The next Step

dreadylein

Just a heads up, I successfully changed the way the game chooses a soldier's sex during character generation. I linked to my modified UPKs in this post. So it CAN be done. Strange that your change to the starting year didn't work. I didn't do anything different than you did. Maybe there's another spot where the starting year is chosen which overrides the part in that file? Edited by kanet32

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up, I successfully changed the way the game chooses a soldier's sex during character generation. I linked to my modified UPKs in this post. So it CAN be done. Strange that your change to the starting year didn't work. I didn't do anything different than you did. Maybe there's another spot where the starting year is chosen which overrides the part in that file?

Yeah, that constant must not do what we think it does, or it's just not really used.

Nice modification there, I'll check it out!

kanet32 was quicker, saw the same just some secondes ago :o

Well, seems like you found one of a hand full const vars which arent used :D

edit:

@kanet32

be carefull with the upks .. its a copyright violation and against the forum terms :/

Edited by dreadylein

Well, seems like you found one of a hand full const vars which arent used

Lucky me :D

I could write a program that would diff a modified upk against the original, and create a patch file for the upk.

I could make it part of XSHAPE.

But... this is getting really ridiculous, tbh.

Edited by Daemonjax

Oh, really? Hmmm. I'm not particularly worried about copyright--2K'd have to be pretty churlish to go after that--but I'd rather not get banned from the forum. I still need to hang around so I can grab the save game editor when some brave soul finally makes it. Guess I'll have to check the forum terms, see if there's a way around that.

Guess that makes the need for an autopatcher for the UPKs even more important.

EDIT: Yeah, DaemonJax had the same thought. I wonder if there's any practical way to get in contact with Firaxis and have them clarify the rules for redistributing content. I DO recall them saying something about supporting modding. If that wasn't a brazen lie, surely they'd say it's fine.

Edited by kanet32

Agree :/ , there are functions were you realy dont want that people play around with, but an editor would make editing them easy as hell, cant see them doing that,

A clearence from 2k would be awesome, but i heavly doub they would give it

Edit: i know the copyright stuff is anyoing and pointing it out is anoying, hate it myself, but we have to think about it

Edited by dreadylein

Agree :/ , there are functions were you realy dont want that people play around with, but an editor would make editing them easy as hell, cant see them doing that,

A clearence from 2k would be awesome, but i heavly doub they would give it

Doesn't mean we shouldn't just go ahead and do it anyways ;)

I think as long as we don't redistribute any of their actual assets, we're fine. I mean, wtf, come on... we're paying customers.

If we don't get modding tools, we need to write our own. That would mean a bytecode editor that looks significantly better than a hexeditor... otherwise, it's all rather 'meh'.

I heard the Gears of War source code got leaked, and people have complete table data for the bytecode from that.... anyone know where I could get my hands on that data?

Edited by Daemonjax