bUseNavMeshForMovement

anjenthedog

Hi,

So as the title notes, this is about bUseNavMeshForMovement

Currently, it's set for none, ie, bUseNavMeshForMovement=0

So, what I'm wondering is what it does, or what it's used for.

(I presume it means I have full purchase of any navigable area without having to follow a prescribed path, but to be honest, I really have no sure idea)

So, the reason I ask is that some mods have issues that I can't pin down, and some *appear to have specific issues with navmeshes...

For instance, I installed one of the 'better roads' mods a month or two ago (since removed) and found that my followers were avoiding large sections of road after its installation, implying that it was corrupting some path they normal would follow (like walking behind me on the cobbled path)

Another is that followers will not willingly enter the compound for Lakeview Manor.

And at one of the player homes, followers will not cross a couple of thresholds.

I *presume it has something to do with navmeshes.

Could I set it to 1 instead and "play" as an NPC would see the world?

So for instance, if I spawned myself on to the road with that road mods installed, I could "see" the problem myself, instead of inferring it from what followers won't do?

Just curious what it does and if I can use it to my benefit.

thanks in advance

I think that setting forces the player to use the navmesh instead of having the ability to hop up and down the mountain sides... But whether or not you'll be able to "see" any problems is an unknown. You can always try it and see what it does as you can always revert it as well.

Thanks for the reply Ishara. That's what I presumed too, but I'm really not even quite sure what "navmesh" specifically means outside a general idea born of my 'technical' background. I presume it defines a navigable area like Hot Wheels track keeps the cars in, or a fenced area keeps cattle in (or out), but other than that, I really hain't a clue.

Just trying to save a bit of time and learn without having to retrace the same steps that were traced 7 years ago... if I can help it. ;)

Navmesh is built upon the ground where the author wants NPCs to be able to go. It is comprised of triangles of varying sizes. The points of which need to meet up when two navmesh layers meet. Navmesh typically does not go over large boulders and such. The player is capable of jumping to such non-navmesh places while the NPC stands on the ground looking at the player with an expression that always seems to say "Why can't I ever do that?" or "Show off!!!"

I would describe it more as a toddler who does not like walking barefoot on grass and as such remains on the blanket. A "blanket" is laid out for the NPC to walk on. And as long as they can remain on the "blanket" they will find a way to navigate to their destination.

Navmesh is built upon the ground where the author wants NPCs to be able to go. It is comprised of triangles of varying sizes. The points of which need to meet up when two navmesh layers meet. Navmesh typically does not go over large boulders and such. The player is capable of jumping to such non-navmesh places while the NPC stands on the ground looking at the player with an expression that always seems to say "Why can't I ever do that?" or "Show off!!!"

I would describe it more as a toddler who does not like walking barefoot on grass and as such remains on the blanket. A "blanket" is laid out for the NPC to walk on. And as long as they can remain on the "blanket" they will find a way to navigate to their destination.

Heh...I like the "toddler" analogy. Thanks for spelling out the concept for me Ishara. I figured it was something like that, although I naively pictured it as a cartesian "screen".

Yeah, I'll admit that playing with followers changed my methods for getting around. I know they're not human, not even alive technically, but I still find myself feeling bad when a favorite follower is stuck, and so patiently try to find them a path that avoids me teleporting them via summon or moveto.

So in the end, it looks like it could be useful as a diagnostic tool. Maybe with only limited benefit in specific circumstance (like the boundary issues at Waterview Rifken or Lakeview Manor's gates (I have the addon that places a pool on the Northern end and a wall around the compound) , but still.

Thanks for your patience and for tackling what probably seems a stupid query to many who are more experienced.