4K TVs for Computer Monitor?

The correct viewing distance for a 55" screen is 7 to 11 feet, by sitting 3 or less feet away it's the same as being too close to a phone display. My phone has a PPI of 806 and close up I can see the difference from my last phone that had a PPI of 534. Viewing distance and PPI are kind of linked, the lower the PPI the further you need to be away from it, sitting 3 feet away from a 80 PPI panel I noticed that it didn't look that great.

There's nothing wrong with using a TV if you want a huge monitor but I think anyone reading this is thinking of doing it they should know both the ups and downs.

• 4 weeks later...

after about 15 month using my lg 55" oled tv as a pc monitor i'm quite impressed. no problems so far with the tv. picture is as clean as in the beginning. no burn in or pixel failure. the image quality is still a dream. it think it needs a lttle more power than a comparable lcd screen but that is the only minor downside i experienced.

I use a 40in UHD HDR television as my primary monitor.

First, I like viewing the gaming screen over my toes, and a larger monitor simply makes that easier.

Second, in spite of all the statistics, televisions are manufactured to be more robust and tolerate a wider range of conditions. So they tend to last longer than simple monitors.

Now, a larger screen surface does present some challenges. Most specifically in the area of applications and text sizes. For myself, I set the resolution as high as I can and them set the image size as low as I can and still read the text. The reward tor this is that when working at the desk making mods or typing in forums, I am not overwhelmed with huge text and have a much larger viewing area.

I also have two 32in Display Port monitors which increase the work surface when working on mods. The render window on the big screen, and forms and lists on the other two. Makes working on mods a lot easier.

Finally, to prevent picture burn, I have the inactivity limit set to ten minutes and then a blank screen. I also use the features in the Television which will power the TV off if it is idle for a fifteen minutes. So now when I fall asleep at my desk, my monitors and TV aren't punished. :D

I use a 40in UHD HDR television as my primary monitor.

First, I like viewing the gaming screen over my toes, and a larger monitor simply makes that easier.

Second, in spite of all the statistics, televisions are manufactured to be more robust and tolerate a wider range of conditions. So they tend to last longer than simple monitors.

Now, a larger screen surface does present some challenges. Most specifically in the area of applications and text sizes. For myself, I set the resolution as high as I can and them set the image size as low as I can and still read the text. The reward tor this is that when working at the desk making mods or typing in forums, I am not overwhelmed with huge text and have a much larger viewing area.

I also have two 32in Display Port monitors which increase the work surface when working on mods. The render window on the big screen, and forms and lists on the other two. Makes working on mods a lot easier.

Finally, to prevent picture burn, I have the inactivity limit set to ten minutes and then a blank screen. I also use the features in the Television which will power the TV off if it is idle for a fifteen minutes. So now when I fall asleep at my desk, my monitors and TV aren't punished. :D

That's very thoughtful of you. :D

I would love to have a large screen tv for my monitor, but, I would need a bigger desk first. :smile:

Watch out with bigger screens for monitor when you sit close by. I have a second TV of 42" (105cm) and while only five inch/12cm larger than the one I currently use, I get motion sickness while gaming with the larger TV because I sit only a foot or two away.

I would love to have a large screen tv for my monitor, but, I would need a bigger desk first. :smile:

Watch out with bigger screens for monitor when you sit close by. I have a second TV of 42" (105cm) and while only five inch/12cm larger than the one I currently use, I get motion sickness while gaming with the larger TV because I sit only a foot or two away.

Played with a VR headset at work the other day.... That was fun, but, I was disoriented for the rest of the day. :)

Played with a VR headset at work the other day.... That was fun, but, I was disoriented for the rest of the day. :smile:

LOL ... disoriented or perhaps more disoriented. You were after all at work. I would find that very disorienting if I had to subject myself to such things again.

Good to see you again JimmyR!

Played with a VR headset at work the other day.... That was fun, but, I was disoriented for the rest of the day. :smile:

Motion sickness can happen (not everyone has the same level of sensitivity to it) when the whole of the avilable angle of vision of both your eyes is encompassed inside the vision you're presented with, meaning that whatever movement in what you see in the picture can no longer be compard to the real world and your brain thinks that the movement in the picture IS the real world and does everything possible to correct your balance, causing dizzyness.

I've never worn VR glasses or helmet, but I can imagine getting desoriented by it. I think your brain needs a moment to adapt to the new surrounding to get its bearing.

I could understand a moment or so of disorientation when first putting on/taking off a VR headset.... but, for me, it lasted several hours...... Rather an odd sensation. Even for me. :D

I got a raging headache and was struggling to keep my lunch down, it wasn't what I would consider an immersive experience. :laugh: