Acronyms

popvirus2

I would like to make a suggestion/recommendation for mod authors. Some of the authors already follow this method and I was hoping to "standardize" the way acronyms are introduced/used on the description page..

Now mind you, I am a retired engineer and not an English professor...and a lot of people may see this as nit-picky however..,.

The subject of Acronyms was addressed in a Technical Writing class I had many, many years ago.

They taught the proper way to introduce an acronym into your writing is to type out the full "thing" to be "acronymedized" then use the acronym (Capital Letters) for the rest of your subject unless there is a specific need to use the long version.

Example:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

IMO this would make reading the descriptions a lot simpler...especially for the new folks. I totally understand most of the time you can figure it out, but.....

Thank you to all the mod authors for your hard, dedicated work that makes this site what it is...

V/R,

pops

I would like to make a suggestion/recommendation for mod authors. Some of the authors already follow this method and I was hoping to "standardize" the way acronyms are introduced/used on the description page..

Now mind you, I am a retired engineer and not an English professor...and a lot of people may see this as nit-picky however..,.

The subject of Acronyms was addressed in a Technical Writing class I had many, many years ago.

They taught the proper way to introduce an acronym into your writing is to type out the full "thing" to be "acronymedized" then use the acronym (Capital Letters) for the rest of your subject unless there is a specific need to use the long version.

Example:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

IMO this would make reading the descriptions a lot simpler...especially for the new folks. I totally understand most of the time you can figure it out, but.....

Thank you to all the mod authors for your hard, dedicated work that makes this site what it is...

V/R,

pops

This was the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), in all of my Medical Books as well.

They were introduced by their full name, followed by the acronym, like Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL), Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD) etc, and then after that, just referred to by the acronym.

You know, after thinking about this subject, I think I will start a database containing Acronym information...

Information to be documented:

1. Acronym

2. Long Version

3. Applicable Mod

4. Date Added

If anyone can think of what else, please tell me...

This will be an ongoing effort as new mods are added...if anyone wants to help me, I would like that.

If we can get several people to get involved, I can try and keep up with the added items...

I will probably use an excel spreadsheet since that is a software package I am really familiar with...if someone does not like/have excel, I can try and convert the file to a text file if I can without messing up the formatting...

If there is interest shown in this, I will open a new subject in the FO4 forum somewhere To Be Determined (TBD) :cool:

pops

You know, after thinking about this subject, I think I will start a database containing Acronym information...

Information to be documented:

1. Acronym

2. Long Version

3. Applicable Mod

4. Date Added

If anyone can think of what else, please tell me...

This will be an ongoing effort as new mods are added...if anyone wants to help me, I would like that.

If we can get several people to get involved, I can try and keep up with the added items...

I will probably use an excel spreadsheet since that is a software package I am really familiar with...if someone does not like/have excel, I can try and convert the file to a text file if I can without messing up the formatting...

If there is interest shown in this, I will open a new subject in the FO4 forum somewhere To Be Determined (TBD) :cool:

pops

YES PLEASE!!!

Too many times people come to the forum asking for help with DWTSFG or HEYDT (Both made up, I think) and basically time and posts are wasted because people wanting to help have to ask What's DWTSFG? or HEYDT.

Also, Mod Pages will sometimes have a description or sticky such as

"If you want to use My mod with TWYWTYWT or GFLP you need to use the patches provided, however, this mod is NOT compatible with SGYW or MNBFV"

If you are going to start a new database, you could do worse that start with the list of acronyms in the Nexus Wiki: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Common_acronyms

good place to start even though it is really an abbreviated list...thank you...

I've got it started...now if I can figure out how to make this excel spreadsheet available to the community...it only contains the information from Wiki so far but I will be working on it in my spare time...

Getting ready to head to Pensacola until after the first of the year so I won't have my desktop with me...I will have to use my laptop to continue this work...

Can anyone tell me how to get an excel file available for the public to view?