Windows 7 Booting Issue

...if only I was an "Enterprise".

...me and the Microsoft Update Catalog (as well as Windows Update)

...scouring Canada Computers site for memory, video card etc, especially the memory, DDR3 RAM won't be available forever

There is one more option... Switch to Linux :smile:

Edit: Really, it's more than one option... There are so many different distros... Plenty to choose from. https://distrowatch.com/ And the (relatively) recent Steam's support made Linux much more gamer-friendly than it was before.

Don't worry I've been following you and Zixi's discussion with great interest. The day will come, it's inevitable.

- Edit - And this edit comes from a cloned Win7 boot via my new Samsung SSD (well it was new a half dozen years ago ... just unused until today). Woohoo, I'm only a decade or so behind the times now! I have a few old Win98 boxes laying about, could probably mix and match parts enough to bring a machine or two in for you (if you're really missing those "good old days" ... ya right eh??).

Good thing we have the StormWolf to bring this hijack back on track!!

Edited by Striker879

MS isn't going to take down the existing updates for 7, those will remain for the foreseeable future, you just aren't going to get any new ones. I can still get updates for windows XP via windows update........ (you have to let it automatically check for updates, as I don't think the web-based interface works very well any more.)

Yes, I still have customers that are running windows XP...... Been a while since I have seen a Win 98 box...... at least, one that wasn't going to be scrapped..... Think it was early last year. :D And I thought I was resistant to change.......

Made a password reset USB with Ophcrack, but the computer can't boot from it. I have set the computer booting from USB but get an error message: no booting device found

Hi Helen!

From the sounds of it, it almost sounds as if you don't have the device set up as a bootable drive. That's something that you're going to have to manage through your computer's settings. And you will most likely have to refer to your computer's manufacturer's documentation to find out which key on the keyboard it is to enter into the that settings menu. As many different computers use a different key to access that.

Here is just one of many tutorials on how to set up a usb stick for boot. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-device-2626091

I hope that this helps :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise, thanks to the Antwerp Social Services where I worked at their Informatica Technical division and for which I still do the occasional job. They kept my log-in credentials to their InfraNet and let me keep it too. I can log-on to their servers to do an unattended install of everything they add that is accessible through a regular employee account. The reason I went from 7 to 10 was because of the Radeon software no longer supporting Win7 and I started getting problems with my GPU (then an MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB). The Enterprise edition I installed doesn't update automatically by default because the update service is switched off. I switch it on occasionally and get updates I need and then switch it off again.

• 3 months later...

Causes of this Error...

1. Incorrect boot order.
2. Partition not set as active.
3. Hard disk failure.

NOTE: Some of the solutions below require the use of the Microsoft Windows setup CD/DVD or USB.

1. Check Boot Order

The simplest fix for this error is to make sure your computer’s boot order correctly list your hard disk as the 1st option.

To check the boot order...

a. Restart your computer
b. Access your BIOS menu.
c. Go to the Boot tab.
d. Change the boot order so that your computer’s HDD is listed first.
e. Save the settings.
f. Restart your computer.

2. Partition not set as active.

This error will also appear if your primary partition is no longer set as 'active'. To set the primary partition as active, you need to use diskpart to run the necessary commands for this.

If you have the original Windows installation media, you can use that media:

a. Insert the Windows installation CD/DVD or USB and boot from that.
b. At System Recovery Options or the Troubleshoot, click Command Prompt.
c. Now type: "diskpart" (without the quotes) and press "Enter".
d. Next type: "select disk 0" (again without the quotes) and press "Enter".

NOTE: Where 0 is the disk’s number where your Windows is installed on. For a full list of disks that are available on your computer, type "list disk" (without the quotes).

e. Now you want to type: "list partition" (yes, without the quotes) and hit "Enter".
f. Here you will type in: "select partition 1" (you guessed it, without the quotes) and hit "Enter".

NOTE: Where 1 is your primary partition.

g. Finaly type: "active" (no quotes) and hit "Enter".

This should resolve the problem. If not, please refer to this post:
https://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/windows-wont-boot.html

NOTE: If you don’t have the original installation media, you will need "Easy Recover Essentials" and run the fixes from the Command Prompt.