• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

Pyrotaxy

Pyrotaxy

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I dont like that vortex dosent pick up any games when i do the Scan for games quick or full scan dosent matter. it cant detect any of the 221 games i have on my hard drive. only way to get the games in is to add it yourself after downloading some stuff i didnt uderstand anything of.

Edited by Pyrotaxy, 25 March 2020 - 09:25 PM.

Luciferverone

Luciferverone

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Im in a fix here, I was considering installing Vortex since I wanted to fire up my old games and play them again but after reading all these comments and the support page I can see that this mod manager has many issues. I watched the videos on how to install vortex along with the other beginner stuff and all of this just seems needlessly complicated and convoluted. The main point I want to know is how is this better than the pervious mod manager in which I simply installed my mods and played the game without having any issues. Is this mod manager worth all the complications or not?

Didaskos

Didaskos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
In response to post #78781778.

Spoiler

Yes, Vortex is definitely better than NMM. It's far more reliable, and has much greater functionality. While you may have just "installed [your] mods and played the game", the problem with Nexus was that it was far more prone to bugs and mod conflicts as it didn't use any sort of virtualisation. If you installed a mod, and it conflicted with another, you would have to choose to overwrite the other mod, and if your load order wasn't quite right this could be catastrophic, and force you to uninstall everything and start again from scratch.

By comparison, Vortex doesn't have that problem, although its virtualisation isn't perfect, and relies on HTML links in the game's data folder IIRC. Still, it's a huge step up over NMM. If you want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 then there's an argument to be made that using Mod Organizer 2 would be better, but Vortex supports a much greater number and variety of games, and they're also made by the same guy regardless.

Most of the complaints around Vortex are focused on the fact that people don't really understand or like the way in which it handles load orders, which is more complicated than for MO2 or NMM, although arguably better in the long run. Essentially, you set "rules" for certain mods to load before and after different mods, eliminating conflicts as a result. While this is an arduous task if you're doing it for your first time, in the long run it means that adding new mods is arguably more easy, as you just need to set them to load before/after mods they conflict with and it will handle it optimally for you.

This ultimately means that the more mods you use, the less manual reordering you need to do, particularly since Vortex uses LOOT as a default tool anyway. If you chose to completely reinstall your mods, you wouldn't have to fiddle with the load order at all - it would do all of that for you.

My personal preference is still MO2, as I mainly use mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4, but Vortex is still a great tool.

Didaskos

Didaskos

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
In response to post #78482158.

Spoiler

Dude, using Vortex is really not that complicated. You download it, and log in using your Nexus account. You then go on the nexus site and click to download mods via Vortex, and they download automatically. You then handle load orders for your games with LOOT, an included automated tool, and by setting rules so that some mods will load after others. The UI is simple and straightforward, and when you first install Vortex there's also a basic user guide and tutorial anyway IIRC.

None of this is hard, or requires a great deal of skill. If you decide you want to play Skyrim with 500 mods, then sure, you might be fiddling with your load order rules for a while. But for a casual user, as you seem to be, none of this should really be an issue at all.

Regardless, if you hate mods and modding so much then you simply don't need to use them. It's clear you have a lot of anger and stress at the moment, so maybe it would be better just to take a break from all of this, and go read a book or something instead.

sinfulscars

sinfulscars

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
In response to post #78482158. #79478373 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

mayyou please add thors hammer v2 back in there please iv neer usede it and it looks so cool please

Luciferverone

Luciferverone

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
In response to post #78781778. #79478043 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

What you described just makes me think its complicated. I mean setting them in an order can be done by LOOT anyways so whats the point of this manager?

BarrySnowman777

BarrySnowman777

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
In response to post #78781778. #79478043, #79847633 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

I tried modding oblivion with wyre bash and all of that and as it was my first time modding it was a miserable experience. Someone told me about vortex, in just 3 days i had not only learnt to use it but i had also downloaded over 100 Skyrim mods and got them all to work with ease. Adding or removing mods could not be easier and the load order has never been a problem.

Page loaded in: 0.911 seconds