From NMM to Vortex

wova253

There's always pain in switching mod managers. If you want to use Vortex, first test it out on a brand new game. Do not try to transfer a current game, especially if you're deep into it and using hundreds of mods.

If you do start a new game, the good news is that it's easy to transfer existing game archives, assuming that you have saved them. Once Vortex has discovered your games and you've configured Vortex properly, you simply drag and drop those archives into the file drop box on the Mods Page and then install.

From the Vortex dashboard you can access very helpful articles and videos about setting up and using Vortex.

Warning! Do not use Vortex to manage a game for which you are already using a different mod manager. Mixing mod managers for the same game leads to disaster.

First, listen to Augusta.

If you are converting an existing game to Vortex, start by cleaning it up.

With NMM, uninstall all existing mods. I recommend against just migrating NMM mods to Vortex.

Delete everything in your game directory that was not installed by Bethesda. That includes directories Scripts, Textures, and Meshes.

Use Steam to validate your game directory. That will replace anything you deleted but should not have.

Run your game to make sure the clean version works.

Install any script manager following the instructions.

Bring up Vortex.

Drag the archives (zip, etc) of all your mods to the Vortex mod window.

Install them all.

Enable one or two, and Deploy

Test

Repeat with the rest of your mods.

I recommend a new game as well for a switch of managers. Vortex is kinda weird compared to nmm but since I swapped over and got it figured out it has been fantastic and has yet to stear me wrong. If you ever need help just ask on the forums and people will be happy to help you.

Thanks to everyone for the answers. Apparently I will not change the mod manager yet - now I have too little time, and there is too much work with the transition to a new program.