I'm unable to start the game correctly.

SnowFox35

Yesterday, I decided to clean my 101 Skyrim mods and restart from a clean slate. I've downloaded 28 mods from today and I went to give them a go. Upon opening Skyrim every time, each attempt is met with an immediate main menu screen, but without the dragon logo or a continue button. My cursor also won't appear, and I can't navigate the menu with the arrow keys.

The game is stuck.

The only option I have afterwards is to ALT + TAB and use task manager to kill the game. I'm at my wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My current plugin list:

GameMode=Skyrim

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
SkyMoMod.esm=1
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp=1
ContinueGameNoCrash.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp=1
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp=1
RealArchery.esp=1
ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +25%.esp=1
ABT - Increased Bolts Damage (Vanilla) +50%.esp=1
ABT - Increased Progressive Damage (with Nord Hero Arrow) +50%.esp=1
ABT - Recover +35% Arrows and Bolts.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=1
dD-DG-DB-MonsterMod EBT Patch v4.esp=1
dD-Larger Splatter Size.esp=1
Better Vampires.esp=1
FasterArrows.esp=1
FasterArrows100.esp=1
FasterArrows50.esp=1
FasterArrows75.esp=1
MikanEyes All in one.esp=1
Eyes of Aber.esp=1
MoreArrows.esp=1
Proper Aiming.esp=1
UIExtensions.esp=1
TKDodge.esp=1
KS Hairdos - HDT.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1

And this is what the game looks like upon being booted up:

Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Screenshot-2019-1

I would hope that is not your load order. Have you used LOOT to sort your load order?

Instead of using the three individual patches for the DLC's you should use USLEEP. You should only have one of the Faster Arrows speed esp's pick the one you want, 100, 75, or 50, and delete the other two. Did you make the changes to Skyrim.ini that the author of Faster Arrows recommended on his mod page?

When you said you cleaned your mods what exactly did you mean? If you are going to clean mods you should only clean Update.esm, and the three DLC's, even then I would only clean the UDR's. It is not necessary to clean the ITM's unless you are hurting for space. Cleaning the Update and DLC,s of UDR's is a precaution not a necessity, it is rare that those records will cause a problem, however the more mods you have installed the more it would be a wise decision to do so.

Run LOOT and make the other recommended changes and see if that helps.

I would hope that is not your load order. Have you used LOOT to sort your load order?

Â

Instead of using the three individual patches for the DLC's you should use USLEEP. You should only have one of the Faster Arrows speed esp's pick the one you want, 100, 75, or 50, and delete the other two. Did you make the changes to Skyrim.ini that the author of Faster Arrows recommended on his mod page?

Â

When you said you cleaned your mods what exactly did you mean? If you are going to clean mods you should only clean Update.esm, and the three DLC's, even then I would only clean the UDR's. It is not necessary to clean the ITM's unless you are hurting for space. Cleaning the Update and DLC,s of UDR's is a precaution not a necessity, it is rare that those records will cause a problem, however the more mods you have installed the more it would be a wise decision to do so.

Â

Run LOOT and make the other recommended changes and see if that helps.

What I posted is my load order after being sorted by LOOT. I've ran it in the past.

I'll fix the Faster Arrows and DLC patches. Thanks!

What I meant by "cleaning my mods" is that I deleted every mod from my folder except for the Monster Mod, Immersive Creatures, patches, SKSE, and SkyUI. Thanks for the help, I'll get back to you next time I'm on PC.

Update:

I kept Faster Arrows 75 and deleted the 50 and 100 editions, and I had already made the suggested changes to the files in order to accommodate. Additionally, I followed the advice to download USLEEP, and again, LOOT has sorted my load order once more. I did so just to be sure. ModOrganizer can directly run LOOT through its sort function, which is nice.

Now for the bad news. I've tried booting the game through NMM, MO, and Vortex all separately and all have the same result, but worse. Instead of showing my blank title screen like last time, it instead CTDs before even displaying the screen. The only changes I have made to my Skyrim are the ones that have been listed above, and that were suggested by @wfandrews. I have no idea how it got worse just by installing another patch and fixing a mod duplicate.

Is there any solution for this? Even a path to follow that would help? Thanks for listening. I hope I can get this sorted out.

Try launching the game thru skse_loader.exe and see if that helps. I am just suggesting that to make sure that skse is loaded. I have never launched my games through any Mod Manager or any other app so I do not know if they launch with skse.

This triggers the blank menu screen again (where I cannot click anything). What does this suggest?

Before you do I would google something like "make Skyrim vanilla". Too often people just uninstall their game and think that gets rid of all the Skyrim files. Unfortunately this leaves literally hundreds of files behind which can affect a new game.

If you google something like I suggested you should get some links to guides on how to get a vanilla game; I prefer avrie's but you can choose the one you prefer.

Alternatively you can check out these two pinned threads on the Steam Skyrim forum; "Player and Modding Resources" by Ilja, and "Helpful Links and References" by smr1957. I am pretty sure one of them has a link to a guide to making a vanilla Skyrim.

Before you do I would google something like "make Skyrim vanilla". Too often people just uninstall their game and think that gets rid of all the Skyrim files. Unfortunately this leaves literally hundreds of files behind which can affect a new game.

If you google something like I suggested you should get some links to guides on how to get a vanilla game; I prefer avrie's but you can choose the one you prefer.

Alternatively you can check out these two pinned threads on the Steam Skyrim forum; "Player and Modding Resources" by Ilja, and "Helpful Links and References" by smr1957. I am pretty sure one of them has a link to a guide to making a vanilla Skyrim.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to rid of the leftover files.

Good news. Skyrim's been completely reinstalled and it's now functioning correctly with mods. Whatever happened to my last Skyrim, I have no idea, but it doesn't really matter since it's behind me now.

And wfandrews, thank you so much for the help. Though I was unable to fix my other Skyrim, I have everything working now, and I appreciate your dedication to assisting me.