What text editor do you use for editing Papyrus Scripts? (Please help, need some feedback on what features to develop next.)

nimrodxy

Text Editor Usage for Skyrim SE  

49 members have voted

1. 1. When working on Papyrus scripts for Skyrim SE mods, what text editor do you use?

• Just the Creation Kit's built-in editors
    • Sublime Text
    • VSCode
    • Notepad++
    • Atom
    • Vim
    • Emacs
    • Other (Please Mention in Comments)
  2. 2. Do you use Mod Organizer 2's user space virtual file system to capture files to a custom overwrite directory?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What Papyrus-specific text editor features are most important to you?

• Build Support (hit a key to compile)
    • Syntax Highlighting
    • Snippets
    • In-Editor Compile Errors
    • Real-Time Error Checking (linting)
    • Autoformatting
    • Code Reference Tooltips (Intellisense)
    • Autocompletion
    • Jump to Definition
    • Debugger Support

I think being able to compile without having to open the Creation Kit would be great. Often enough, I don't need to change anything but a script, and it's painful to wait for the damn kit to open, and to leave it open when testing in game. The #1 problem in my opinion (which may be because I have a low-end PC.)

The compilation process should be extremely user friendly, making it easy to setup. I don't want to have to setup a project space for a simple script or even a handful. I would just like to install your extension, click a button, and it compiles the current file.

Optionally one could setup a project so they could mass compile any file that's been changed, but it should be optional and not required.

Thanks for reading!

Compiling outside the CK is not a big deal. People do it all the time because PapyrusCompiler.exe doesn't care if the CK is running (it's just your usual command line compiler tool that just wants input files and outputs to files). So you can already do this now, but ....

The compilation process should be extremely user friendly, making it easy to setup. I don't want to have to setup a project space for a simple script or even a handful. I would just like to install your extension, click a button, and it compiles the current file.

Optionally one could setup a project so they could mass compile any file that's been changed, but it should be optional and not required.

Thanks for reading!

I'm working on this as we speak. I think I can get almost everything to autoconfigure in the simple case (just compile everything in Source\Scripts) and anything else will still be pretty easy.

The closest I've come so far to making things easier is this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29491?tab=description but that was before I started working on the vscode extension source code. So now that I'm working on the source code for the extension itself, I'm hoping that I can just make that whole template and guide totally unnecessary and obsolete. Everything will just be auto-configured for you. (I'd probably be done by now but I'm having to learn TypeScript, node.js and the funky API for vscode so it's taking longer than usual.)

Compiling outside the CK is not a big deal. People do it all the time because PapyrusCompiler.exe doesn't care if the CK is running (it's just your usual command line compiler tool that just wants input files and outputs to files). So you can already do this now, but ....

Requires some basic knowledge in working with the command line though haha, something I don't have.

Thanks for reading!

I'm working on this as we speak. I think I can get almost everything to autoconfigure in the simple case (just compile everything in Source\Scripts) and anything else will still be pretty easy.

The closest I've come so far to making things easier is this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29491?tab=description but that was before I started working on the vscode extension source code. So now that I'm working on the source code for the extension itself, I'm hoping that I can just make that whole template and guide totally unnecessary and obsolete. Everything will just be auto-configured for you. (I'd probably be done by now but I'm having to learn TypeScript, node.js and the funky API for vscode so it's taking longer than usual.)

Thank you for working on this, I've just found yet another reason to compile out of the kit. There seems to be a character limit in the dialog box for script sources, so the only way to compile a large/verbose script is to compile on the command line, or to split up the file into smaller scripts.

Also, I'm a big fan of vscode so I'm glad your working with it. I think its a great alternative to notepad++. It was your mod page that related to me Joel Day's Papyrus plugin, which with its syntax highlighting just makes scripting this lang so much easier, so I encourage anyone who's serious about Papyrus to use it. I noticed one of the options on the poll was about syntax highlighting. If more work is to be done on it, may I suggest highlighting the most common vanilla types, e.g. Actor, ObjectReference, etc.? If not, it's really not a priority. A simple interface to script the command line is so much more important for most users. Thank you again!

Edited by doticu

<snip>

Thank you for working on this, I've just found yet another reason to compile out of the kit. There seems to be a character limit in the dialog box for script sources, so the only way to compile a large/verbose script is to compile on the command line, or to split up the file into smaller scripts.

<snip>

Technically, you can compile any size script from within the Creation Kit. You cannot edit a large script with the built in editor as that is what has the character limit. There are three ways to compile a script within the Creation Kit: Using the script editor; Using the Papyrus Script Manager under the Gameplay drop down menu; Using the Compile Papyrus Scripts option under the Gameplay drop down menu.

Just throwing that out there in case you were not aware.

<snip>

<snip>

Technically, you can compile any size script from within the Creation Kit. You cannot edit a large script with the built in editor as that is what has the character limit. There are three ways to compile a script within the Creation Kit: Using the script editor; Using the Papyrus Script Manager under the Gameplay drop down menu; Using the Compile Papyrus Scripts option under the Gameplay drop down menu.

Just throwing that out there in case you were not aware.

You're right. There is also the button in the Quest Data tab "Recompile All Papyrus Scripts." Thanks for pointing these out, it should make things a bit easier. Especially the Manager!

Edited by doticu

The build features are done now, just need to wait for Joel to merge the pull request with a last minute bugfix.

What will happen is this. There's a command that will generate project files including a .PPJ file. The PPJ file will be read by Pyro (a script that fireundubh wrote). You can also copy this PPJ or manually add as many as you want and when you select Tools->Run Task... the PPJ files will get detected, giving you an option to build from the ppj.

So all you need is this PPJ file and if you don't have one there's a context menu item for "Create project files for Skyrim" that will create it for you. (You right click on the Data directory.) The menu option is also available in the Papyrus project explorer (click on the scroll icon) in that little icon menu that looks like a stack of lines.

• 2 weeks later...

To comment on my editor of choice, TextPad. Three main reasons: able to compile on key press from within the editor; can quickly produce custom editor preferences (including syntax color coding, tabulation, font size, etc.) associated by file extension (any file extension, including those I make up on the fly - for example I have .tes, .pap, and .sky, for different purposes); and, although a Windows based editor, it shares many similar traits to a Unix/Linux editor (which is my main workspace). Not many frills, just a dependable get-down-to-it-and-work editor.