CTD On Loading ANY Save For No Reason At All? (SE)

Jaycora

This is most weird. I have plenty of CTD problems before, but none like this.

I was playing and everything is perfectly fine. No CTDs or anything. A very stable playthrough.

Then the new mod I was using,The Fog Machine (which uses a zEdit patcher), was annoying me a bit because it seemed to generate more and more fog to the point I couldn't see anything. So I thought, what the hell, let me try quitting to main menu and reload my newest save. A full, proper, save. Not a quicksave or autosave.

Loading... loading... then as the load finishes (you hear the sounds fade in and right before the screen brightens) I get a CTD.

I tried starting up again, same thing. The same thing happens whichever save I load. Even the old ones from way back. Not to mention my older saves didn't have the severe fog issue yet.

I rebuilt my zPatch.esp without the Fog Machine stuff anyway and it didn't help.

The furthest I can get is when the screen brightens up and I can see stuff, but it will CTD before I can do anything.

It makes zero sense. I'm playing perfectly fine and all of a sudden, I can't load any saves at all? I only have 157 plugins active. Definitely not overloading my saves with any animations or scripts. My modlist and load order is here.

I genuinely don't understand. How can my game just randomly be un-loadable when I was just playing perfectly fine?

And yes, I have reloaded saves plenty of times in this playthrough before this and everything was fine.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Extra Note: This has nothing to do with the new Skyrim SE or SKSE updates. I kept mine intact and safe from them.

Update: I did manage to find one save from way back that doesn't CTD upon loading. To put it into perspective, I'm currently finished with the DB questline. That save file was from Vittoria Vici's wedding. I don't know what's different about that save file, though. I added and changed nothing since then.

Update 2: I played on that old save and just redid the DB questline. Through the questline I also tried to reloading saves and everything seemed fine. Afterwards, I completed the DB questline and went on with my playthrough. I tried reloading a save again, and boom. CTD. I'm really not sure what went wrong at which point. But basically from a certain point on, all my saves become unloadable and cause a CTD right after it finishes loading.

Edited by Jaycora

send me a saved game file you want tested, I'll purge the file and save it here and reload it.

IF you want a short video of the processes, I'll grant that too. and then send it back to you.

NOTE: I will not have any mods installed, just the latest version of the game.

send me a saved game file you want tested, I'll purge the file and save it here and reload it.

IF you want a short video of the processes, I'll grant that too. and then send it back to you.

I put up the save files here.

The latest one is unfortunately the autosave but I also included a proper save from further back.

Yes, a short video would be immensely helpful.

Thanks so much! :happy:

I put up the save files here.

The latest one is unfortunately the autosave but I also included a proper save from further back.

Yes, a short video would be immensely helpful.

Thanks so much! :happy:

Ok got them, woke up early.

do you have any other Bethesda games I could test?

I got the same thing again. Is the drive digital?

How old is the hard drive?

I need some other game save to verify , I;ll show you what it's supposed to look like.

I fear your drive is failing.

A-Good-saved-game-file.jpg