So why does (almost) everyone hate Fallout: New Vegas?

asdfpepper

Skyrim is a vacuum so much potential but its factions and characters are for the most part so bland. they hinted at things so much when it came to factions or certain characters but leave them alone. I felt in some ways skyrim is worse than fallout 3 when it comes to interesting characters and stories. Raiders of paradise falls have more character than the whole imperial legion. alas im getting off topic here.

I don't think fallout 3s factions where as bad as people complained about. tennpenny tower, megaton, underworld, arafu where interesting to me and i cared about their well being. bethesda failed to expand apon that though or show meaniful changes that could accur in the game world.

Yeah that's how I felt about Skyrim, a stunning world with nothing of any interest in it. I think once again it comes back to writing, they just don't put any importance on it. Characters are just dull or unbelievable. The companions are the worst, Skyrims companions are just empty shells, devoid of personality, compare them to those in NV or even FO3. The main story is tired, hackneyed prophecy stuff again and finishing it makes no difference whatsoever to the world, in fact nothing the player does makes any difference to anything, you might as well not bother. I think Skyrim was a massive step back from FO3, for me it's worse than Oblivion, at least Oblivion had a few memorable characters and a main quest that actually changed something.

I agree FO3s factions weren't as bad as some make out but once again the potential was wasted, poor writing and a lack of creativity really limited them, that said they stand head and shoulders above those in Skyrim.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, everyone has different needs and wants in their games. Because I consider RPGs to be interactive novels, the lack of deep roles and stuff is ok, because there are mods! My big complaint is they played the stupid post apocalyptic tropes instead of subverting them. The dead earth, all the critters are mutants, etc. There wasn't nearly enough continuance between the pre and post war worlds. If the power is still working in DC and te water is irradiated everywhere, wouldn't Girdershade attract way more people than Megaton or failing that, shouldn't little intact town like Orney be every where, fortified and populated? I lived a good chunk of my childhood in Delphis Ohio and could see that place with a city wall of highwaychunks and mortar by the end of 2077, with snipers on the walls and on water towers to pick off raiding parties while scavengers go into Lima to loot the machining equipment from the car dealships, the oil refinery, and the tank factory.

In short, I wanted a realistic, given the premise of the war, exploration of post apocalyptic life. I wanted to know about education, waste management, politcal loyalties, music, clothing manufacture, salvaging...all in a game that allows me to blow up a pack of deathclaws with a shoulder mounted nuclear capapult. And yes you can do both.

Honestly though, the tools are there. The best DLC for 3 was Anchorage hands down. Point Lookout was a more solid design, but Anchorage gave the best toolset for character development. Like, how does a 19 year old who's never fired a gun before and not been trained in combat kill the f*** out of raiders? If she's got T-51b and fully minted Chinese Assualt Rifle, then suddenly it justifies everything.

Yeah, if they were hiring writers and quality control people. I'd put my hat in the ring, but I don't think they want to hear 'You're doing it wrong!'

But the real gold of Fallout is the pre war. Nothing else is remotely interesting comparatively. I'd do anything to be able to make an American style anime called Fallout World of Tomorrow in a universe where the bombs didn't fall and there's a civil war in 2077 between the Enclave and the US government, led by the US military under Chase. The. We could directly dive into the meat of Fallout.

I like Fallout New Vegas. But what I don't like about is something that is universal cannon. Humanity is rebuilding and recovering because people are noble, caring, and helpful. Sorry, but I disagree. Humanity should suffer a slow decline, and any valiant efforts made to improve should always end in failure from human corruption. My reason: You fallout people trashed your own planet, so redemption is impossible. Yes, I know this goes against Fallout but that's how I feel. Fallout should end with God putting humanity on trial, finding them all guilty, and deny any entry to the gates of Heaven.

I like Fallout New Vegas. But what I don't like about is something that is universal cannon. Humanity is rebuilding and recovering because people are noble, caring, and helpful. Sorry, but I disagree. Humanity should suffer a slow decline, and any valiant efforts made to improve should always end in failure from human corruption. My reason: You fallout people trashed your own planet, so redemption is impossible. Yes, I know this goes against Fallout but that's how I feel. Fallout should end with God putting humanity on trial, finding them all guilty, and deny any entry to the gates of Heaven.

Humanity is rebuilding because that's what humanity does, if we didn't the people of Europe would still be living in bombed out houses.

I don't think most people would prefer sitting in ruins for a few centuries. Sure, you can't really complain about not having luxuries in a post-apocalyptic scenario, but that doesn't mean you can't rebuild by making a bare-bones house out of scrap metal or use that G.E.C.K to create some sandcrete houses. Edited by asdfpepper

NO, you don't understand. I don't want these people helping each other. I like to think of it this way: When these fallout people nuked their planet they lost their connection with God. They are now what they were meant to be, trash people. No matter how hard they want to return to their positive ways they can't because they are garbage. I remember playing Fallout 1 and seeing these bums, drunks, and druggies all over the place my thought was "good, you got what you deserved." If I had it my way, Fallout would focus on failure to help fellow wastelanders, petty arguments that escalate to killing, misery, jealousy, getting one up on your neighbor by having better stuff, materialism, illiteracy, crime culture, fashion shows, etc. Perhaps maybe the Brotherhood of Steel can be the good guys. They can dangle hope in front of the wastelanders noses and snatch it away on God's say so.

That's what I like about Fallout 3. Many people have something wrong with them, like the nuts from Andale and the weirdos at Dave's Republic, Tenpenny bigots and scheming Roy Philips ghouls. If the entire wasteland could be knocked down several notches like that we could have more interesting scenarios such as doctors who refuse treatment because they are racists or don't like your religion, unethical science geniuses in pursuit of the next way to exploit people in need, and much more enjoyable suffering to witness. But no, Obsidian fallout wants to foster a society of kindness and shelter because "people deserve better" instead of people surviving because they are selfish. Bah!

That sounds like a very strange God, why punish people for the sins of others? It's two hundred years after the bombs fell, those responsible are either dead or ghouls, Houses defence system kept most of the missiles away, if anything they haven't rebuilt enough.

You do realize that you aren't in direct opposition to Obsidian's vision, you are in direct opposition to Fallout's vision, including all the good things you can do and good people you can help in Fallout 3? And what's more, this connection to God thing is rubbish. Fallout is no where near strictly secular, but the wasteland is a continatuon of earth's history and the development of human civilization, not an after thought, nor a physical Hell. It's a dark age, like the one after the fall of Rome. And like the Dark Ages, there will be a Reniance and rebuilding period, which has begun in earnest in the West and even in DC the spouts are beginning to poke through the soil.

In as much politeness as I can mister: what in the hell are you talking about?