[LE] [HELP] Conflicting textures with mod, my mod doesn't change textures

Austvinden

Hello.

So I've been working on a mod that adds a bank/storage outside Markarth for around a week now.

In the testing phase, I found out that some NPCs got the mis-matched texture bug known as "gray-face".

It doesn't happen to every NPC that my mod touches, so I figured it's a conflict. I found out it's conflicting with "Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul" (Version 2) by Rops1981

Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23755?tab=description

I don't understand why my mod conflicts with this one, except that the only reason for it to conflict should be that my mod adds keys to 20 NPCs, and not all of those NPCs get the gray-face bug, even the ones touched by NPC Overhaul.

List of some NPCs my mod adds keys to, commenting on whether they get the bug or not, and mentioning NPC Overhaul changes:

Kleppr - GRAY. NPC Overhaul: Textures and hair.

Cedran - GRAY. NPC Overhaul: Textures and hair.

Thonar Silver-Blood - GRAY. NPC Overhaul: Textures and hair.

Thongvor Silver-Blood - GRAY. NPC Overhaul: Textures and hair.

Calcelmo - GRAY. NPC Overhaul: Textures and hair.

Aicantar - OK. NPC Overhaul: Textures and hair.

I have 15 more NPCs to check in TES5Edit. I won't mention all of them here because those five will prove the point I'm trying to make. As you can see in the spoiler, 5/5 NPCs mentioned are touched by NPC Overhaul in the same way, changing hair, facial hair, or textures (face tint), yet, only 4/5 NPCs have the gray face bug, Aicantar being the one who doesn't get the bug. wtf?
I have tried exporting the FaceGen data in the creation kit, but to no avail. I've also tried removing the Textures folder in Skyrim/Data to try to clear the folder in case any other .dds files were in there irrelevant to my mod, again, to no avail.
I have tried moving my mod below and above NPC Overhaul in the mod order, without luck.
My mod doesn't change textures, so I don't see how it could conflict. Nor does it change any sort of appearance for the NPCs in question, it's basically got the vanilla hair and all that, but every mod that touches NPCs with e.g. inventory or AI Packages has that.
I'm thinking maybe I need to make a patch with TES5Edit? I don't know how but I could look it up on YouTube. I figured I'd ask here first before I waste another ten hours trying to fix this issue.
This however seems highly unlikely for me, because out of all the thousands of mods I've tried that change NPCs in any way shape or form (inventory, outfit, NOT custom hair/textures), have never conflicted with NPC Overhaul.
Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Have you tried switching the load order ...

Also looks to be some problems with compatibility from other mods from reading a bit of the forum from that mod.

The best test for you at this point would be to run your mod without that mod running and see if you're still getting problems.

I think the problem is that if you touch an NPC record, there's a good chance that you'll get the face bug. That's because you're duplicating the entire NPC record, which will revert the changes from any mod that changes that NPC. Instead of adding it directly to the NPC record, you should write a script that adds the keys to their inventories when the quest starts. Even if you don't have an actual "quest", you can still use the quest system to initialize your mod.

Have you tried switching the load order ...

Also looks to be some problems with compatibility from other mods from reading a bit of the forum from that mod.

The best test for you at this point would be to run your mod without that mod running and see if you're still getting problems.

I have tried moving my mod below and above NPC Overhaul in the mod order, without luck.

Yep. I've tried both of the things you mentioned, to no avail. But thanks for the input anyway.

I think the problem is that if you touch an NPC record, there's a good chance that you'll get the face bug. That's because you're duplicating the entire NPC record, which will revert the changes from any mod that changes that NPC. Instead of adding it directly to the NPC record, you should write a script that adds the keys to their inventories when the quest starts. Even if you don't have an actual "quest", you can still use the quest system to initialize your mod.

Thanks, I'll try that, sounds like a very plausible solution :smile: I'm gonna try to use defaultAddItemScript on each NPC and report here how it goes.

Edit: It worked! Thank you so much @Grospolina, this was causing a tremendous headache for me.

---------------------------------------

SOLUTION (for anyone else having this problem):

Instead of adding a key directly to the NPC's inventory, go to the inventory of the NPC you want to add the key to, select "Add" in the script section, and choose "defaultAddItemKeyScript", edit all the values, choose your key, the amount, if it's unique (respawning or not).

Edited by ka1zyGONEcrazy