NWN2 install on Win XP 64 Bit guide/help

KateTHeaToMiCuTeRuS

OMG! I just saw some of the uploaded pics and I got so excited! They're awesome. I am a long time fan of these older games. My fave id Hordes of the Underdark. I grew up watching my older brother playing Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale and I read many of his old D&D books.

I have NWN installed on my PC (win xp 64 bit) I can play Oblivion with Brittainy's L&G Floria and LOD mods on full and all that jazz. However I remember that I had a problem installing it on my rig way back when and I was hoping that someone here could provide a solution. It was a real downer because NWN original and the 2 expansion packs worked great but NWN2 would not install on 64bit windows.

Any suggestions? I am really wanting to play it...

Cheers -kate-

By D&D books, do you mean the game sourcebooks, or the novels? I'm reading one of the novels at the moment, myself.

As for NWN2, it is a great and fun game. :) I've never tried it on XP, nor on a 64-bit OS, but there's a thread here that has a detailed guide for all the requirements (which I'm sure you meet), and instructions on installation order and such. (Installation begins in the 4th post).

http://social.biowar...8/index/3116296

Hopefully that'll work for you. I'm using Vista, myself, and didn't have any trouble installing it and the expansions with the auto-updater. After installing it, though, there were a lot of settings to change away from the defaults to make the game behave more comfortably in its interface, and especially to calm down the overly-sensitive camera control.

After you've got it all installed, I recommend Kornstalx's NWN2 Hotkeys v1.05a to change the camera control from the middle mouse button to the right one. This also has the effect of allowing you to move forward by holding both left and right mouse buttons, rotating the camera at the same time in whatever direction you want to move. Though for best effects you should use click-to-move by clicking on the ground where you want your character to move, because that way prevents your companions from getting stuck on scenery most of the time, and also helps with the rubber-banding movement.

To fix the sensitive camera, you need to edit the nwn2player.ini file. These are the settings I found to be comfortable:

[Character Mode Options]

Mouse_Turn_Min=0.050000

Mouse_Turn_Max=3.000000

And the same settings for Exploration mode and Strategy mode.

In the key config, I changed the Group Select key to "=", to be the same as in Baldur's Gate. This key doesn't work if you have the camera set to Character Mode.

I also use the NWN2 Client Extension, which fixes a timing bug that can cause the background to move in a kind of choppy stutter when panning.

I'm also attaching what my settings screen looks like for Exploration mode, which is the mode I like best. Though you might prefer to enable marquee selection of party members instead of hold-to-move. Not shown are the graphic settings, but I recommend keeping them as high as you can, at 1920x1080 if possible, and if you need to reduce anything, then turn off the point light shadows (which sometimes create overly harsh shadows anyway), no rendering of far distant shadows, and character shadow quality set to medium. Keep environmental shadows at all costs.

Edited by Tchos

It definitely runs on Windows XP 64 bit as that was what I used to play it on even though my laptop wasn't even supposed to be capable of it due to the graphics card. It's going to take a while but make sure you update it all after installation too.

Okies thanks you two. That's a whole lot of good info and it looks like I got some reading and planning to do. Well looks like I have something to do this weekend. LoL

And I meant the small salvador books about that drow guy. My older brother had them and he got me into wheel of time too.

*********dream request******

someone creates an entire overhaul on the oblivion platform of the entire WOT world.... heheehe

And I meant the small salvador books about that drow guy. My older brother had them and he got me into wheel of time too.

Ah, the Icewind Dale books, I guess, with Drizzt. I read the first of those. Currently I'm reading an Elminster one. :)

Hope the installation goes well!

Yes Drizzt. He was awesome in the original Baldur's Gate LoL The later Drizzt books got better. The installation is on hold for just a little while. Family stuff going on this weekend and into the week ahead but when it's done I can't wait to send my bro a pic of me in Neverwinter! It is going to be such a great feeling to one up him hehehe I can't wait!

cheers -kate-