Dark Brotherhood broken questline

kylecouch25

Ok so...i finished the Innocence Lost quest, and have been still playing for several in game days, have slept many times and have been overall rather care free. I never got the "We Know" letter from the messenger, and With Friends Like These... never triggers. So the entire Dark Brotherhood questline is broken because I Astrid never takes me in my sleep ( pun intended :P ). But srsly...any advice here?

Dunno if this'll work, but that bug's mentioned in wiki:

Sometimes it can take several days to receive the Courier's letter even with sleeping.

If the courier still does not appear, try fast traveling to a different hold and waiting.

GL

Dunno if this'll work, but that bug's mentioned in wiki:

Sometimes it can take several days to receive the Courier's letter even with sleeping.

If the courier still does not appear, try fast traveling to a different hold and waiting.

GL

I've been having the same problem lately, and I found that tidbit of advice and tried it. Didn't work and still waiting after three game weeks. Maybe Astrid just didn't get the memo. However, I did find a way to continue the quest. Unfortunately, it will require a little cheating. In the absence of the courier delivering the message, you can either go to the Abandoned Shack, then press the ~ key, click the door, and then type in "Unlock". The door will be unlocked and you will be able to go inside. OR, you could get there from anywhere by typing in "coc AbandonedShackInterior" and just materialize inside the shack. Either way, when you enter, you'll find Astrid and her three prisoners there. From there you can proceed, although you will have missed out on Astrid's speech before making your decision.

Edited by CaptainRC

Sometimes the note is just randomly in your inventory. Any time I played the quest it worked to be honest. As people have indicated though you dont always get contacted in your sleep quickly. GL

(note to self fix spelling for English speakers :) thank god for google translator :) )

Edited by sadboy

• 1 month later...

Hope TS wont mind..

yup, i confirmed that this also happening with me. never got that "we know" mysterious note from courier even tho i tried everything like load previous save, console commnad etc. so i decided to take a shortcut by visiting the abandoned shack and do some B&E with magic word in console to let me go inside..luckily astrid and three victims was already inside. talking to astrid only give me "sister", but when i kill one of the victim, suddenly the quest "With Friends Like These" is completed, even tho i dont have that quest yet.

so what exactly i want to ask, does anyone here try the same thing ? and will there is a side effect by doing this, lets say it can lead to another "buggy" quest ?

thanks

Edited by ebony_ivory

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this helps all you Brotherhood fans that can not get the courier to give you the mysterious note after completing Innocent Lost... no matter what you try. This was the case for me and, after two hours of vanity, I found a solution.

1. Using the console (tilde key in game), start the quest "With Friends Like These..." by typing (with spaces):

setstage DB02 10

2. Then go to the Abandoned Shack where Astrid is (located East of Solitude). The shack will be a landmark (shaped like a house with a skewed roof), use it to guide you there.

3. The door to the shack will be locked. Again, using the console, give yourself the key by typing (with spaces):

player.additem 0002E3F8 1

4. Enter the shack and kill one of the three kneeling people (does not matter which one). Talk to Astrid (perched on a shelf in the corner) and the quest will hopefully continue as normal. If so, she will give you the pass phrase and location to get into the Dark brotherhood Sanctuary.

Long live the assassin!