MODDING: Adding a NEW weapon

Moraelin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guide is sooo cool. I got it to work on the first try without even knowing anything about the tools involved or modding Oblivion/Fallout. So thank you very much for that. :)

I do have one question tho...

I would like to make the Desert Eagle gun use the sounds supplied by Alex Scorpions Desert Eagle mod.

I tried copying over a SOUN group to the .esp, then adding the SOUNs i want to replace (WPNPistol10mmFire3D and WPNPistol10mmFire2D). I changed the Form IDs and EDIDs as told in the guide (changing the third byte to F). Then I modified the WEAP record's SNAM and XNAM entries to use the new Form IDs. The sound files are located inside "Data\Sound\Deagle1\fx\wpn\pistol_10mm\fire" and I changed the FNAM entry within both SOUN records to have that path instead of the old.

The game loads just fine and I can player.additem the Desert Eagle or buy it from Moira with not problems and I can fire, reload, etc. It's just that I don't hear any sound at all only the bullet hitting something (like a CLUNK or something) but the muzzleflash itself has no sound.

What could I be missing?

Thanks for the tip, but Alex' mod is a replacer mod and thus doesn't include an .esp file at all. At least not within the two archives I downloaded from Nexus. From what i understand it works by setting the bInvalidateOldFiles flag to 1 and writing the files to replace inside a ArchiveInvalidation.txt file so that the engine knows that it should use the replacement files and not the original ones. Please do correct me if I am wrong as I only have a very limited knowledge of all this...

Nevermind, it seems it was the path that was causing problems. For some reason, having "Deagle1" as top folder instead of "fx" kept it from working. I changed the paths to:

"fx\wpn\pistol_10mm\fire\wpn_pistol10mm_deagle1_fire_2d.wav" and

"fx\wpn\pistol_10mm\fire\wpn_pistol10mm_deagle1_fire_3d.wav"

which are located inside "Data\Sounds" and now it's working. Sounds really cool in VATS. Props to AlexScorpion. Also, and I dunno if that makes a difference, in the vanilla records there is always a 00 hex code as finishing mark. This looks like a "." in ASCII. Before I was replacing that mark with my custom path, but this time I left it in to properly mark the end of the path.

I had no luck finding out where to specify the reloading sounds... in the WEAP record for the vanilla 10mm pistol inside Fallout3.esm there is no entry which relates to a reloading sound. At least none that FOMM can show. If anyone knows something about that please speak up.

naw, all ingame sounds ;) i do want to change that in the future though so not everything sounds the same.

deagle = 44mag, Fal = Lincoln's repeater, which actually sounded AMAZING i thought in automatic fire

Nevermind, it seems it was the path that was causing problems. For some reason, having "Deagle1" as top folder instead of "fx" kept it from working. I changed the paths to:

"fx\wpn\pistol_10mm\fire\wpn_pistol10mm_deagle1_fire_2d.wav" and

"fx\wpn\pistol_10mm\fire\wpn_pistol10mm_deagle1_fire_3d.wav"

which are located inside "Data\Sounds" and now it's working. Sounds really cool in VATS. Props to AlexScorpion. Also, and I dunno if that makes a difference, in the vanilla records there is always a 00 hex code as finishing mark. This looks like a "." in ASCII. Before I was replacing that mark with my custom path, but this time I left it in to properly mark the end of the path.

I had no luck finding out where to specify the reloading sounds... in the WEAP record for the vanilla 10mm pistol inside Fallout3.esm there is no entry which relates to a reloading sound. At least none that FOMM can show. If anyone knows something about that please speak up.

Excellent work, djdeluxe! That problem was vexing me no end. Thanks for solving it for all of us.

Archived