Vortex feedback

JoyridePinks

Please don't let vortex deploy when there are active conflicts, let me decide the conflict overwrite then deploy instead of do a deploy try to launch game overwrite deploy

Other than that a drag and drop load order for plugins would be very helpful

Other than these problems vortex works great; starting with a fresh sse anyway

Please don't let vortex deploy when there are active conflicts, let me decide the conflict overwrite then deploy instead of do a deploy try to launch game overwrite deploy

Other than that a drag and drop load order for plugins would be very helpful

Other than these problems vortex works great; starting with a fresh sse anyway

SETTINGS------>INTERFACE--------->Turn off DEPLOY MODS WHEN ENABLED

There isn't going to be manual sorting, it isn't needed.

Also, conflicts can be solved AFTER deploy anyway.

Just click on the icon in the DEPENDENCIES column with a lightning bolt next to it, and pick LOAD BEFORE or LOAD AFTER, Vortex will then restore or overwrite the files automatically.

Just click on the icon in the DEPENDENCIES column with a lightning bolt next to it, and pick LOAD BEFORE or LOAD AFTER, Vortex will then restore or overwrite the files automatically.

I had already disabled that after noticing it was there still doesn't tell me of conflicts until I try to launch the game after a manual deploy should just tell me after I install the mod like the old nmm, vortex has had problems sorting mods that aren't on nexus

I had already disabled that after noticing it was there still doesn't tell me of conflicts until I try to launch the game after a manual deploy should just tell me after I install the mod like the old nmm, vortex has had problems sorting mods that aren't on nexus

File conflicts do not show up immediately after installing because, prior to deployment, the mod resides in the Mod Staging Folder and not in the game data folder. Once the mod is deployed, an appropriate hardlink is established in the game data folder and the file conflict then becomes apparent. Hardlinks give Vortex a versatility not present in NMM, especially in regard to profiles.

If there's a problem sorting mods not found on Nexus Mods, that would be a problem for any mod manager when sorting with LOOT. As such, It would not only be a problem for Vortex but also for NMM, MO1, MO2, FOMM, Wrye Bash, etc. Vortex provides manual sorting options for these cases, as do all the other mod managers.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

I am sorry. But what does "vortex has had problems sorting mods that aren't on nexus" even mean. I have more than one mod from outside Nexus (ENBdev, Moddb, TES Alliance, etc.) They all sort just fine.

File conflicts do not show up immediately after installing because, prior to deployment, the mod resides in the Mod Staging Folder and not in the game data folder. Once the mod is deployed, an appropriate hardlink is established in the game data folder and the file conflict then becomes apparent. Hardlinks give Vortex a versatility not present in NMM, especially in regard to profiles.

If there's a problem sorting mods not found on Nexus Mods, that would be a problem for any mod manager when sorting with LOOT. As such, It would not only be a problem for Vortex but also for NMM, MO1, MO2, FOMM, Wrye Bash, etc. Vortex provides manual sorting options for these cases, as do all the other mod managers.

I am sorry. But what does "vortex has had problems sorting mods that aren't on nexus" even mean. I have more than one mod from outside Nexus (ENBdev, Moddb, TES Alliance, etc.) They all sort just fine.

Mods from disparate sources work - and sort - fine.

Only case I am not really sure of are CC mods.

They are banned on my system, so I have no experience with them.

LOOT does indeed sort most mods even most off nexus, but its not perfect and also not aware of every mod which is why I asked for simple drag and drop sorting for these cases as that would be a minor time save, and it doesn't have to be made in such a way that forces it to not see incompatibilities until after deployment forcing an additional deployment

I'm only nit picking, and as I said in my first post, Vortex works great. I'm just voicing feedback for changes I personally would like

Mods from disparate sources work - and sort - fine.

Only case I am not really sure of are CC mods.

They are banned on my system, so I have no experience with them.

LOOT does indeed sort most mods even most off nexus, but its not perfect and also not aware of every mod which is why I asked for simple drag and drop sorting for these cases as that would be a minor time save, and it doesn't have to be made in such a way that forces it to not see incompatibilities until after deployment forcing an additional deployment

I'm only nit picking, and as I said in my first post, Vortex works great. I'm just voicing feedback for changes I personally would like

OK, but what you aren't understanding is...

You're thinking that with Vortex, you have to decide which files overwrite each other BEFORE they're installed, like you have to do with NMM.

With Vortex, it doesn't work that way.

You can decide which files overwrite each other AFTER they're installed.

You're comparing NMM's OVERWRITE Feature, that asks you BEFORE anything is installed "Do you want to overwrite these Files?"

When you tell NMM to overwrite those files, those files are overwritten PERMANENTLY.

Not so with Vortex.

When Vortex installs those SAME files, it will install them, and then tell you there's a problem with those two mods, and then you make the choice of which files should overwrite the other files (JUST LIKE YOU DO WITH NMM), but with the difference, that you can change your mind, and Vortex will change which files have been overwritten automatically.

With NMM, if you choose to OVERWRITE FILES, you have to uninstall all the mods that had their files overwritten, and reinstall them in the right order.

With Vortex, you don't have to do that.

So you don't need to worry about Vortex telling you about conflicts AFTER mods are installed, You're misunderstanding how Conflicts are handled in NMM versus Vortex.

File conflicts do not show up immediately after installing because, prior to deployment, the mod resides in the Mod Staging Folder and not in the game data folder. Once the mod is deployed, an appropriate hardlink is established in the game data folder and the file conflict then becomes apparent.

Conflicts showing-up has nothing to do with hard-link being present or not, but has more to do with Vortex can take a few seconds before showing this information, in case you've got very many mods or Vortex is busy installing multiple large mods or something.

Since Deploying is a costly operation, especially if you've got many mods and/or many loose files, it's definitely more effective to disable auto-deploy, for so handling any conflicts after install + enable mod and only deploy after you've handled all the file-conflicts.

File conflicts do not show up immediately after installing because, prior to deployment, the mod resides in the Mod Staging Folder and not in the game data folder. Once the mod is deployed, an appropriate hardlink is established in the game data folder and the file conflict then becomes apparent.

Conflicts showing-up has nothing to do with hard-link being present or not, but has more to do with Vortex can take a few seconds before showing this information, in case you've got very many mods or Vortex is busy installing multiple large mods or something.

Since Deploying is a costly operation, especially if you've got many mods and/or many loose files, it's definitely more effective to disable auto-deploy, for so handling any conflicts after install + enable mod and only deploy after you've handled all the file-conflicts.

You are absolutely right. Thank you for correcting my error.