Serana. Stop hitting our allies with those darned spells!

cumbrianlad

Hi.

I wonder if people think Serana's highest tier destruction spells should be replaced?

I'm referring to her Ice Storm and Chain Lightning spells.

This is the reason why I'd like her to be given Icy Spear and Thunderbolt, rather than her area effect spells...

During the assault on Volkihar, Serana hits Isran with her Ice Storm spell. All of the Dawnguard then turn around and attack her until she's on her knees. They start to head back up

towards the gate until Serana gets back up, then they all turn around and charge back to attack her again. This went on for ages. Funny, really but it did prevent the quest from being completed.

I re-loaded and dropped the difficulty to apprentice, so that I could kill all the enemies before the rest of them had to do anything. I got as far as the main hall inside and Serana kills Beleval by accident...

... off we go again. I finally managed it by luck more than anything, with the difficulty set to novice.

Ice storm is especially problematical because it moves so slowly. Serana was not aiming at Beleval, but she ran into it when her health was low... boom! Dead. Chain Lightning is a problem when it jumps from one target to another, although why it should jump from an enemy to a friend I don't know. I'm guessing it simply jumps from the dead (initial) target to the next nearest NPC, friendly or not.

I took her with the mages to Saarthal afterwards and she started the same commotion with Tolfdir and the mage guild during a frost troll attack.

As the player, you know not to use area effect spells when there are friendly NPCs about, but NPC AI is not smart enough to do this. They just use the best spell they can cast.

What's your opinion? Maybe this is something for the unofficial patch team to look at.

I think AFT has a setting that fixes friendly fire. With AFT you can also give her any spells you want that's in your inventory.

The thing that really bugs most about Serana, ( beside her constant whining ) is her resurrecting every dead thing she comes across. To fix that there's an oldrim mod

called, Sneaky Serana that you'd just need to change to form 44 for SE. Another Serana mod I use is; Serana SHUT UP, which takes a few lines of her most maddening dialog away.