Making a Soul gem and magical artefact mod

Convert a filled black soul gem (grand size only) into magicka:

• You will need to modify the actor value "magicka" by however many points. See ModActorValue
  • You them remove the filled soul gem and add an empty soul gem. See RemoveItem and AddItem

The question you need to ask yourself:

• How will the player trigger this process?
    • Will there be a station to interact with?
      • Is it a simple button / lever?
      • Is it a customized static mesh with an activator wrapped around it?
      • Is it a re-use of the enchanter graphic within a different furniture activator?
    • Will it be triggered by a spell / shout?
      • How does the player obtain it?
      • What is the cost in using it?
    • Will it require a hotkey?
    • Does it require a trip to the Mage's guild where an NPC will do it for a fee?
    • Does it work only with a custom black soul gem?
      • Will the player equip it to trigger?
      • Will the player drop, grab and hold to trigger?

Probably a few more questions you can come across as you try to answer the first one.

So basically I've been messing about in kit with this. I want it to be a spell, obtainable in a certain location. It drains all your magicka to cast and has a long time so it can't be used during combat for regenerating magicka.

The question that I have is. Can I add the value with magic effects in the creation kit, or do I edit a perk to do it? Or do I need to create a new script for the perk in the creation kit.

The soul trap process is not hard coded. It is handled by a scripted magic effect. Bethesda went the easy route and let any soul enter any gem of the same size or larger. Mods have changed it so that souls can only enter the same size gems. Using one of these mods should make working with soul gems much easier as the combat filled gems become true filled gems. However, I do not know if any of those mods have been ported to SSE.

Ishara, do you happen to know which magic effect? And most of all applied to which objects?

I searched in scripts and CK everywhere for things related to "soul" and "trap". All I could find was trapSoulGemController.psc. But in the end it doesn't do much more than add one piece of the soulggems baseobject (i.e. unfilled) to the players inventory.

But trapSoulGemController has the ObjectReference to the actual soulgem, so I assume that it might be persistent (can that be for dozens, if not hundreds of filled soulgems?). But then how could they be found? I didn't see any formlist that might keep them somewhere? A script instance for every filled soulgem?

The soul trap process is not hard coded. It is handled by a scripted magic effect. Bethesda went the easy route and let any soul enter any gem of the same size or larger. Mods have changed it so that souls can only enter the same size gems. Using one of these mods should make working with soul gems much easier as the combat filled gems become true filled gems. However, I do not know if any of those mods have been ported to SSE.

Ishara, do you happen to know which magic effect? And most of all applied to which objects?

I searched in scripts and CK everywhere for things related to "soul" and "trap". All I could find was trapSoulGemController.psc. But in the end it doesn't do much more than add one piece of the soulggems baseobject (i.e. unfilled) to the players inventory.

But trapSoulGemController has the ObjectReference to the actual soulgem, so I assume that it might be persistent (can that be for dozens, if not hundreds of filled soulgems?). But then how could they be found? I didn't see any formlist that might keep them somewhere? A script instance for every filled soulgem?

MagicSoulTrapFXScript.psc

Here is one of the mods that modified that script in order to make souls of certain sizes only go into the gems of matching size. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5312?

Newer methods of doing the same have been developed, some of which make use of an SKSE DLL plugin rather than editing the above script. The description page of the linked mod has several of the newer ones listed as they are to be considered "better".

So basically I've been messing about in kit with this. I want it to be a spell, obtainable in a certain location. It drains all your magicka to cast and has a long time so it can't be used during combat for regenerating magicka.

The question that I have is. Can I add the value with magic effects in the creation kit, or do I edit a perk to do it? Or do I need to create a new script for the perk in the creation kit.

I honestly do not know. You'll have to play around and test to see what does work and does not. Unless someone else can come along and give you further insight. Sorry.