Music Mods & Silence

Botchling

Hey all!

Been looking into the music mods on the nexus aaaaand Im a bit lost. I really want to give them ALL a try. But I see that almost all of them offer both a replacer version and a version that adds music. Why is this? Are there any problems installing/uninstalling music mods?

They dont really go into this, apart from comments I find complaining about CTDs and the mods not working. How can a music mod cause a CTD? Really?!

On another topic, I feel that I am in need of a mod to give me some more silence. Feel like theres a track playing constantly. 20-40 % would be ideal. Sometimes you just want to roam the wilderness listening to the sounds around you and your new spectacular weather mod.

Any kind soul around to advice me?

I am not really interested in installing all the music mods in some package with compatibility patches. But If this is somehow the safest way to go? OK :/ Also, Im not interested In Jeremy Soule and his apparently shitty personal life? Only his amazing Skyrim Soundtrack.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Botchling

A CTD can be caused by the mod itself (poor coding, at a guess, a conflict with another mod, etc), or (potentially) by a problem with its own dependent content, like music files that are corrupt or missing.

Northern Diaries is a good mod, if you're looking for suggestions. Or I should say, it fits my choices for skyrim music and works without issue. I've had it installed long enough I'm not sure if it replaced or augmented the music, but I think augment is the right description.

As long as they *add* music rather than *replacing*, I *think* you should be safe to experiment with music mods. If it breaks the game or fails to produce music as intended, disable or uninstall it, whatever mod "it" is. then use a save file cleaner like Fallrim tools to remove any lingering garbage it left behind in any save file you intend to keep using if it was made while the mod was active.

That does beg the question though, do any mods keep persistent scripts in the game (ie literally overwrite scripts or permanently append scripts to other files than those unique ones they bring to the table once they've been uninstalled? (aside from a save file I mean)

A music replacer mod will disable the original Skyrim music so that you only ever hear the new tracks provided by the mod. A music addon mod will add new tracks so that you sometimes hear the original tracks and sometimes hear new tracks.

I don't think music mods add or modify scripts.

A music replacer mod will disable the original Skyrim music so that you only ever hear the new tracks provided by the mod. A music addon mod will add new tracks so that you sometimes hear the original tracks and sometimes hear new tracks.

I don't think music mods add or modify scripts.

Can't say for others, but Sky radio sure does. I just got done purging leftover instances and Skyradio scripts using Fallrim tools last night from a couple of saves (different play vectors and characters).

...Maybe because it's attached to a game item (the dwemer radio)

So... Does anyone actually know if its safe to uninstall and try different music mods?

In my case its immersive music Id like to switch from. Why isnt this mentioned by the mod authors? Uninstall instructions should ofcourse be provided and if its not a good idea you should just be informed at least.

- Turn off music

- Wait for 172 hours indoors or underwater

- Make new save.

- Uninstall.

- Clean Save with Fallrim tools.

- Install new music mod.

- Get CTD as soon as you fast travel back to Whiterun?

Edited by Botchling