• This topic is locked This topic is locked
643 replies to this topic

brokenergy

brokenergy

Damn it Luke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

And since DA3 uses a whole new game engine, there'll have to be a whole new Toolset as well. :turned:

I did saw some tweets about a toolset, it's not a big issue but they are looking into it

Edit: Here is the tweet in question, by Mark Darrah/ DA Producer

Hey, if anyone would like to start collecting tweets and posting them on another thread, they can totally do so.

Edited by brokenergy, 27 October 2012 - 01:47 AM.

naomis8329

naomis8329

Old timer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
Very true, so we can live in hope that, after not producing a tool kit for DA2 and the requests that sparked, hopefully they will take TES's lead and produce one. They have been consulting with the game developers of TES due to its phenomenal success in the hope that they can pick up some ideas. A tool kit would go a long way to helping the fans as it did for DAO.

In any event it is all speculation and we will have to wait to see what they will and wont do. Hopefully we should have more in the new year if not at the beginning of November after the London Expo...

brokenergy

brokenergy

Damn it Luke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Very true, so we can live in hope that, after not producing a tool kit for DA2 and the requests that sparked, hopefully they will take TES's lead and produce one. They have been consulting with the game developers of TES due to its phenomenal success in the hope that they can pick up some ideas. A tool kit would go a long way to helping the fans as it did for DAO.

In any event it is all speculation and we will have to wait to see what they will and wont do. Hopefully we should have more in the new year if not at the beginning of November after the London Expo...

DICE naomis, they are consulting with DICE with their engine. They are looking into TES and what people like (and I can say not much in my opinion).

naomis8329

naomis8329

Old timer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
No idea who DICE is/are. Sorry useless with acronyms. :D

brokenergy

brokenergy

Damn it Luke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
This is DICE

http://en.wikipedia....al_Illusions_CE

And this is what Frostbite 2 does

Edited by brokenergy, 27 October 2012 - 09:42 AM.

naomis8329

naomis8329

Old timer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
My sons play Battlefield and love the game. Thanks for that :D

musicalfrog7

musicalfrog7

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm skeptical. I don't expect to buy it unless I hear good things and even then I'll still go in being skeptical, considering it more of a sequel to DA2 than DA: O but within the same universe.

I'm not a fan of the mage/templar (chantry) focus.
I'm not a fan of the dialogue wheel. (I liked it for ME but don't like it for DA)
I'm not a fan of how they Shephardize the main character.
I'm not a fan of the human focus and would much rather be a dwarf.

naomis8329

naomis8329

Old timer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
What I think we need to remember is there are two focuses of the DA series storyline.

1. The blight: basically an end of the world saga incorporating the corruption of old gods by blighted creatures created by mankind, if chantry doctrine is to be believed.
2. The ongoing struggle between the Chantry/Templars and mages, again this is based upon the doctrine preached by the Chantry. As with all religions, the written word is open to interpretation and the Chantry has decided what should be believed. I think (after reading Asunder) that we will find that the word of Andraste has been taken too literally and that maybe, just maybe there is a twist in all this were She is concerned :)

Either way to play DA3 as a different origin other than human would be great, but would it be practical or pragmatic considering that this is now focusing upon the strife between the mages and chantry? If it was just about the blight then sure, dwarf or elf origin would still be applicable, but considering that dwarves are not capable of magic and therefore aren't interested in the ongoing conflict, and that elves, although magical in nature, aren't considered "strong" or "equal" enough to accomplish the task of leading the conflict due to how elves are perceived, we are left with humans being the main leaders of choice.

This may change, especially if the character is, say, the child of the Warden and Morrigan and could therefore be of elven or dwarven decent.

As this hasn't been confirmed or denied, then we'll just have to wait and see.

brokenergy

brokenergy

Damn it Luke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

What I think we need to remember is there are two focuses of the DA series storyline.

1. The blight: basically an end of the world saga incorporating the corruption of old gods by blighted creatures created by mankind, if chantry doctrine is to be believed.
2. The ongoing struggle between the Chantry/Templars and mages, again this is based upon the doctrine preached by the Chantry. As with all religions, the written word is open to interpretation and the Chantry has decided what should be believed. I think (after reading Asunder) that we will find that the word of Andraste has been taken too literally and that maybe, just maybe there is a twist in all this were She is concerned :)

Incorrect, Dragon Age is about Thedas, not Grey Wardens killing darkspawn or Chantry's problems. Nothing is off limits.

I'm skeptical. I don't expect to buy it unless I hear good things and even then I'll still go in being skeptical, considering it more of a sequel to DA2 than DA: O but within the same universe.

I'm not a fan of the mage/templar (chantry) focus.
I'm not a fan of the dialogue wheel. (I liked it for ME but don't like it for DA)
I'm not a fan of how they Shephardize the main character.
I'm not a fan of the human focus and would much rather be a dwarf.

*For the sake of this post, I'm not defending BioWare's choice of VP (which was chosen when they first did ME and were moving in that direction before EA but that's a whole other kettle of fish), just pointing out some things*

Do you want to know something? I like to play an elven qunari because I like the pointy ears and I find the qunari quite interesting. I was bummed that I would not play as an elf in DA3 but I learned to deal with it. The Creative Designer, Mike Laidlaw was bummed too and in a perfect world he would have all options available for everyone. But it's mainly story reasons that human is chosen and I learned to deal with it. I like the wheel too only because I hate being mute while everyone spoke (similarly I hate being voiced while everyone looked like puppets), it's jarring for me. It's also jarring knowing everything in advance, I louthe metagaming, it's a horrible thing and should never be used as a role playing feature by gamers. But I digress.

Imagine this, write down a sentence and say the same sentence out loud to someone. How do you feel repeating the same thing over again?

Similarly, watch this scene from The Witcher

How do you feel when the PC repeats the same sentence over again?

Do you want to know how I felt? It was weird and I just skipped the scenes because I felt nothing could be gained by repeating something that I already knew. Granted I understand that what you really want is character consistency while playing the game. One way is to add icons, which gives the idea of what your character wants to say. This is similar to Origins but you didn't noticed it because there was no icons. The second is to go Deus Ex/AP route and give direct quotes like Diplomatic or Direct or Charming etc. One thing is clear is that the writing team will try to make things clearer for you before you make your choice and know that the wheel can put more dialouge branches without a list (6 for questions/ 6 for dialouge progression).

I understand that you feel a bit underwelmed and disappointed about DA3's direction but please sit around and discuss. There is a year of info and the crew will give as much info without ruining the game. Hopefully you can make your choice then :happy:

naomis8329

naomis8329

Old timer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
I hate to disagree with you Broke but if you read the books and look at the storylines, then there are definitely two main things as I outlined above. We then can break down those into others, ie the war between the Imperium and the the Qunari with regard to Seheron, the strife within Antiva (which, depending on the outcomes of DAO that we chose could include Zevran decimating the Crows and becoming the Grand Master lol). There are many smaller plots but the big issues are as I said. It is all dependant upon how you interpreted the games and books, but in my opinion, they are the main stays of the stories.

The fact that the Chantry covers the majority of Thedas is not an issue, the strife between mages and chantry politics is. You can look at the series holistically or not. Either way the storylines can be broken down into a number of main groups and then a number of smaller sub-plots, that may or may not be expanded upon.

Remember the games are subjective and can be seen in a number of ways depending upon mind set, age and belief.

It is all relative at the end of the day and we can only wait and see what the developers decide to do and from what angles they wish to pursue the storylines.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.136 seconds