Register Unique Modding IDs

MrEmjeR

I am very sorry about this, but with modding tools version 2 we had to change the way the autoincrements work. Instead of global ID offset, they now use local offset against the highest ID in original game files(=mod author chooses offset, all autoincrements are offset by that value). There were two reasons to do this:

* the original offset recommendation was too low, some tables start at 150k

* some tables are backed by arrays in game. using excessively high IDs will allocate a lot of memory that would never be used

If you have already started filling your databases, i do apologise, but you will probably need to convert to these new IDs. There will be no further changes to this system in the future.

But if i understand it, nothing really has to change in terms of the system I set up here. It's still smart to have people offset their ID's differently from each other. and a thousand still seems reasonable distance for most mods. And also the numbers we are registering now are not necessarily that high right?

What is it that people need to do if they did go through the whole installation process but didn't start filling in the database?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claim

ID: 115000

Name: Anthropoid

Mods: "Perks Be Praised!" (inspired by Perkaholic, basically a Perks/Skills/Stats system that isn't so luke warm, but retains the 'historical realism' intent of the game)

It is my understanding that this will involve the database, if not then disregard. I'll probably figure that out forthwith, come back and edit this post.

I am very sorry about this, but with modding tools version 2 we had to change the way the autoincrements work. Instead of global ID offset, they now use local offset against the highest ID in original game files(=mod author chooses offset, all autoincrements are offset by that value). There were two reasons to do this:

* the original offset recommendation was too low, some tables start at 150k

* some tables are backed by arrays in game. using excessively high IDs will allocate a lot of memory that would never be used

If you have already started filling your databases, i do apologise, but you will probably need to convert to these new IDs. There will be no further changes to this system in the future.

But if i understand it, nothing really has to change in terms of the system I set up here. It's still smart to have people offset their ID's differently from each other. and a thousand still seems reasonable distance for most mods. And also the numbers we are registering now are not necessarily that high right?

What is it that people need to do if they did go through the whole installation process but didn't start filling in the database?

You can start at zero instead of 100000. It's not that big of a deal, we have tested it with 400000 offset and the game worked (although at that point it does start to increase RAM consumption).

If you have set up database, it would be best to drop it and run the setup command again, then run sequences with the new offset.