Vortex not enabling mods despite being displayed as "Enabled"

HermaeusM0R4
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

I had just downloaded 2 mods and installed on Vortex for Skyrim SE but when I went in game it seemed as if they hadn't loaded, so when I left game I double checked they were enabled in Mods list and Plugins list on Vortex. I went to look at the mods in Xedit and despite being .esl they were at the bottom so I left real quick went to NMM and found they were not enabled.

I had just downloaded 2 mods and installed on Vortex for Skyrim SE but when I went in game it seemed as if they hadn't loaded, so when I left game I double checked they were enabled in Mods list and Plugins list on Vortex. I went to look at the mods in Xedit and despite being .esl they were at the bottom so I left real quick went to NMM and found they were not enabled.

You shouldn't be installing mods with Vortex, then opening NMM

They both use different plugins.txt

it's possible that when you opened NMM, it disabled the mod

Don't make each mod manager fight each other.

@Bigbizkit Yes I always deploy mods right after enabling them. I did not check my Data folder to see if they were there. After enabling with NMM by clicking the check box in the Plugins list the mods finally loaded in-game.

@HadToRegister I don't use NMM to install mods only to check plugins list when an issue like this come up. Opening NMM could not have disabled the mods, if the mods weren't enabled in the first place.

Edited by HermaeusM0R4

@HadToRegister I don't use NMM to install mods only to check plugins list when an issue like this come up. Opening NMM could not have disabled the mods, if the mods weren't enabled in the first place.

So if you know the mod was never enabled, what did opening up NMM help you to determine?

We've had people come in here before where they kept saying that their mods getting getting disabled, and after a while, revealed that they were using BOTH NMM and Vortex, so that whenever they opened NMM, it would disable the plugins in Vortex.

In my case, no mods get disabled when I open NMM but that I can enable them with NMM (Plugins Tab). I think the main problem here is that Vortex isn't enabling mods with the .esl header cause it installs regular .esp mods just fine. I don't see how using both is bad because for most mods, I like LOOT but for a few mods (including merge mods) LOOT is terrible and therefore needs manual sorting.

In my case, no mods get disabled when I open NMM but that I can enable them with NMM (Plugins Tab). I think the main problem here is that Vortex isn't enabling mods with the .esl header cause it installs regular .esp mods just fine. I don't see how using both is bad because for most mods, I like LOOT but for a few mods (including merge mods) LOOT is terrible and therefore needs manual sorting.

No, Loot is fine, it's built into Vortex, you need need to do very little manual sorting, if at all in Vortex.

Also, don't bother trying to sort ESLs, ESLs aren't meant to sort.

If you want to lighten your load order, convert your ESPs with Vortex by picking the COULD BE LIGHT filter in the plugins tab, and then double clicking on a plugin to open the right panel and click "MAKE LIGHT"

That will convert it to an ESPfe

ESPfe, won't take up a load order spot just like an ESL, PLUS, you can SORT an ESPfe.

DO NOT ENABLE THE PLUGINS WITH NMM, you not only mess up Vortex, but you mess up how XEDIT loads your load order.

DO NOT DO THAT, you're making TWO Plugins.txt

My load order has a combination of ESP, ESP, ESL and ESPfe

The problems you are currently having, are clearly not caused by Vortex, but by you insisting on using NMM and Vortex.

You said yourself you're not just "checking to see if plugins are enabled", you're actually ENABLING the PLugins, which is creating two different Plugins.txt

I figured out, after installing ESL mod I must enter game, save, quit, open Vortex, and enable the ESL again and it will load when entering game again

This is a rather bizarre way to enable ESL's. You're clearly doing something wrong in your Vortex game setup.

When I install an ESL mod, it is automatically enabled, deployed, and ready to go. Upon launching the game through Vortex, the ESL mod loads and is immediately active. It's as easy as that. No special Vortex ESL gymnastics are required.