player character gender mismatch

technoxenoholic

hi folks, i've been digging for some kind of tutorial to try and figure out doing this myself but i'm very lost and i have very little coding knowledge (mainly html and visual basic, neither of which helps with this). i am but a simple transgender person who would greatly appreciate having a mod to either:

a) remove gendered language towards the player (ex. hancock calling you "brother" or "sister" in different voice lines) -- or, failing that:

b) make npcs perceive a "female" character as male (ex. address nora as sir, brother, etc.) and vice versa (ex. address nate as ma'am, sister, etc.)

if this can only be done for companions or possibly main quest characters as well that would be okay too, since i'm well aware that random people who don't know a trans person are not necessarily going to guess that trans person's gender correctly (especially not the raider around the corner who is drugged out of his skull). at minimum i would want this kind of thing for romanceable companions (i love him, but i am so tired of hancock calling me the wrong gender) but i know that changing that much information is probably a lot of work. changing any pre-war dialogue is not necessary since it unfortunately feels accurate to have my gender be ignored by the perma-50s-era npcs before the war, and it's not a long section of the game anyway

and y'know what if anyone knows how i could do this myself (without creation kit though, thank you) and can shoot me a tutorial instead i would be very glad to have that as well, since then i'm sure i could finesse the whole thing to my liking even if it inevitably takes me a lot of effort to learn this new skill

(op's pronouns are they/them, not he/him or she/her. thank you!)

No clue, aside from using one of the "player managers" on an ad-hoc, per-NPC incidence (ie, using BOSSE, Manipulator, Lazytools, or one of the SL based mods (Eager NPCs comes to mind) to force gender assignment. But I can say with certainty that it is possible and quite easy with the right mod(s) installed, although I don't recall which of the above actually allow it as I haven't fiddled with my character gender in a while)

de nada friend. Hope it helps. If I clue in in-the-meantime, I'll post the mods I have installed that offer the player the ability to swap their gender identifier (I don't mean racemenu sex change)

Update: It's SL. Probably a Lover's Lab download. I don't think SL is available at Nexus

Once installed, it's in the MCM under animation settings. It doesn't change your body or any magick/arms skills, just the way the game recognizes your gender. I checked all the other player/NPC managers I have installed, but no, it doesn't seem you can do what you want in them. Just SL

At a guess, it could also be accomplished using the console, but I'm not sure how, so on that one I could be talking out of my derriere...

Oh crud...I just realized you're playing Fallout, not Skyrim SE. Oh well, hopefully it leads you where you need to be one way or another.

I imagine the best way to do it would involve this: https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=GetSex_-_ActorBase.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with Papyrus so I am not sure how you would fix it. If that isn't used for any NPCs, easiest way would probably be to change which values that are considered to be which gender, so you would just have to figure out which script that is in for dialogue purposes.

I doubt most NPCs have non-gendered lines, so getting that to work would involve a LOT of dialogue editing, which is another thing I have not messed with unfortunately. That said, dialogue edits would negate the need for messing with scripts, it would just be a bit tedious and probably involve a lot of edited sound files.

right, so, i think i've worked out how i'm going to do this, i just need to figure out the "doing it" part. i've found my way into the files and combed through the voicelines for a few companions just to give myself an idea of where and what they all are, soooooo... how do i make a mod to replace certain voice lines? i've tried every google search i can think of and every tutorial i can find, and all i'm getting is "how to create custom follower dialogue", which is not what i want. how do i make a mod to overwrite existing companion dialogue lines with new ones (which would be my non-gendering edits of the original lines) and/or stop certain lines out of a list from playing (say: the lines your companion picks from when you get wounded, for instance)? i don't want to permanently delete or overwrite the originals -- ie. if i remove/disable my own mod i want the lines to go back to normal on their own.

The easiest way to mod (at least, for me) is to simply rename the files. You'll need a couple of empty folders for all of this, and you'll have to be careful as to not get mixed-up while you are doing it (each time you you change a single file name, you'd drop in the other 'completed' folder until all of them were done).

If its anything like clothing - which I have done this with - there should be some identifier in the files (in clothing, its a simple 'F' or 'M'). Just swap the file names around (rename them), but I would back them all up first before doing so. Then just put them in the correct folder as 'loose files', and they should over-write the vanilla files. You should have Loose Files enabled anyway, if you are modding.

This isn't nearly as 'neat' a way as creating an actual mod, because you'd have to reverse all this if you wanted to ever play a non-transgender (or perhaps a post-op trans) person, but I know it will work. Its also a LOT more work - you have to go through just about every voice file for every NPC (even ones like raiders constantly use gender pronouns while yelling at you).

Another way I thought of is to just swap the body files (something else I've played with), but I think at that point the clothing would become a problem - you'd likely get the 'wrong' clothes on the body and have clipping issues.

In the end, I hope you can find someone who is good with Papyrus to do this for you; it should be as simple as put a check in every time an NPC speaks, and do a "If {var} = 'A' then set {var} to 'B'; if {var} = 'B' then set {var} to 'A' " kind of thing. I programmed back in the dinosaur days, so I know how its supposed to work, but I am unfamiliar with Papyrus specifically. I can think of at least one very good modder who'd probably be willing to help you, but her discord (TMaH) doesn't have a 'modding ideas' section. On the other hand, if you join Thuggy's Discord (Project Valkyrie), I know there is several like-minded folks there who's modding skill put to shame my own meager abilities, and that Discord server DOES have a 'mod ideas' section, and they are VERY helpful. And a lot of the same people are on both those servers, so I stress the 'like minded' part. :wink:

Cheers

Edited by MarkusTay

@HeyYou that would hypothetically be "easier", but the animations would be a pain to deal with and changing the voices and whatnot of the player characters would be necessary anyway. and besides, i've already got a bunch of voicelines remixed to be non-gendering now, which is my preferred solution anyway as i'm nonbinary.

@MarkusTay i am NOT going to change the game files out. i want to create a replacement mod which can be toggled on and off at will so i can still play binary characters as well, not actually rename and replace the files (that seems like a recipe for disaster and aggravation). as mentioned above in my reply to HeyYou i have modified a number of the the gendered voice lines already, and what i need is someone to help me implement a "replace voicelines" mod. and no offense but i do not want to join a discord devoted to an expansive world-overhaul mod that i have no interest in using just to make a comparatively tiny voice-line swapper.