Is Vortex worth it?

jadenfrancis

i just saw that nmm isn't supported anymore and i ponder if the brand new vortex is well worth it. plus, is the migration from nmm to vortex is easy? all of the mods supported? anyway, my recreation is crashing for no purpose so i might need to sparkling instal everything.

Edited by jadenfrancis

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex is the official mod manager of Nexus Mods and is actively being worked on by a dedicated programming team. It is constantly being enhanced and mod support for new games is being added. Check out the recent post on the 1.1 version of Vortex to get an idea of the sort of updates that we release on a regular basis: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14168

If you have a massive mod list that is working perfectly, then, by all means, stay with the mod manager or method you are using currently. But if your setup is struggling or you think it might be best to start over anyway, then we recommend using Vortex.

Please note that Vortex is a bit different. That is by design. So, it might take some time getting used to.

This should help you get started: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Category:Getting_Started

Obviously just my opinion, but..

What I used to love about NMM was it's simplicity. It was a mod organizer which worked well.

What I am starting to intensely dislike about Vortex, is that it is very, very complicated. it's a monster that tries to do too much, and ends up mucking things up.

My list of dislikes: (It all relates to Vortex trying to do EVERYTHING).

1. I do not want my mod manager to "inspect" my ESL files for changes, as this creates an issue every time you make changes to a mod in xEdit, or even just drop a mesh replacer directly into the SSE Data file. What Vortex does is find this file, and DELETE it for you. or reverting back to an earlier saved version, making you lose all the changes you made in xEdit. What a pain!

2. LOOT is great for sorting your mods. What is not great is Vortex trying to be LOOT, yet poorly. So it does not allow manual sorting, except with great cumbersome-ness. Making manual rules, and then having Vortex not able to implement these is vexing. And I mean simple stuff, like having one armor file load before another one because you use one to override something from the other one. Unless you change the file type, you get error message after error message.

3. FNIS is great for adding new animations to SSE, but Vortex wants to manage that too, and again, poorly.

4. Vortex leaves empty "phantom" folders when you uninstall a mod, which leaves a cluttered data folder

5. Vortex installs ALL image files (e.g. photos from mod creators), and text files created by mod authors directly into the DATA folder, which gives a very cluttered folder after a while. Not sure if thse files are needed by SSE, or can be deleted at this point.

So I miss the good old days of using NMM to load my mods, xEdit to change things the way I like them and clean ITM records, using LOOT to get my load order sorted appropriately, and find ITM records, WITHOUT one of those programs deciding to NEGATE everything done by one of the other programs.

EDITED:

My verdict is the Vortex is good for people that download mods, and are happy for Vortex to manage everything. When you make changes of your own (outside Vortex), Vortex creates a layer of technical difficulty that does not need to exist.

My verdict is the Vortex is good for people that download mods, but make no changes of their own, and do not design and use custom mods of their own.

In the interests of allowing OP to make an informed choice, I would strongly disagree with this claim. For the past year and a half, while using Vortex, I have made and continue to make significant changes to my mods, and I have used and continue to use custom mods of my own. Vortex happily complies with my every modding wish. I also use xEdit, and Vortex has never had fits about this.

As for LOOT, Vortex doesn't try to be LOOT. Vortex uses LOOT and operates directly from the LOOT masterlist. Having modded seriously for twelve years, I find the marriage (well, maybe it's just and engagement) of Vortex and LOOT to be the best thing to have happened in my own modding experience.

As for FNIS, it operates every bit as well for my Vortex managed games as it did when using it with NMM and MO.

Finally, for me, one of the best features in Vortex is the external change monitoring and reporting. This is a very helpful way to stay informed about your mod setup and not make stupid mistakes.

Edited by AugustaCalidia

Guest deleted34304850

can i ask, why have you made several references to what is in the data folder, and how you find it "cluttered"?

given that the only thing you need to worry about is that all the assets are present in the data folder, whatever else is in there is surely irrelevant?

i would want everything in the data folder, regardless, a "cluttered" data folder is totally irrelevant as long as the game works, surely?

Only the user can tell if the product he is using is good or not for his/her own interests.

In my case, Vortex is the program I use and with which I am very happy. Apart from being simple to use, it is absolutely reliable than NMM, but everyone must be convinced of this and the only way to find out is to use VORTEX ... there is no other way.

As a casual user, I have about 50 profiles set up spanning all the Bethesda games, Sims 3 and 4, Monster Hunter World, and Witcher 3 among others. Oh - and No Man's Sky and Kerbal Space Program.

At 50 mods per (average), that makes about 2500 mods being managed by Vortex.

It does everything I want in a mod manager. I have no problems to complain about. I like Vortex - a lot. You would actually have to force me to go back to either NMM or MO 2.

Guest deleted34304850

As a casual user, I have about 50 profiles set up spanning all the Bethesda games, Sims 3 and 4, Monster Hunter World, and Witcher 3 among others. Oh - and No Man's Sky and Kerbal Space Program.

At 50 mods per (average), that makes about 2500 mods being managed by Vortex.

It does everything I want in a mod manager. I have no problems to complain about. I like Vortex - a lot. You would actually have to force me to go back to either NMM or MO 2.

adopts codworth voice - i can only imagine the state of your data directory! it triggers my cleaning sensors like you wouldn't believe!