Visual Perk Editor

rf900

Hm... hex editor keeps sayin can't find "no matter what I put into". Seems like the OLD hex values from your program are not in the upk itself or I'm doing something wrong...

hmm strange! I seem to have no problem finding them in uncompressed xcomgame.upk

Make sure when ur searching for the values, that you click the drop down tab on "data type" and select Hex Values, and click the search direction "all".

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm nothing I tried works... The uncompressed Xcomgame.upk is about 11.698 kb, I open it in HxD and paste the code. I selected Hex Values and ALL an still no luck. Do I have to copy one row at a time or the whole column (it's big cause I made a lot of changes). Either way it can;t find anything... Im'm stuck, I think I'll just wait for a mod manager or something :) Thanks anyway! Edited by zerothenumber

Hm nothing I tried works... The uncompressed Xcomgame.upk is about 11.698 kb, I open it in HxD and paste the code. I selected Hex Values and ALL an still no luck. Do I have to copy one row at a time or the whole column (it's big cause I made a lot of changes). Either way it can;t find anything... Im'm stuck, I think I'll just wait for a mod manager or something :) Thanks anyway!

(go to youtubefullscreen and HD)

I was just doing one line at a time, try it like this just to see if u can find it.

Also if ur copying the whole GetPerkInTree"heavy,sniper,assault,etc"Weapons.Function values, those must be editted in the "unpacked" Xcomgame.upk function files( unpacking the uncompressed upk into folders).

Edited by miked79

Click the Generate Mod link to get the list of HEX old and new replacement values.

When we have a working GUI for XCOM Mod Manager, I may be able to build support into the program to parse that and create a distributable mod. It depends, but we'll see.

Or, you could build support for ModMaker (the java sub-program which actually generates the mod file) into your program. Instead of modifying the upk, you'd just have to modify the unpacked file. That sounds easier, but whatever. :D

Whichever happens first, I guess. ;)

EDIT: I noticed you used a browser as your gui. I considered doing that, also. But, java has decent a decent gui builder, and I wouldn't learn anything new doing another client-server app. I'd much rather someone else did the gui for me. /sigh

Edited by Daemonjax

Actually I am giving the values to replace in the UPK but also below the values to change each function of the unpacked version. So people can generate the new function files and then use the ModMaker to install them. Will think on the GUI, still Java is not my main strength.

Actually I am giving the values to replace in the UPK but also below the values to change each function of the unpacked version.

As long as either the original data (with the upk filename), or the changes with offsets (and complete path to the original unpacked file) are somehow displayed and copy/pastable, then it won't be too difficult for me to add support for this. There's several ways to make it work, too many to list... i.e. you could also just treat ModMaker as a black box and just feed it the information that it wants without needing to understand how it works at all. Either way, I'm sure they'll play together one day. We'll see what happens. ;)

Will think on the GUI, still Java is not my main strength.

Oh, heh, I was just thinking out loud about how I don't want to write my own GUI... they take time and effort and require so many changes and mockups to look great. The mere thought of doing one for free makes me die a little inside. I wasn't implying you should use java for yours. :D

Edited by Daemonjax

Hum, I loaded a savegame with the modifed perks and some of them are correct but others not... Wonder if I had miss something. Any easy cheat to enable all perks from start to see if the modifications actually work fine?

Hum, I loaded a savegame with the modifed perks and some of them are correct but others not... Wonder if I had miss something. Any easy cheat to enable all perks from start to see if the modifications actually work fine?

I know of no such cheat, but I am usually loading a save game with all colonels to check if they received perks as expected.

For me it is easier to work with the individual perks functions in unpacked file & rebuild it afterwards - that way I can isolate the changes better.

BTW: I could not get your Perk Editir to work - it was giving me strings I could not locate in files, so I created an XLS perk editor with all the classes / perk list & Hex values (much shorter strings) which have to be changed in the files.

It's quite handy as it gives you visual representation of what perks goes where in the tree - to the left or to the right side. I have been messing with my soldiers today and it worked like a charm - you just need to be careful how you change hexes (especially when you move perks between levels).

Do you know how I can upload that file to forum?

Hello there Ive had the exact same problems as Zerothenumber had. Meaning I tried too change the values but couldnt find them.

So here are my Fast Set Values: 1,2,3,6,5,6,7,23,9,10,48,12,13,15,14,17,16,19,20,23,21,10,48,24,25,26,27,27,29,36,31,23,33,10,48,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48

If you could change the file for me and upload it I would appriciate it.

Btw: could it be because we have different versions of the game in the sense of different regions? Im from EU myself.

Edit: You where right here is the new values

1,2,3,6,5,11,7,23,9,10,48,12,13,15,14,17,16,19,20,23,21,10,48,24,25,26,27,27,29,36,31,23,33,10,48,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48

After this all I need is to find a way to get psi lab close to the start of the game and Im good ^^. Been editing the exe file so my armors give more hp and my soldiers start with less hp = lower downtime. And made so each armor type is and upgrade, so PSI armor is the end game armor instead of ghost armor, never understood the thinking behind that one.

Edited by Miin

Need to review the tool, you are right I cannot find the values in the UPK file I also have the EU version. I have used the second method of replacing the function files and repack, but still got funny things. I noticed that in the levels with two abilitties I have them the other way around, thought it didn't matter but maybe it does.

Will look into it and probably generate another list for EU versions.

One thing about your list, you have the value 6 repeated at the beginning, are you sure you want it that way?

Edited: Ok, found it, my fault, Nolanoth list had it ok and I didn't noticed the values were in a different order. So right now in the levels with two abilities, the HEX codes are changed between them. Will fix it tomorrow.

Edited by rf900