Template inventories and containers

The basis of my question is this: Is it possible to have an NPC template its inventory from a container which would be accessible in game?

The specific scenario: I have a mod that adds companions that can be individually spawned, customized, and equipped. They can also be set to die, at which point they will respawn nearby after some time and come running back to you. I like the way this makes me feel like they got injured, withdrew to a settlement for healing, and then found their way back to me. The problem I have is that when they die and respawn, any items I had equipped them with are lost and they spawn with a default inventory.

What I want to be able to do is spawn a container which I can put gear in (from my player's inventory ingame, not via CK or console), and when the companion respawns they will have whatever gear I have put in this container. Preferably just a copy of the gear, not taking items directly from the container. I'm fine if they lose whatever I gave them in the field, but this container tactic should hopefully allow me to set their gear at an "armory" where they can always find the same gear to join me in the field.

The most important part of this is that I can edit the default inventory in-game from my player's inventory. I can have companions spawning with endless assault rifles, but I want to first have to find one in the commonwealth and put it in the armory box. Later, if I want them using shotguns, I want to be able to easily take that assault rifle out and put in the shotgun.

Making copies of container inventory with an inventory filter OnItemRemoved is easy enough, getting and recreating attached Omods is tricky.

For UX it may be smoother to focus on the actor: dont let them die but go into permanent bleedout, set unconscious, add to captive faction, when they unload heal, move to a workshop then travel to player package.