The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

It felt a bit strange to me as well to be reminded of the limit, on the other hand I disagree with the statement that we should demand something. It is more complicated.

If you would look at how many people downloaded Creation club patches, you would realize how much money Bethesda is making out of their paid version of mods just from a few thousands of their fans, while this is free site with a lot of crap mods, which take the space and it is hard to search them for something valuable. So Nexus does need more money than Bethesda and is paid less, so there could be some frustration.

On the other hand I felt guilty for not paying anything (I can't even), so I started to create mods to contribute atleast somehow. But even if I would be a rich person I cannot imagine what kind of services I would cut off for paying customers but still making this site friendly to all creative people.

On the other hand this site is based on good will, so good PR is something needed so players would pay for some sort of patreon, which they wouldn't if they feel intimidated. But even that patreon is not really propagated. If I look at youtubers - they are saying in a friendly way that there is their patreon for contributions - I don't know if that works for them.

So while Bethesda can afford to kick players who don't pay, I'm not sure a free service can do it? But I guess people are afraid of that it will end up like with some free to play games - it started like: we are free to play, feel free to support us - and ended with: pay us or suffer even if we are free to use.

But it is like in life - someone is trying their best to be friendly but only to be spanked around, while others are more focused on their own gain, but they are good at lying and twisting facts, and they are praised. I guess it is all about what is visible for most of people sadly. I almost never find a person who would be able to see reality of someone else.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the non paying members are posting from a free internet access café, I always find it hard to understand how people claim they "can't afford" to pay for a membership, have no problem paying for the internet service that allows the same people to complain how the can't afford a membership.

Download caps have been in place since 2007.

Until recently, it used to be the case that free users got 1 MB/s max. We actually increased the download cap to 2 MB/s for free users who don't adblock, as well as supporters (who don't get ads either). Free users who do adblock are still capped at 1 MB/s as they have been for a long time.

The banners you are seeing since this week are new, but they are just informing you of the caps that have been in place for a very long time already. They are there to incentivise people to buy Premium memberships. You don't have to, of course, but the reality is that without Premium members we wouldn't be able to run the site as we are running it now.

And if everyone was a free user with adblock, then the site wouldn't exist at all.

I said i could have misunderstood, now didn't i? It's just that appearing now out of the blue was a bit confusing for me. Still i'm *not* against paying services, (for me paying, it depends from which service, but still) i was just wondering why all so sudden. Funny is also how some people here which *aren't* memebers of the staff gets so upset and so fast. Especially while members of the staff don't get mad for just some random comments here and there. Bah.

Edited by NicotineCaffeine

Funny is also how some people here which *aren't* memebers of the staff gets so upset and so fast.

IKR?

Just read how upset the OP is.

IKR? OP? Sorry i'm too old for these abbreviations... What do they mean?

Edited by NicotineCaffeine

Funny is also how some people here which *aren't* memebers of the staff gets so upset and so fast.

IKR?

IKR = I know, right?

OP = Original Post/Poster

You're "Too old" for these abbreviations?

I'm 54, you're 33, and I know what IKR and OP mean.

IKR?

IKR = I know, right?

OP = Original Post/Poster

You're "Too old" for these abbreviations?

I'm 54, you're 33, and I know what IKR and OP mean.

But you're up-to-date.

I have a question about payment for the services here. I've always wanted to get the premium membership service, but I don't use or want to use credit cards anymore, I'm through with them. I pay for everything with cash or money orders.

So, is there any other methods to be able to make a payment? What about using a Paysafecard or any other options?