Far harbor long save times

kanami24

Just as the title says, I'm experiencing odd long save times in far harbor. I recently got a new laptop and since then fallout 4 has been running like a dream. The reason I'm stating this is because whenever I save my game, it would save in the blink of an eye. No stutters, no 1 second delays when saving. I click save, boom. game saved.

Now, in far harbor however, when I'm in the actual world space (i.e. Not inside the nucleus or Arcadia, however outside) my laptop freezes for what feels like 5 minutes when saving. But when I do go inside, let's say, Arcadia -- back to instant game saves.

Obviously, as any other bethesda gamer, I am using mods and I use Vortex due to it being user friendly. I do have somewhere around 338 active mods atm however the only mods I use at current for far harbor is a mod for longfellow's cabin and a Dima memory skip mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35508

Outside of that, my first thought is compatibility -- I have 0 compatibility issues as of yet. However, I don't know if there is a optimization issue with the vanilla far harbor.

Long Loading times and Saving games, is usually script related.

how big is the saved games, and is this issue only applicable to Far Harbour Worldspace. as a test teleport to commonwealth (preferably downtown boston, so we can get a demanding area being ideal as test) and do a save, to see if their is a difference, just to be sure that this is definitely exclusive to far harbour. also check the size of the freshly made saved games in both downtown boston, and far harbour worldspace and let us know if their is any difference in saved game size for both locations

also list your mods. so i can get an idea on the demand you are putting on the game, since you have an excessive amount of mods, post your load order in a spoiler

[*spoiler]Load Order Goes Here[*/Spoiler]

Remove Asteriks * to Create Spoilers

Long Loading times and Saving games, is usually script related.

how big is the saved games, and is this issue only applicable to Far Harbour Worldspace. as a test teleport to commonwealth (preferably downtown boston, so we can get a demanding area being ideal as test) and do a save, to see if their is a difference, just to be sure that this is definitely exclusive to far harbour. also check the size of the freshly made saved games in both downtown boston, and far harbour worldspace and let us know if their is any difference in saved game size for both locations

also list your mods. so i can get an idea on the demand you are putting on the game, since you have an excessive amount of mods, post your load order in a spoiler

[*spoiler]Load Order Goes Here[*/Spoiler]

Remove Asteriks * to Create Spoilers

i did a little testing and the long save times were happening in the common wealth as well and continued to do so in boston. so I took to my mod list and did some experimenting. it wasn't theeee truly ghoulish mod but however it was surprisingly the skip dima memory mod -- despite it working perfectly for its purpose. after removing this mod, back to instant saves without having to roll back to a previous save and no save data corruption.

I can't say that this mod was the cause of it due to it not causing this issue on my old laptop though. When I went to wyre bash to redo the bash patch it gave me a message stating that I was over its maximum mod limit of 2...34? 234 active esp mods.

also sorry for not stating my load order, that's a lot of plugins lol would've token me days to list it all here. its entirely made up of weapons,frameworks, workshop stuff, weapon overhauls, cosmetics, utility mods such as backpacks, cheats to get around annoying parts of the game (i.e. scraping settlements, gathering mats, etc.) and ofcourse with fallout 4, a mod usually requires another mod.

at anyrate, the issue is fixed at current -- oh, I did go back and download a few other mods to see if the issue would come back again and it didn't so that's what I am currently watching out for. I did take to nuka world after completing the far harbor DLC and the issue still hasn't came back despite going back over the bash patch's esp limit. granted I didn't rebuild the patch yet and somewhat straying away from doing so (it will disable the patch if the bash patch cannot be activated after patching all current esp's and attempting to activate all esps and the patch within itself. if it cannot it will disable random esp plugins including the bash patch esp plugin.)

long saving times means their is an active or several active scripts running at the same time you are attempting to save the game.

their is 2 mods that do the same thing, 1 uses a bat file, and the other includes a script, so judging by the information you have presented, i am going to assume you have the scripted version mod, and it seems the script is not shutting itself down or you have a lot of scripted mods/many scrips are firing in fallout.

since you have a lot of mods and have not provided a load order, i am going to assume you are running a heavily scripted mod setup or you have deleted other scripted mods, or your active playhtrough is pretty big already and already has a lot of scripts baked into the saved game, and all it took was the Scripted version of the skip dima memory mod, to overload the Papyrus System causing the save games to take ages to save (due to part of the engine being overloaded/ Very Active). now because we are checking in the heavy areas such as far harbour world space, and downtown boston, meaning their is potentional many scripts running in these areas. this is why the saved games take so long to save.

now if you did indeed download the scripted version of the skip memory puzzle. you cant simply remove it in an active Playthrough, because Scripts bake into the saved games, which means eventually, you are going to run into severe issues. because you have now orphaned that script. and the game will still try to load it, this will in turn increase the Saved Games sizes rapidly (due to many scripts baking into the saved games, and on top of that a constantly firing orphaned script), and you will inevitably run into Saved Game Corruption. however before Saved Game Corruption, the game will become very unstable, which results in a lot of issues in it self, Long Loading times and Long Saving Times, is a sign, the length of time it takes for these tasks can increase based on how big the saved games are, and likewise how damaged they are, to the point of failure.

the game becomes increasingly unstable, the longer you play it. this is a fact, because the game itself is heavily scripted to begin with, as you make progress, more and more data is being stored into the saved games, which in turn means the saved games become very big, orphaned scripts can not be shutdown properly because the mod that created them or edited them is missing (as it is also possible that the mod modified the original game Script, which it might be the case here, and the scripts do not automatically revert back to the original script, unlike removing a non scripted mod would revert to the original game values, that does not work with scripts), as such they can continuesly fire, which will result in rapidly increases saved games, which results in increased game instability, many issues will arise from this, such as even longer loading times, even longer saved game times which now have a chance to fail, poor performance, and many other possible issues, the end result/ Fate = Saved Game Corruption, which means gameover, you will need to start again.

the Hard Mod Limit is 255 Active ESP and Or ESM files, Wrye Bash will not disable mods, unless they Exceed 255 Active ESP or ESM files, or you have mods with Missing Requirements. so no idea what is going on their. ESL files also have a limit, and that is strictly based on Record Entries, so if you also have many ESL files, Wrye Bash might class them as Total Mod Limit as well. which would explain why it disabling mods.

Check the Active mods in Wrye Bash in the far right side of the Program down the bottom, you should see X/X (Active mods/Total Mods - X as in total number of mods)

if you use NMM you can export the Load Order by clicking on the plugins tab, and the 5th icon down will export the Load Order in a text document, also Mod Organizer has a Plugins.txt file which includes all the mods you have installed. Every Mod Manager includes relavant information that you can copy which is Your Load Order. i would never expect someone to manually type 255+ Mods they are using, as all mod managers include a very quick and easy method of exporting that information for you.

I only Use NMM however so i only know how to export with that Mod Manager.

Saved Games are the Absolute most important part of any Bethesda Game when in comes to Stability, these based issues are Damage over time, and as such are not immediately apparent

any other mod that causes issues that are not script based, are situational based issues (they can either be immediatly apperent or will always trigger when specific conditions are met, such as deleted navmeshes the game will always crash in a specific location), and much easier to solve because of that (becuase the issue will always be found much quicker and always in the same situation),

however saved game based issues are not immediate apparent and can take a very long time before they become apparent. but their are sings to saved game based issues, the most apperent is long loading times, and saved game times. many issues can and will arise from saved game based issues, because they are real instability isssues.

Scripted mods that are poorly made or have been deleted in an active playthrough are the only mods that can completely destroy the Active Playthrough. when dealing with scripted mods, the mod user Must Do alot of research if they intend on having an everlasting playthrough, Because the Fact is the Game becomes more unstable the longer the playthrough is. the engine is not a powerful engine it is in fact quite fragile, and the game itself includes an aweful lot of Scripts and other content, that in itself makes the game even more fragile.

Edit: i just checked the mod, since it i missed that post, anywho it does indeed include scripts, so all relevant information based on my assumption of the scripted mod you are using out of the 2 is relevant.