How to make a custom worlspace from Heightmap

In addition to the information from Neeher's video, you can use texconv.exe included in the game folder (Fallout 4\Tools\Elric\texconv.exe), which is a command line tool to convert your image to dds, I've tested it from png and tga and it works just fine, there you have the command I use:

texconv.exe -w 3873 -h 3873 -y -f R32_FLOAT -ft DDS "C:\Path\To\The\Heightmap.tga"

The documentation here: https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texconv

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooohhhhh!!!!!

So the solution was "right under my nose" the whole time!?!?!?!?!?!

Damm it! :laugh:

This just keeps happening to me ..... The solution to my problems is alway "right there", but the difficult thing is to actually see it.

Well, one does never stop learning ....

Another tutorial is this: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/809556-from-l3dt-to-skyrim-heightmap-tutorial/

I know it the post has missing images and has a few errors, is for Skyrim so it may look sketchy at first.

It is believed that Skyrim and Fallout 4 uses the same unit setup so everything in this tutorial should apply for Fo4 too.

If you try reading the comments in the post you'll learn about the errors made in the original post and you should be able to piece things together.

You're also introduced to new applications, L3DT and tesannwyn and the tutorial does not base the tutorial map of a real world map (which may be desirable for Fallout, I guess).

If you take the time trying to understand the application and the flow, L3DT can easily import a heightmap / bitmap from eg. terrain.party

Also, L3DT can auto smooth the vertices (via L3DT filters) for you. Eg. if you're happy with the result, no need to manually smooth the map.

I used about a day trying and failing with this tutorial, but it worked.

Wow, L3DT is awesome! Thanks for telling me about it! I'm currently playing around with importing heightmaps from local geography!

What is the largest worldmap we can use in FO4? I know that the Massachusetts map is scaled down by a factor of about 27.57... So I assume I could do something similar.

Of course this only works if I can figure out procedural generation for stuff like trees also. God knows I'm not placing them by hand :p

Maybe an xEdit script?

> What is the largest worldmap we can use in FO4?

Not investigated it myself so I can't give any answer now. So far I have not found proper information about it and I guess the answer is more complicated than n cells * n cells.

> Of course this only works if I can figure out procedural generation for stuff like trees also. God knows I'm not placing them by hand

I guess xEdit script can do this, but have you tried the region generator in Creation Kit. If you take some time to understand it and the quirks, the generator can produce decent results. No need to switch back and forth between xEdit and CK.

At least the built-in generator may save you from some chores :wink:

I found "Hoddminirs Region Generation Guide for Skyrim" helpful.

There was a web/html version of the tutorials, but the articles should exist as PDFs here, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63165

As far as I found out, the largest worldspace you can create in FO4 would have the following dimensions:

Exterior cells:

X Axis: - 64 ---> + 63

Y Axis: - 254 ---> + 255

One cell is 59,5 x 59,5 m large, so that would mean the map could be 7488 m east/west and 29835 m north/south.

If you go larger on the X axis then -64/+63 there will be a bug, like in skyrim.

If I understand correctly ...

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

> So the .esp files that Tesannwyn creates can be used with FO4?

Read zilav's comment in this thread :wink:

I know that the "worldspace" format is the same, but is there a thing like "the FO4 CK can't open this esp because it is a older version", or something like that?

I know with .nif files there is stuff like that ...