, double click it and set it correctly.
Below Manual Scale, make sure InvertY (bool) is st to false. If it's true, double click it and it will change to false. If you leave it at true, your worldspace will be upside down after TesAnnwyn generates the esp.
Click OK.
Browse to where you want to save the .raw image (TesAnnwyn folder) Name the file and click Save.
Click OK
Generate esp with TesAnnwyn and copy it to your Skyrim folder.
Open it as active in the CK (remember to select Skyrim.esm as well)
Open your worldspace in the CK.
Admire your work :smile: Edited by Tamb0

You should update your tutorial with under # 14) to choose "16-bit unsigned manual scale" and remember to double-click InvertY so it read = false.

Also, I can't get more than 5 digits under #4, so it only reads 1.82882.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks tamb0 and chiaro, that was the issue, the map value i didnt pick unsigned, i just clicked the regular 16 bit, and also the intvert was set to true, which made my map weird as hell..

SO...IF ANYONE has the same issue as i did where the map looks like the mountains are way too high and rips and tears everywhere, then its your invert options...

ANyways, thanks guys.

P.s. if anyone is looking for a land creator with CK I have decent 100 hours experience on it, 100 hrs of learning anyways so i know most functions its just recently I tried generating mass land at once.

So if anyone has any projects and a adept Creation kit artist, then let me know.

Great tutorial! Thank you. I have been able to successfully import the new world space into Skyrim.

I'm now trying to make a more detailed map; creating some mountains and valleys etc.. Are there any recommendations as to what the max altitude should be? The lowest point the tutorial was set to -200 so +200 max?

I have been searching around trying to find out what the current sizes are in skyrim like the altitude of Throat of the World without much success. The mountains in L3DT looks proportional however in Skyrim it doesn't appear to be the case.

I have a worldspace where the highest mountain is over 1500m asl. That's almost 3x higher than throat of the world (around 550m).

Remember to set your horizontal scale to 1.8288221 as well. This should keep things in proportion.

Edited by Tamb0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also, I can't get more than 5 digits under #4, so it only reads 1.82882.

I have the same problem. Anyone got an idea how to fix this?

I have been searching around trying to find out what the current sizes are in skyrim like the altitude of Throat of the World without much success. The mountains in L3DT looks proportional however in Skyrim it doesn't appear to be the case.

The Throat of the World is about 550 meters high. I think it was the creator of Hoddminir who made a scale table but I can't find it on his blog right now. If you check the Hoddminir blog, you might find some useful info there.

Edited by Teria23